Search

Showdog.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : Grain-Free Dog Food?
 Hearts Ablaze
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/8/2019 6:17:26 PM reply with quote send message to Hearts Ablaze Object to Post   

Okay so...lately, I've been hearing a lot of bad news associated with Grain Free dog food. That it causes things like Heart Disease and Cardiomyopathy in even young dogs. So, I got my twelve year old Golden Retriever off of it (who has a persistent cough, I don't know if his heart is failing the vet says he's fine but I'd rather be safe than sorry). Anyways, I also have two Border Collies, one who has sever allergies and has been doing very poorly since I put him regular Purina Pro Plan. Could this be an allergy to the grain? His coat was always very pretty when was on a grain-free diet...and I would really like to put both of them back on it. I want opinions, and not just veterinarian opinions. Because we already know that most vets advocate the traditional diets and brands that have been used for years But anyways, I would love to know what you all think of this.

Thanks in advance,
Cassie
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/9/2019 12:37:09 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I home cook but it can be a lot of work.

Extra lean ground beef
- Canned Tomato (added to beef cooking pot)
- Rice and oatmeal to the beef pot too.
Turkey/Chicken
Carrots
Parsnips
Green Beans, whatever
Canned yellow beans
Occasionally chicken hearts,liver
I also make bone broth from all the various bones that come into the house. They get a teaspoon of this jelly in each meal.

If you dog shows signs of a grain allergy and does better on no-grain I'd put it back on the no grain version. If you make your own, hold off on the rice and oats until you see how it works out, then add a bit.

I feed 2 parts beef/tomato/oatmeal mix, 1 part chicken/turkey and 2 parts veggies. I swap the veggies around.

I use kibble occasionally but not a grocery store brand (Acana/Origen - think that's how they're spelled).

I also occasionally substitute a half can of salmon/tuna (I have 2 cockers) or 1&1/2 hard boiled eggs for a meal (3 per day now). I'm testing this for one of them who may have a fish/dairy (ice cream/cheeze) intolerance. Yes, I give my dogs people food in moderation.

I have gone away from commercial feed for about 15 years now, ever since the contaminated Chinese gluten or whatever it was - I think it killed my cat - an early victim who was never checked. The only commercial edibles my dogs get are "Breathbusters" cookies. I tried making my own but quit when previous dog started turning his nose up at them - apparently I am a doggy baking failure. They were a lot of work for a few biscuits,

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with grains, in moderation, unless there is a specific problem. As for all things in life - all things in moderation. The more natural and unprocessed the better. (I don't do raw.)

Good luck

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 1/9/2019 12:42:24 PM
 ambertal
Basic User

Basic User
1/11/2019 10:32:18 AM reply with quote send message to ambertal Object to Post

Add pure pumpkin or a whole raw egg to the food.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/11/2019 3:15:10 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Thanks - yes I have heard about adding pumpkin but never seem to remember it when I'm shopping - lol.

I give eggs but not raw. Seems I've read that raw whites are indigestible but pretty much pure protein cooked.

Basic User

Basic User
1/12/2019 9:04:12 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Nope. Raw egg is much better for skin & coat. If the dog can't handle it raw -slightly scrambled, but never cooked.

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.