Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : Breed a champion in every breed project
 Icekist
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/20/2018 9:56:15 PM reply with quote send message to Icekist Object to Post   

Has or is anyone doing one of these projects lately? I did one and completed it years ago, it took years but was fun and rewarding. I’d like to do another one but am wondering if it would even be possible anymore, looking at the for sale boards there are so many breeds that don’t have dogs for sale.
No real point to this just thinking out loud and wondering if anyone has any opinions or thoughts to add.

This was the kennel I did my original project in, www.showdog.com/general/ChampsBred.aspx?user=Palmetto+Kennels
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/21/2018 1:38:02 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

A lot of breeds just lack breeders. I would be prepared to breed some chs from source dogs and stack shows in order to get points.

Will
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
9/21/2018 8:55:58 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

I think its still doable - I just think you have to use whats available at the time.

Players come and go.
Example: last month there were no current SOP
Min Pins
I got some sourcies and were breeding to some studs in an "abandoned" kennel

now that player has returned... so now we have current SOP dogs again

I think that happens a lot

So if you just skip over the breeds with no current SOP dogs - maybe someone will come back or maybe someone will start working with them...

As for Puppies for Sale - I know I'm bad about just FHing stuff - I figure no ones buying and I usually need the room
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
9/22/2018 6:16:24 PM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

It's always worth messaging a breeder to see if they will sell you a good one for your project. Not everyone puts pups/ dogs up for sale,if a kennel isnt short of money it's often easier to FH everything you don't want to keep.
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
9/22/2018 7:39:56 PM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

I’ve always admired people who could do the champ in every breed project but I never have enough motivation to do it myself. razz :p

I’d say it’s probably still doable, even if dogs aren’t up for sale I’m sure breeders would be happy to at least loan you a brood for breeding. I think the major obstacle would come from breeds that don’t have many entires and are hard to get majors in, if anything. happy :)
 Lunatic
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/22/2018 8:56:30 PM reply with quote send message to Lunatic Object to Post

I'm 2 breeds away from completing mine. It has taken me 6 years LOL. But I haven't exactly rushed. I've been lazy lately with the last two as they both require stacking shows with low gen dogs.
 Gracefield
Basic User

Basic User
9/24/2018 10:35:25 AM reply with quote send message to Gracefield Object to Post

This sounds fun, but with the low entries in some breeds, I see myself losing motivation and abandoning my attempt, especially since it takes years to finish. But if you ever need help with any breeds I am in, shoot me a message!
 GuBrath Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/24/2018 10:42:14 AM reply with quote send message to GuBrath Kennel Object to Post

I thought about this when I first started and have decided to give it a try. Granted, I am new and only 3 breeds in but I figured why not. I am going for GCh and UD though, so it will take me much longer than just getting a Ch. I also was looking at the sales boards and just decided to start with the breeds that have active breeders or those who are selling and work on those first and then get source dogs for the rest. happy :) Good luck to all those working on it!
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
9/24/2018 11:04:51 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

... another thought for folks interested in this challenge

you might regularly post on the Buy/Sell board that you're working on the challenge and that you're actively looking for dogs to show and finish

I know often I have puppies that I would like finished, but that I don't intend to keep for breeding
or people trying to earn sire/dam merits
you'd be helping out in these situations and could even get paid for the service if you wanted.

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.