Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Question about choosing handlers
 Avalanche Saints
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
12/11/2018 1:03:43 PM reply with quote send message to Avalanche Saints Object to Post   

Hi, I'm just starting out and am attempting to show my first dog.
When you all are choosing handlers, do you find your dogs do better in shows when you choose the top ranked handlers overall, or the top handler on the judge's list for that particular show?

I noticed that some handlers on the judge's preference lists are ranked lower overall in the game so I was wondering if it would be better to just go with the top handlers. Thanks in advance for your advice!! happy :)
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/11/2018 2:35:28 PM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

It is best to choose the top ranked handlers on the judge's list for that particular judge. Every judge has different handler preferences with some even preferring no handlers.

For example,
www.showdog.com/shows/judge_info.aspx?judge=Abigail+Cave

You'd be OK with choosing: Bob Goulb, Kristen Gowin, Yvette Glover and Veronica Sheidt. This is knowledge from both Cave's list and overall handler rankings ( www.showdog.com/shows/Handlers/handler_rankings.aspx ).

Also notice Cave's preference:
Has a tendency to use dogs handled by certain handlers but isn't overt in it.
This template can work for all judges and you'll have handlers memorized in no time. However, do note their rankings may change but who the judges prefer overall will not.

-----
Last edited by Comet Poodles on 12/11/2018 2:35:41 PM
 Avalanche Saints
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/11/2018 4:50:35 PM reply with quote send message to Avalanche Saints Object to Post

posted by Comet Poodles
It is best to choose the top ranked handlers on the judge's list for that particular judge. Every judge has different handler preferences with some even preferring no handlers.

For example,
www.showdog.com/shows/judge_info.aspx?judge=Abigail+Cave

You'd be OK with choosing: Bob Goulb, Kristen Gowin, Yvette Glover and Veronica Sheidt. This is knowledge from both Cave's list and overall handler rankings ( www.showdog.com/shows/Handlers/handler_rankings.aspx ).

Also notice Cave's preference:
Has a tendency to use dogs handled by certain handlers but isn't overt in it.
This template can work for all judges and you'll have handlers memorized in no time. However, do note their rankings may change but who the judges prefer overall will not.

-----
Last edited by Comet Poodles on 12/11/2018 2:35:41 PM

Thank you so much! You post cleared everything up for me happy :)
 mineiis
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/14/2018 2:24:57 PM reply with quote send message to mineiis Object to Post

Another thing to remember when entering shows Always read the judges Bio first. Quite a few of them prefer dogs to be owner-handled.
 Avalanche Saints
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/15/2018 7:41:11 PM reply with quote send message to Avalanche Saints Object to Post

Thanks! I'll definitely pay attention to the bios!
 Pembroke Pixie Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/10/2019 11:16:47 AM reply with quote send message to Pembroke Pixie Kennel Object to Post

Thanks for the tips!

Replies in this thread : 5

The Kennel Club (UK) system, which is also used by the Australian National Kennel Council[1] and in other countries, is considered the most difficult to earn a title under.