Search

.com Forum · Finnish Forum

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Kas eesti keel on sarnane?
 Arkan
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/5/2006 7:20:47 PM reply with quote send message to Arkan Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

(Viru keel, for those who don't recognize the estonian name for their language)

Tere!

Mina olin vahetusopilane eestis ja ma oppisin eesti keelt seal. Ma lihtsalt tahtsin teada, kas see on sarnane soome keelega? Kas moned sonad on sarnased? Ma tean et ma ei kirjuta tapselt oigesti sest ma olen ameriklane, mitte eestlane. Aga kas teie saate aru?

I know it's not correct because I have an American keyboard and cannot make the special characters Estonian requires. But is it recognizable?
 Elina
Basic User

Basic User
5/6/2006 3:37:34 AM reply with quote send message to Elina Object to Post

I'd say that because I'm a Finn I can definitely understand a great part of it^^

Finnish and Estonian are similair to each other, they belong in the same 'language family'
 Arkan
Basic User

Basic User
5/7/2006 12:30:43 PM reply with quote send message to Arkan Object to Post

I knew they were both in the Finno-Ugric language family, but I've always been curious to what extent speakers of each can understand one another. I'm not a very good judge of an Estonian-speaker being able to understand Finnish, as I'm not a native and often have trouble understanding Estonian itself! I have this fascination for Finnish, though and I would love to learn the language if I could. Thanks for your input!

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing