Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 51
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/28/2018 10:19:49 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Well, I respect your perspective. The fact is, it is not a "problem" for me at all - I'm just fine with things as they are.

To attempt to clarify, as I see it, those "100" breeds have reached perfection as currently defined. They should of course be congratulated on their success. They have, so to speak, crossed the finish line.

It has been suggested that we move the finish line for everyone, changing the definition of perfection so that these two or three breeds can continue leading this extended race. (I wonder how that would go over in real life.)

My proposal offers these breeders choices - they can choose to breed backward for a generation (through source dogs) and then take another run at "perfect", they can pick up a different breed to take another run at "perfect", or they can continue with their lines to close in even tighter to that definition of perfection. The "problem" with that last option is that you can no longer see any difference in the pups - makes culling rather difficult.

As I noted previously, there are apparently still differences that we can not see but judges can. If those folks want to continue as things are, to see who has the most excellent dog among the excellent that's fine. We don't have to make them use sources. We don't have to do anything.

Continually moving the finish line will not solve the dilemma. Moving the finish line (subject to personal interpretation of course) negatively impacts everyone except those "100" breeders. Let those "100" breeders choose the course they want to take. Let them decide when the situation is "critical" to their continued enjoyment of the game. To repeat - leave the rest of us out of it.

Most of us who have been through the previous resets will carry on after the next one should it happen. I feel as I have always that it is somehow unfair to the players in the rest of the breeds to continue to move the finish line.

Looking further ahead, eventually more and more breeds will enter the "100" club whether we reset or not. I'll not speculate what that will mean to the game because I'm not sure.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/28/2018 10:26:38 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Alternatively, we can just add another decimal place perhaps.
 ESAN
Basic User

Basic User
5/29/2018 1:18:25 AM reply with quote send message to ESAN Object to Post

That's what the last reset has done, showed another decimal and adjusted the SOP so we won't have 3 decimals. I was fine with that.
 Mijas
Basic User

Basic User
5/29/2018 3:15:53 AM reply with quote send message to Mijas Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I think gaylanstudio has a really good point... Why do anything at all?
If this were a role-playing game and you finished all the quests with a particular character build, you would either carry on with that build, maybe getting less of a challenge out of it, or you start again with a different build and create a new challenge that way.
So like gaylanstudio said, the top breeders can pick up new breeds or carry on with their 100 SOP dogs as long as they like.

And just from a coding perspective, if I were Jeff I'd want to code something that just happened automatically when a breed reached 100... so then it wouldn't need any intervention from him and would only a affect those breeds. Affecting one breed at a time doesn't need to mean multiple recodes

-----
Last edited by Mijas on 5/29/2018 3:19:14 AM
 DoogieG6521
Basic User

Basic User
5/29/2018 3:36:34 AM reply with quote send message to DoogieG6521 Object to Post

Yes, Gaylanstudio! These are exactly my feelings.
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
5/29/2018 7:05:03 AM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

Ultimately, it will be the more popular breeds that reach 100 sooner than others. It takes alot of players to move SOP quickly.

It's everyone's problem because it's just one more risk to losing players and the game overall.

Do you think Jeff is interested in putting any more development time into the game? Especially since there is already disagreement on an approach?!

K
 angus my golden retriver
Basic User

Basic User
5/29/2018 7:08:32 AM reply with quote send message to angus my golden retriver Object to Post

In reality I don't think Jeff is up to developing the game. He basically just keeps it running, so I doubt there'll be a reset or anything similar.
 Heavenly Hacienda
Basic User

Basic User
5/29/2018 8:48:54 PM reply with quote send message to Heavenly Hacienda Object to Post

I would be happy with simply improving the quality of the source dogs.. that way the breeds nearly gone have a legit chance at introducing new traits and colors without having to give up a years worth of showing.

There are breeds I would love to try and do more with, but they literally have no current SOP dogs.. and I just don’t want to climb the pure source breeding mountain.
 Pendragon
Basic User

Basic User
5/29/2018 9:43:48 PM reply with quote send message to Pendragon Object to Post

I seem to remember at the last 'reset' that there was not to be another - when we reached a certain stage, another decimal point would be added. Maybe since it has been awhile, we could add 2 more spots. The good breeds would still have the advantage (I think that would be the case no matter what we did as the most experienced breeders/players are in those breeds) but it would level the play within the breed. I would be in favor of this but not a hard reset or any of the other suggestions.
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/30/2018 4:43:04 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

I know this suggestion would upset some folks but...

What if when a breed hits 100... Jeff introduces a new breed to replace it.

Will
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/30/2018 4:50:11 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

I posted a basic poll in this forum.

www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=865801

Tell your friends!

Will

Replies in this thread : 51
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
A specialty show is a dog show which reviews a single breed, unlike other dog shows, particularly conformation shows, which are generally referred to as "all-breed" because they are open to all breeds recognized by the sponsoring kennel club.