Search

.com Forum · Swedish Vallhund

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Re-post: Breeding for Red Sables (Swedish Vallhunds)
 Komorebi
Basic User

System.__ComObject
11/6/2016 5:05:32 PM reply with quote send message to Komorebi Object to Post   

Rhondacline kindly posted this explanation for how to breed for Red Sables in our breed - so I thought I would post it in our breed forum so we have it for future reference happy :)

"You can go to Black or Blue or Grey actually.

Red, Black, Blue & Gray are all "AA"

Black is BB/Bb DD/Dd
Blue is BB/Bb dd
and red is bb DD/Dd/dd

What makes Grey is the 'C' locus - Black and Blue are CC or Cc - where grey is cc.

Red (bb) 'hides' the c locus - so bb CC, bb Cc and bb cc are all red.

BUT it's going to take two breedings to get your red. (UNLESS some of your current SOP dogs are hiding a 'b')

So, the only genes that we are concerned with are the 'AA' and the 'B'

Take your two best reds and breed them to a Black, Blue or Grey. Your puppies will be AA Bb

Depending on how much room you have - you will keep 1 or 2 boys and 1 or 2 girls - they will probably be black/blue.

Once those puppies are 30 days breed them together.
This litter (AA Bb x AA Bb) will produce

AA BB - Black/Blue/Grey
AA Bb - Black/Blue/Grey
AA bb - Red

Keep your best Reds and repeat the process.

The only color I would stay away from is the Yellow Sable. One 'ay' gene hides everything.
"
 Northern Lightz
Basic User

Basic User
2/13/2017 5:50:48 PM reply with quote send message to Northern Lightz Object to Post

Bumping this post.
 Ariege
Basic User

Basic User
4/29/2017 7:54:23 PM reply with quote send message to Ariege Object to Post

Northern Lightz
Basic User

Basic User
8/19/2017 6:46:49 AM reply with quote send message to Northern Lightz Object to Post

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.