Search

.com Forum · Alaskan Malamute

Replies in this thread : 460
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
<< prev page next page >>

CS Astronomical
Basic User

Basic User
4/30/2015 5:05:13 AM reply with quote send message to CS Astronomical Object to Post

Thanks Drake for the update! That is indeed interesting...I would have expected more movement on the traits

Congrats to all who did well at the SDWC last night!

I am mostly working on getting puppies sessioned and ready to show right now, as well as finishing the few who are currently showing. I've got 2 sitting at 14 points and another who just needs a major. for breeding, I'm working on 2 projects-hoping to get that 9.9 in head or size, as well as raising TNB since it seems that a lot of judges have that as high or very high in conjunction with our other higher weighted traits.

I just put my first 96er up for stud-hopefully he will get a few girls looking!

the new judges should be interesting.. sorry to see Blanca go but i think the new ones will be fairly good for us!
 Tanglebrook
Basic User

Basic User
4/30/2015 3:01:15 PM reply with quote send message to Tanglebrook Object to Post

Hello everyone. happy :) I am returning to the game after a few years away and I just bought a Mal from bryerwood kennel because it was an opportunity to have a dog ready for the show ring earlier. I am excited to see such an active community and look forward to chatting with you all. happy :)
 CS Astronomical
Basic User

Basic User
4/30/2015 5:18:06 PM reply with quote send message to CS Astronomical Object to Post

Welcome back! I too returned in January after an extensive 9 year break....can't believe it took me so long! Good luck with your mal-looks like a good one! Feel free to drop by to chat anytime!
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
5/1/2015 3:45:14 AM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Hi Tanglebrook, welcome to the breed! laugh :D Also, welcome back to the game, I’m another older player that returned although I wouldn’t say recently as it was months ago. Hope you enjoy malamutes, and let us know if you have any questions, need anything, would like some pointers. happy :) I look forward to chatting with you, I love the community in this breed and I hope you will as well. happy :)

CS, I thought there would have been more improvement too, but there are still a lot of dogs being shown with lesser traits that are pulling the averages down, looking over them all I noticed that 9.8 head and size are still pretty rare and that there are a lot of dogs with 9.6 and 9.5 heads in the ring. TNB jumped a lot though, so it seems like people are making a real effort to improve the breed’s weakest trait. happy :)

I wish you the best of luck on your trait breeding project. happy :) I’d love to see a mal with a 9.9 that would be awesome ^^, I’m almost positive that one doesn’t currently exist or at least if it does I haven’t seen it.

The highest traits I’ve observed are as follows:

Head: 9.8
FQ: 9.7
HQ: 9.4
Gait: 10.2
Tnb: 9.4
Coat: 9.7
Size: 9.8
Temp: 9.7
Feet: 9.6
updated

This is off course only looking at dogs on the top dog list and that people have posted here; dogs with higher traits than those listed could certainly exist, but not that I’ve seen. Wouldn’t it be great if someone could breed all those high traits onto a single dog? If there was a single dog with all the high traits listed above it would be 97.35% SOP. wink ;)

I’ll definitely need to look into your 96er stud later, but right now I don’t have anyone open for breeding, which is a shame. -.-‘

As for the judges; Orlando looks like he could be good for mals, but the fact that he rates tnb and HQ high is off-putting since those are the breeds’ weakest traits. Then again, he really likes size and judges that like size that much usually also like mals, so we shall see how he will rate them. Wesley on the other hand… I’m not sure about him, his trait preferences are all over the place, so he’s a wild card. I don’t think he likes size enough though. I can’t wait to try them both out though. happy :)

-----
Last edited by Drake Creek Meadows on 5/2/2015 2:50:44 AM
 CirclingSky
Basic User

Basic User
5/1/2015 4:55:30 AM reply with quote send message to CirclingSky Object to Post

Wow-9.7 fore? that's impressive. I have two 9.4 TNBs-one that was never shown and one still sessioning.

It is awesome that we have made so much progress with the breed, even in the few short months I've been here. Kudos to all!!

congrats to all on the wins in the National Specialty last night!

-----
Last edited by CirclingSky on 5/1/2015 5:09:53 PM
 CS Astronomical
Basic User

Basic User
5/1/2015 4:45:25 PM reply with quote send message to CS Astronomical Object to Post

So I got this boy today....his adjusted SOP is 96.1 and he has 9.8 head and size out of a stud with 9.8 head and size. if anyone is interested, make an offer. I will take less than $100 if anyone wants him!

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13985947
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
5/2/2015 2:41:02 AM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

A 9.4tnb? That’s fantastic! I haven’t seen one that high personally, but it’s great to know that the weakest trait has been raised up there to match HQ. I will need to update that on the list I posted. happy :)

Also yep, I have seen a couple mals with 9.7 FQ now, just FHed one the other day in fact, but I also kept a dog with 9.7FQ:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13983121

Going to keep him for breeding, because he’s a solid dog all around, and he’s got high FQ and HQ locked down in his pedigree, so the chance he can pass it along is high. happy :)

Oh and yes, congrats to all who did well at the national last night, especially to Kianya with Thief Of Hearts, that was one heck of a victory. happy :) I’m happy to see all the success everyone’s been having lately, it seems to be spread out rather evenly between the top kennels. happy :)

Have you seen our new point schedule? O.o 6 dogs and 4 bitches to make a major… that’s the highest I’ve ever seen it. We are averaging 10 dogs per show though, so no shortage of majors, but with completion this stiff, every victory feels weightier, and that’s a good thing. happy :)

Man CS; that boy is very tempting, but I just can’t afford the space. -.-‘ That bums me out though, I’d take him if I wouldn’t have to throw out another dog to do so.

Speaking of throwing out dogs… would anyone be interested in this boy?

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13952511

I’m going to FH him tomorrow as he’s now taking up valuable space in my kennel, but he’s so nice I figure I’ll try one last time to find him a home; it’s going to be a shame to FH him, but I just can’t keep him.
 Rosa Nera
Basic User

Basic User
5/2/2015 4:15:20 PM reply with quote send message to Rosa Nera Object to Post

Just a little brag on my newest showgirl...

AH Natural Disaster aka Kat (short for Katrina lol) www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13988303

I know there are higher in the breed, but at 96.30 she is my highest SOP to date.
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
5/3/2015 3:37:56 AM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

Wow, who cares about the SOP being a bit lower; I do believe this is the best malamute I have seen to date, congratulations on breeding such a beauty! She's definitely no disaster, that's for sure. razz :p

Oh yeah, and our breed page was just added to the SD Chronicle:

www.sdchronicle.com/alaskanmalamutes.html

Isn't it great? ^^ Oh and Stanza, your boy This is Just a Dream will be added in as being the #1 mal for April that information was just missing at the time this was added, so don't worry he will have recognition. happy :)

Anyway, if you guys can think of anything that needs to be changed or added then you should get that information together so it can be submitted. happy :)

-----
Last edited by Drake Creek Meadows on 5/3/2015 3:42:20 AM
 CS Astronomical
Basic User

Basic User
5/3/2015 4:46:30 AM reply with quote send message to CS Astronomical Object to Post

Beautiful puppy Rosa Nera! She is definitely something to be proud of!

Great job on the SD Chronicles page Drake! That will be really nice to have to list accomplishments for the breed. Congrats to all for those accomplishments-especially the highest GCH points dogs...really hard to get those points these days with so much competition! As well the awards of merit!!

I can't remember who but I think there's a kennel showing mals in obedience-might be nice to add those titles too. Also, Tribern has a co-highest SOP www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13875182 if you want to add him too.

edited to add: I actually have my own brag too! Dragon Flame just hit 101 GCH points!
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13803385

-----
Last edited by CS Astronomical on 5/3/2015 8:40:10 AM
 Rosa Nera
Basic User

Basic User
5/3/2015 12:56:46 PM reply with quote send message to Rosa Nera Object to Post

Thank you Drake and CS

And congrats CS on you GCH points. She is a great bitch.

The page looks amazing Drake. Thank you for taking the time to supply all our info.

The editor of the SD chronicle says only the first (oldest) dog born with the new Top SOP will listed. Which means Tribern's pup should be the one listed, but when I tried to submit him, he was still unnamed. And you can't submit an unnamed pup.

-----
Last edited by Rosa Nera on 5/3/2015 12:58:04 PM
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2015 2:23:25 AM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

Thanks CS, but I didn’t make the page, I just got the info together and submitted it; all credit for the site and the design goes to rhondacline. I do agree that’s it’s great to be able to see everything and once and conveniently displayed like this. happy :) Also, congrats on making over 100 GCH points! That’s awesome ^^, I will go ahead and submit that dog to appear in the next update. happy :)

Thanks to you as well Stanza. happy :)

As for obedience, I was thinking about it when I was getting everything together, but there’s no way to search it up, no list for titled obedience dogs, and I have no idea who’s doing it in this breed. If anyone can find that information, I’d be happy to get it added to the page. It’d be fantastic to get the obedience dogs some recognition. happy :)

Oh and, I knew about that dog, but at the time I was getting everything together, he wasn’t named and rhondacline was not accepting unnamed dogs; like Stanza noted, so I went with the named one instead. I will definitely resubmit him now that he has a name though, because I feel like the first one should be the one to get the recognition too.

Anyway, it was my pleasure guys, and I’m glad you like it, feels like time well spent. happy :)
 CirclingSky
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2015 4:49:52 AM reply with quote send message to CirclingSky Object to Post

In any case Drake and anyone else who contributed, its still pretty cool to have all of our breed accomplishments on one page!

This may be a stupid question, but can all of you guys access this thread from the malamute forum? For some reason, I have been unable to see the thread on the forum, so have to access it from "my posts". Trying to figure out what happened and why!
 Alaskanmist
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2015 6:23:52 PM reply with quote send message to Alaskanmist Object to Post

Wow talk about blink and you miss it! LOL this chat totally exploded over the last day or so laugh :D

I also have the problem trying to find the chat thread without accessing it through my post I can see it on our malamute page, not sure why. Maybe an email to admin?

There has been so much happening and so many great new dogs popping up all over the place laugh :D its so exciting to check the show results each day!

Thanks also for arranging all the details to be put up on the site its great to see it all there
 Skywalk
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2015 7:49:58 PM reply with quote send message to Skywalk Object to Post

I have been doing obedience with my boy, we are training for his last title at the moment laugh :D hopefully not to much longer now!

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13767477
 SKL Borzoi
Basic User

Basic User
5/5/2015 8:32:55 PM reply with quote send message to SKL Borzoi Object to Post

I have been doing a little trait breeding, got a 10 in gait and 10.4 in HQ.
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13990314
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
5/6/2015 2:49:05 AM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

CS, now that you mention it; I can't see the thread from the breed forum. -.-' I hadn't even noticed, because I never get here from that forum; I use latest topics to browse the forums. That's weird though... I wonder why it's not showing up? Newer breeders won't be able to find the thread as easily which is bad as they may not realize it exists t all. :/ This might be something to contact Jeff about...

Congrats on you obediance titles Skywalk! happy :) I don't know if one dog is enough to submit, since it's not enough for a list, but he's a start. happy :) And congrats on your trait breeding success SKL, that's awesome. ^^

I don't think I'll add that gait to my highest trait counter though, since this dog is from color lines and though special traits pop up all the time among those dogs, they never seem to actually pass them along. If her offspring also have a gait that nice then I will change my stance. I'd definitely linebreed on her and try to lock that awesome gait down though. ^^

Also, Drakes Weathering the Storm is now at stud:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13923382

95.7%/20ss, red and white, $50 10.75. Should pass along high forequarter and temperament, as his pedigree has been constructed with these traits in mind, and all of his other traits can be pulled up, greats for a balanced stud option, and the price is right. happy :)

-----
Last edited by Drake Creek Meadows on 5/6/2015 3:14:19 AM
 SKL Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
5/7/2015 9:51:40 PM reply with quote send message to SKL Kennel Object to Post

SKL Shameless at stud 96.25% $50

now,www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13912901
 Royal Breeze
Basic User

Basic User
5/8/2015 11:59:15 AM reply with quote send message to Royal Breeze Object to Post

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13897336

First homebred champion Malamute!

Also first 96.00 SOP to, things are going well!

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13998528
 CS Astronomical
Basic User

Basic User
5/8/2015 6:15:34 PM reply with quote send message to CS Astronomical Object to Post

Congrats Royal Breeze!

and will defnitely look for a girl to match with your boy, SKL!

Also, I started a new community thread in the forum since several people could not see this thread from the forum page-figured it might help out new people in the breed if they can actually "see" we have an active forum.Up to you guys whether we switch over or not!

Replies in this thread : 460
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.