Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : References for names
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
9/27/2018 12:08:48 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post   

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Following the thread started by Cwtch about Welsh names (and specialties), I thought it might be nice to have a thread especially for this. I have Arabian Horses on ShowHorse and also Salukis and Pharoah Hounds here. I use a number of sources.

For the Pharoahs I use this listing of known ancient Egyptions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ancient_Egyptians

For other more or less generic Arabic names:
https://www.babynameguide.com/categoryarabic.asp?strCat=Arabic
(They have lists for other ethnic/regional names too.)

I also have found a wealth of Arabic in the "Amelia Peabody" series by Elizabeth Peters. She has sadly passed away, 2013 I believe, so there will be no more but she was an archeologist/Egyptologist.

I also bought the two editions of Arabian horse (and Saluki) names by Bachir Bserani which I use for my Arabs and Salukis, especially when I get particularly blessed by the ShowHorse/ShowDog gods.

I frequently add the year as part of the name so that every 12 months I can reuse those really cool ones (Kassarat Al Qualb (18), Heart Breaker [Bserani], for example) and other simple names "John Of Yorks(17)", "John Of Yorks(18)". (In 12 real months most have crossed the ShowWhatever Eainbow Bridge.)

And while I am doing this, I silently apologize to those folks who actually know the language and cultures, for any errors or insults that I may commit in my ignorance.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 9/27/2018 12:20:37 PM
 Bailey Barns
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/27/2018 2:05:48 PM reply with quote send message to Bailey Barns Object to Post

When I first started playing, I used cocktail names. Now it's mostly book and song titles for the show dogs and a mishmash of parent names for project lines.
 Aussiewolfsister
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/28/2018 5:30:38 PM reply with quote send message to Aussiewolfsister Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

One of my favourite sources for names is the website:

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/

I will search a word e.g. midnight using the option to search book titles -- and get a lot of ideas.

Also a fun site to explore for names:

www.lowchensaustralia.com/names/

I have a lot of sites bookmarked and will gradually put up more

-----
Last edited by Aussiewolfsister on 9/28/2018 5:40:53 PM
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
9/28/2018 8:01:48 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

I google pedigrees a lot

For example if I want a name with "Dark"
I'll google GCH Pedigree Dark

then I just kind of browse the results to see if I find something I like or if I get some inspiration

For my Saluki I usually google Straight Egyptian Stallion pedigree and then look at a few pedigrees to get names

I've also googled Top Songs of XXXX any year will work

oh and I like PowerThesaurus - always great to find alternatives to the usual words and it gives lots of results.
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
9/28/2018 8:04:52 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

another thing I do a lot for names is pick a location and then google it

Cities (or Counties) in Nevada (Fill in your state of choice) - Certain states also have cities/counties that might give you different "themes" - native american/western/southern....

for the terriers I often look for villages in england
Irish Terriers - villages in Ireland
Scottish Deerhound - village in Scotland
Kuvasz - villages in Hungary

Loch Tay
Basic User

Basic User
10/2/2018 4:46:02 PM reply with quote send message to Loch Tay Object to Post

I use a huge hardback Thesaurus,when I'm stuck, there are online ones too, but I prefer a book.

Mostly I name dogs including words or meanings from both parents' names. I can keep track of bloodlines/ relationships easily.
If I get an astounding dog, I often name it something completely random and start a new naming thread if it's a good producer.
 AngelAviary
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/3/2018 4:18:28 PM reply with quote send message to AngelAviary Object to Post

I have a couple books that I have been using across the different dog games I play. I also do a lot of song names/lyrics like a lot of players. I tend to do simple names now, like with herding dogs, they usually don't have long fancy names.
My books Ive been using: The All-Breed Dictionary of Unusal Names. by Gloria Jarrett (I love this book! Its huge and Im still in the A's having a great time naming dogs!)
and I use: The Best Pet Name Book Ever by Wayne Eldridge, DVM (a great book split up nicely into different categories ie" Religious, Royalty/Titles, Foreign words/names etc.
 Foxfire Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2018 9:23:57 AM reply with quote send message to Foxfire Kennel Object to Post

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has themed names for my dogs! I have never been good at coming up with creative names so I always picked a theme. Currently in this kennel all my dogs have a movie title name. In the past in my other kennels I've used TV names, flowers, stars/planets, and my all time favorite but difficult theme was Lord of The Rings (huge LoTR geek lol)
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/13/2018 1:40:10 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Naming is sometimes one of the most entertaining, and challenging parts of the game - lol.

Glad to see everyone sharing their sources. I use a lot of them randomly. Sometimes while thinking, an old song or tv show or movie pops into memory and I go off at a tangent - spend hours following this or that trail on the internet. W-A-Y too many hours some days. Lol!

Good job I don't have a job (retired).

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.