Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 12

Author Topic : To show, or not to show?
 Hudsby
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/24/2018 11:06:26 AM reply with quote send message to Hudsby Object to Post   

Hudson, our English Springer Spaniel puppy, turns 21 weeks tomorrow. He joined our family 10 weeks ago and we have not sat down since laugh :D Joking aside, it has been full on but he has brought a lot of joy to our lives.

Although he came from a reputable breeder here in Sweden it was never our intention to show him. However, He is receiving a lot of praise from other dog owners - not just his looks but temperament also. I keep hearing, "He is so easy to meet". He really has a very nice way about him and is a quick study when introduced to new things.

The bottom line: I think he would do really well but I don't really know where to start. Although I live in Sweden I am originally from Scotland so there is a bit of a language barrier. Not a major problem but I get a little bit more overwhelmed "putting myself out there" in Sweden than I would back home in Scotland.

I guess the advice I am looking for here is... how do you come up with a show plan? What should my next step be? He has mastered all the basic puppy moves. Are things going to take a massive turn when he starts lifting his leg? I can already see he is starting to notice more things out in the world. Thankfully his recall, when we are out for our forest walks, is great. I hope it continues. I just don't want to leave making this decision too long because I feel like I will miss out on valuable training time. What would you all do?

I appreciate any advice you have to offer.

Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/24/2018 11:27:39 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

Are you thinking of showing him in conformation or in performance events like obedience?

If conformation, I would discuss with the breeder and, since you're in another country from the puppy's breeder and also talk with a local English Springer Spaniel club in your area to see if they can provide any insight into the liklihood of your puppy finishing a championship based on your country's/breed club's breed standards.

If you're looking more to show in performance events, I would seek out a local club for the type of event you'd like to do with your pup (i.e. obedience, agility, field trials). They would be a great resource to help you get started! happy :)
 That ll Do
Basic User

Basic User
9/24/2018 11:31:11 AM reply with quote send message to That ll Do Object to Post

Hi
Your little one sounds like a delight! My first suggestion would be to contact his breeder. Take him back there if possible to have them evaluate him "show" wise and go from there. If they say he is show quality then they may mentor you on what and where to go next. Getting him to classes right now would also be a great start. I have a training facility (where I train) near me that has conformation classes and the teacher is great with owners wanting to sit down and have their pups evaluated. I actually had her do my litter when they were 7 weeks old. That way I knew who my show keepers were and who was a "pet" quality pup. Training the show pups started right away. Entering "puppy" classes at the local shows helped them and me learn the ropes. Plus I got to meet tons of great people showing their dogs and they have become great friends!
Good luck and please do let us know what you decide and how he does.
 Hudsby
Basic User

Basic User
9/24/2018 12:01:25 PM reply with quote send message to Hudsby Object to Post

Thanks for replying. I will approach the breeder this week. We also have a subscription to the local springer club. I think I see a number of different starter workshops. I will have my partner confirm that I have translated it correctly when he gets home.

Just to clarify - We live in Sweden now. Hudson is from a kennel in Sweden and registered with "Svenska Kennelklubben". I know his paperwork is all up to date because it takes me twice as long to do it in a second language.

I am open to doing what I need to do to take him in the direction that best suits his skill set. I think I just needed to know that I wasn't trying to push him into something too quickly.

Thanks again! I will happily keep you posted (unless he/or I turn out to be a duffer and we will just slope off quietly) laugh :D
 That ll Do
Basic User

Basic User
9/24/2018 4:21:21 PM reply with quote send message to That ll Do Object to Post

You better not just "slope off"! He can do well in a sport even if not a conformation dog. You better keep us posted and post pictures as he grows up and becomes the best he can be. Mt 'pet' quality puppy is just as beautiful and smart and as sweet as his 'show' brothers and sisters! He is going to be a top Therapy dog spreading Poodle love were ever he goes. That is just as important as any 2 cent piece of ribbon you win in the ring any day!
 Hudsby
Basic User

Basic User
1/26/2019 8:28:25 AM reply with quote send message to Hudsby Object to Post

Hudson Update!

We have be working hard getting Hudson ready to show. He had his first "Complete Renovation" at the groomers:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtEhmoqHxfa/

His first unofficial puppy & senior show will be on the 17th February.
 baymill
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2019 1:36:10 AM reply with quote send message to baymill Object to Post

He is lovely!
Very well balanced with nice angles fore and aft.
P.S. I live in Scotland and have shown bichons for 20yrs. It is a great hobby. Best of luck with your baby! He should do well. X
 Hudsby
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2019 7:25:45 AM reply with quote send message to Hudsby Object to Post

Thanks!

I will post an update after his show. A few of his litter mates are going so awards could go to any of them. It has been super beneficial getting out and meeting people with a common interest. I can understand why you have been doing it for 20 years happy :)
 baymill
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2019 10:51:26 AM reply with quote send message to baymill Object to Post

I don't know if it is the same in Sweden, but have a thick skin and ignore nasty comments happy :) Most dog folk are lovely people who will stay lifelong friends, but there is always the jealousy streak and some people will be equally as unkind. Thankfully that is the minority!
 Hudsby
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2019 1:36:54 PM reply with quote send message to Hudsby Object to Post

I actually picked up on that from a newspaper. I am Scottish so I like to think I was raised with a thick skin ??
 baymill
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2019 1:47:42 PM reply with quote send message to baymill Object to Post

Yup - us Scots are made of strong stuff lol
 GraceInGlory
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/29/2019 10:17:59 AM reply with quote send message to GraceInGlory Object to Post

He looks very nice! Good luck at his first show and I hope you give us an update happy :)
 Hudsby
Basic User

Basic User
1/29/2019 10:58:29 AM reply with quote send message to Hudsby Object to Post

I totally will. Thank you.

Replies in this thread : 12

Did you know?
In multi-breed and all-breed shows, the winners of all breeds within the kennel club's breed Groups then compete for Group placements.