Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 12

Author Topic : What to do?
 XiZang
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
11/26/2018 12:09:29 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I know this has been brought up before but I can't find the thread. There is a show with a lot of entries under a non-owner-handler judge, but none of the dogs have handlers. They are all owned by the same kennel. I assume it's because some/all of the dogs are in the OH series this month. But why should that prevent me from putting a handler on my dog and getting a badly needed major? It seems rude but really, why? If people want to win in the OH series, then pick judges that don't require a handler. Otherwise, you take your chances that someone will put a handler in. I have to play for my dogs to win. I just don't want anyone accusing me of 'stealing a major'.

-----
Last edited by XiZang on 11/26/2018 12:10:03 PM
 Nefarious Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/26/2018 12:27:03 PM reply with quote send message to Nefarious Kennels Object to Post

I completely agree with you and I put handlers on my dogs, but I also know kennels who really disagree to the point where I was essentially kicked out of a breed because they refused to sell to me, allow me to use studs, and generally just harassed me. I think it's part of the game and in order to win you have to play to the best of your abilities; if you don't want to use handlers than enter under owner-handled judges.

Basic User

Basic User
11/26/2018 12:55:20 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

I enter a lot of dogs in the same breed in the same show without handlers regardless of the judge. Often at least part of the reason is that there are few players in the breed and I try to put some of whatever breed in as many shows as I can. Some of these are not great dogs but those I am keeping for a particular trait or colour - they are there to make sure someone gets points. I tend to favour owner-judges and avoid the very political. I also favour the $5 shows and usually pass on the $20 ones.

I enter as far ahead as I can - mostly because I am always going way over limit and have too many kennels (and stables) to really manage properly (lol). I don't put handlers because I often don't have time when I do the entries. SOMETIMES I go back and put on handlers later so BEWARE; I too feel a bit guilty if I see others have entered since and appear to have honored my lead and not used handlers, but then I often find my no handler dogs are going against handled ones, so I figure all's fair in love and war, so the saying goes. I rarely check to see if others have or haven't used handlers until I look at the results.

I think the little side competitions like the one mentioned are great and I agree that generally you should pick the owner-judge shows but sometimes it is not possible.

Ultimately, if you choose to not use a handler where one would normally do so, regardless of the reason, accept graciously that others may add a handler and beat you. And, if you choose to use a handler where others have not, you don't need to feel guilty. All's fair, etc.!

gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/26/2018 12:56:54 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Dang! I knew I was going to time-out on that one - lol.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/26/2018 3:25:20 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Thanks, everyone. That helps.
 Gracefield
Basic User

Basic User
11/27/2018 10:59:34 AM reply with quote send message to Gracefield Object to Post

I never tend to put handlers on my dogs because I enter a large number or dogs, far ahead. I don't have time to go through and pick handlers or enter only OH shows. Most of the breeds I compete in do the same. If there is one I really want to finish, I may back and put a handler on. I do it only in my basic kennel consistently because I seem to not be able to finish my dogs otherwise. I personally don't have a problem if someone has the time to put handlers on their dogs. The quality of my dogs, usually speaks for themselves and I am getting points in my selected breed without. If they complain, let them. Breed better dogs, or put handlers on. You're not stealing majors, your playing the game.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/27/2018 10:36:30 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Now that we have hundreds of judges all the time, I mostly enter under OH judges, but if I am entering under a handler judge, I use handlers. Because of this, I have stopped seriously showing in most of my kennels because it would be a full time job.

However, when I see a show loaded with unhandled dogs and mine needs a major, I will put a handler on.

Oh how I wish this judge fiasco would get fixed so it would be fun to show again. I really miss it. I have been just tossing dogs into any OH show I can find. It's very hit or miss.

Okay,that's my rant...

BTW my girl did pick up a major at the show I mentioned above.
 Diasonia
Basic User

Basic User
11/28/2018 12:28:03 PM reply with quote send message to Diasonia Object to Post

Same as Gracefield said above.

I have too many dogs to enter on family accounts, so I basically enter them all for days in advance and don't put handlers unless I have time to go through judges/handlers etc.

Honestly, I don't care if someone swoops in and "steals" points, good for them. I probably won't ever do it the same way, but this is the game and that's how it is played, so I don't think about it twice.

Do whatever you need to do to play the game and make you happy, I say.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/28/2018 9:35:31 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Well, I personally don't really have an issue with the current judge situation but maybe its because I've been around so long that most of the judges are familiar to me.
 Halcyon Design
Basic User

Basic User
11/29/2018 2:00:53 AM reply with quote send message to Halcyon Design Object to Post

When I’m entering I never look at the dogs entered in the show to see if they have handlers on or not. I only enter a few days ahead - so I look at the list of shows to see which shows has some dogs entered already mostly, no point in being the only dog entered, I click on the judges name, if they are owner handled then I don’t assign a handler and move on to the next show, if they are then I get the best handler that I can. I have no idea whether the dogs already entered have handlers or not. Now a couple of the breeds I’m in have only me & one or two others actively breeding - if those breeders contacted me and asked me to stop using handlers then I would be happy to do so in the absolute knowledge that someone could come along and stick a handler on a dog and beat us all. That’s the game, it’s how it is written and has always been & if we choose to risk playing it differently then that’s our look out really.
 Vienna Acres
Basic User

Basic User
11/29/2018 5:56:05 PM reply with quote send message to Vienna Acres Object to Post

I dont mind if someone puts a handler on their dog. The breed I'm in only has a few of us showing and breeding and usually none of us use handlers. But if they do, I dont get bitter about it at all happy :)

Since we are on the same thread, Gaylan I hope you're not leaving Pharoah Hounds...I miss seeing your dogs in the ring!!

Julie
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/30/2018 3:00:34 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Vienna,

No, I'll be back. I just have a tremendous glut of dogs over several kennels and breeds. In short - overstocked, again. Lol.
 Vienna Acres
Basic User

Basic User
11/30/2018 7:17:43 PM reply with quote send message to Vienna Acres Object to Post

Gaylan, Haha I get it! Well it will be great to have ya back!
Julie

Replies in this thread : 12

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.