Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 17

Author Topic : Meet Junior!
 Berry Brits
Basic User

System.__ComObject
4/15/2018 10:27:15 PM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

We picked up our Brittany pup this afternoon! happy :)

His name is Junior, and while we don't plan on showing him we will hunt with him and potentially do obedience as well.

He's a couple days short of 8 weeks old, and even though he got a little shaken up by the plane he seems no worse for wear! He's very calm whenever somebody cuddles with him and settles down well, but when he's awake and running he's a handful haha. Does anybody have any tips for dealing with puppies that like to gnaw/nibble? He tries to chew on everything aside from the numerous chewtoys we got him lol (including ones stuffed with food).

Here are some stacked photos from the breeder at 7 weeks (his two sides are very distinct!):

And some that we took once we got home:
mg src="i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i457/Hkis7/IMG_3679_zpsm3ijwnfb.jpg">

I'll be keeping this thread updated with pictures as he grows up. <3

-----
Last edited by Berry Brits on 5/25/2018 12:19:05 AM
 Rossett Spaniels
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/16/2018 12:59:49 AM reply with quote send message to Rossett Spaniels Object to Post

Cute pup.
Looks stressed probably why he is roachy..
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
4/16/2018 2:43:50 AM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

Yeah, the poor guy has reason to be stressed haha. New people, new house, and scary airplane/car rides. D: We’ll see how he does in the next few days. happy :)
 Dream Castle Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/17/2018 4:19:53 PM reply with quote send message to Dream Castle Kennels Object to Post

he is adorable!Maybe once hes home a little more,he will like those new toys better
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
4/18/2018 8:48:13 PM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

He’s definitely calmed down over the last few days! He’s started to like his toys a bit more and he doesn’t bite as much, though notably he likes to nip and chew at my youngest sister. XD

He’s also already learned come, sit and down! We’re working on his stay, but he’s one intelligent little pupper. <3 More pictures soon! Does anybody know if SD supports video? I’ve only ever seen people post images haha.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/19/2018 1:33:18 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Videos should work I think - all you do really is to post the link and it plays when we click on it. I'm no expert on videos so I could be wrong - lol.

I'm sure I have seen videos on ShowDog in the past.
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
4/26/2018 9:21:40 PM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

I couldn't get any videos to work but here's another pic! I'll try to get more of him in the days to come, he's very wiggly so it's hard to photograph haha.

In the last two weeks he's gained two pounds! We're going to get his next round of shots sometime next week; I'm looking forward to taking him to the park.

gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/26/2018 10:54:03 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

What gorgeous countryside!

Looks and sounds like he is settling in nicely.
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
4/26/2018 11:05:45 PM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

Thank you! We've got some nice scenery haha. He is settling in really well, we've nearly had him two weeks now and he's already king of the backyard. razz :p Luckily he's still wary of the pool, I don't want to tackle swimming until it's warm enough for me to swim with him lol.

Does anybody have some tips for teaching "fetch"? When he first got here he would return balls somewhat readily but now he's decided he'd prefer to run off with them instead...
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/27/2018 12:51:35 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

Cute puppy! For fetch, have you tried the two tennis ball thing (i.e. when he brings the ball back, throw a 2nd ball for him to fetch...he should drop the first one and go after the 2nd)? Also, keep him on a very light long line (maybe make a homemade one with a clip and paracord...very light) when working on fetch so that, if he doesn't come back to you on his own, you can reel him in and reward. The light long line would also work well for practicing recalls. I think Connie Cleveland once said you should try to practice 3 recalls with your puppy on a long line every time you take him out. If you take puppy out 5 times a day and practice 3 recalls each time, he should learn fairly quick. Here's a link to some of her free puppy (and other training) articles that you might find helpful: https://www.dogtrainersworkshop.com/must-read

Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
4/29/2018 10:01:04 AM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

Thank you so much for the advice and the link! laugh :D Using two balls is definitely helping a lot, I think he’s already starting to get the concept! The issue with making a line is that he gets so distracted by the wiggling leash/line that he forgets about the ball and just starts biting at it lol. The links on the website have been super helpful already though. happy :)
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
5/25/2018 12:17:20 AM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

A quick Junior update:
He's doing great! He's got fetch down pretty well now and loves playing frisbee in particular. happy :) He's already grown 10 pounds since we got him, and is now 18.6lbs! My little boy isn't so little anymore. D:

I'm going to try to get some stacked pictures of him soon but here are some of my favorites from a "photoshoot" we did today (my dad says that he has a "Blue Steel" look haha...):

ESAN
Basic User

Basic User
5/25/2018 4:48:42 AM reply with quote send message to ESAN Object to Post

He's growing so beautifully!
 Diasonia
Basic User

Basic User
5/25/2018 7:37:39 AM reply with quote send message to Diasonia Object to Post

He's so gorgeous!
 Barkinmad
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/25/2018 11:34:43 AM reply with quote send message to Barkinmad Object to Post

he is lovely
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
5/25/2018 10:14:02 PM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

Thanks guys! He's a very handsome pup, we couldn't be more pleased. <3

Here's my amateur attempt to stack him lol... handlers make it look so easy but all his squirming around made it difficult! He's not going to be a show dog so this isn't very important but I'd appreciate some tips haha.

(I believe his neck shouldn't be stretched so far out in this one)

(And his back left leg is too far extended here?)
 Pattys Southern Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/26/2018 1:11:47 AM reply with quote send message to Pattys Southern Kennels Object to Post

First pic is my favorite. With the country hills behind him happy :) You should make that a banner happy :)
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
5/27/2018 1:25:35 AM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

Haha I can certainly try to, though getting a picture of the hills while ignoring the new construction below them is difficult. D:

I sent the (attempted) stacked pictures to his breeder who said that we could show him if we wanted, so perhaps Junior may become a show dog after all. We'd have to think of a registered name for him though, haha. And we also don't have any experience/connections in the show world so it might be rough getting started but we'll see!

Replies in this thread : 17

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.