Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : References for names
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
9/27/2018 12:08:48 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post   

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Following the thread started by Cwtch about Welsh names (and specialties), I thought it might be nice to have a thread especially for this. I have Arabian Horses on ShowHorse and also Salukis and Pharoah Hounds here. I use a number of sources.

For the Pharoahs I use this listing of known ancient Egyptions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ancient_Egyptians

For other more or less generic Arabic names:
https://www.babynameguide.com/categoryarabic.asp?strCat=Arabic
(They have lists for other ethnic/regional names too.)

I also have found a wealth of Arabic in the "Amelia Peabody" series by Elizabeth Peters. She has sadly passed away, 2013 I believe, so there will be no more but she was an archeologist/Egyptologist.

I also bought the two editions of Arabian horse (and Saluki) names by Bachir Bserani which I use for my Arabs and Salukis, especially when I get particularly blessed by the ShowHorse/ShowDog gods.

I frequently add the year as part of the name so that every 12 months I can reuse those really cool ones (Kassarat Al Qualb (18), Heart Breaker [Bserani], for example) and other simple names "John Of Yorks(17)", "John Of Yorks(18)". (In 12 real months most have crossed the ShowWhatever Eainbow Bridge.)

And while I am doing this, I silently apologize to those folks who actually know the language and cultures, for any errors or insults that I may commit in my ignorance.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 9/27/2018 12:20:37 PM
 Bailey Barns
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/27/2018 2:05:48 PM reply with quote send message to Bailey Barns Object to Post

When I first started playing, I used cocktail names. Now it's mostly book and song titles for the show dogs and a mishmash of parent names for project lines.
 Aussiewolfsister
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/28/2018 5:30:38 PM reply with quote send message to Aussiewolfsister Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

One of my favourite sources for names is the website:

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/

I will search a word e.g. midnight using the option to search book titles -- and get a lot of ideas.

Also a fun site to explore for names:

www.lowchensaustralia.com/names/

I have a lot of sites bookmarked and will gradually put up more

-----
Last edited by Aussiewolfsister on 9/28/2018 5:40:53 PM
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
9/28/2018 8:01:48 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

I google pedigrees a lot

For example if I want a name with "Dark"
I'll google GCH Pedigree Dark

then I just kind of browse the results to see if I find something I like or if I get some inspiration

For my Saluki I usually google Straight Egyptian Stallion pedigree and then look at a few pedigrees to get names

I've also googled Top Songs of XXXX any year will work

oh and I like PowerThesaurus - always great to find alternatives to the usual words and it gives lots of results.
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
9/28/2018 8:04:52 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

another thing I do a lot for names is pick a location and then google it

Cities (or Counties) in Nevada (Fill in your state of choice) - Certain states also have cities/counties that might give you different "themes" - native american/western/southern....

for the terriers I often look for villages in england
Irish Terriers - villages in Ireland
Scottish Deerhound - village in Scotland
Kuvasz - villages in Hungary

Loch Tay
Basic User

Basic User
10/2/2018 4:46:02 PM reply with quote send message to Loch Tay Object to Post

I use a huge hardback Thesaurus,when I'm stuck, there are online ones too, but I prefer a book.

Mostly I name dogs including words or meanings from both parents' names. I can keep track of bloodlines/ relationships easily.
If I get an astounding dog, I often name it something completely random and start a new naming thread if it's a good producer.
 AngelAviary
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/3/2018 4:18:28 PM reply with quote send message to AngelAviary Object to Post

I have a couple books that I have been using across the different dog games I play. I also do a lot of song names/lyrics like a lot of players. I tend to do simple names now, like with herding dogs, they usually don't have long fancy names.
My books Ive been using: The All-Breed Dictionary of Unusal Names. by Gloria Jarrett (I love this book! Its huge and Im still in the A's having a great time naming dogs!)
and I use: The Best Pet Name Book Ever by Wayne Eldridge, DVM (a great book split up nicely into different categories ie" Religious, Royalty/Titles, Foreign words/names etc.
 Foxfire Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2018 9:23:57 AM reply with quote send message to Foxfire Kennel Object to Post

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has themed names for my dogs! I have never been good at coming up with creative names so I always picked a theme. Currently in this kennel all my dogs have a movie title name. In the past in my other kennels I've used TV names, flowers, stars/planets, and my all time favorite but difficult theme was Lord of The Rings (huge LoTR geek lol)
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/13/2018 1:40:10 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Naming is sometimes one of the most entertaining, and challenging parts of the game - lol.

Glad to see everyone sharing their sources. I use a lot of them randomly. Sometimes while thinking, an old song or tv show or movie pops into memory and I go off at a tangent - spend hours following this or that trail on the internet. W-A-Y too many hours some days. Lol!

Good job I don't have a job (retired).

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.