.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 47
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
6/2/2018 8:14:32 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

Just to add: If the 100% dogs are set back to a lower SOP, then the cost of maybe the first 5 starter dogs per user in that breed should be $100-$200 maximum so that it's affordable to buy and start new source lines.
Some are over $2000 each which is I feel is too much for less successful players.

Its important to keep a level playing field for everyone.

Basic User

Basic User
6/2/2018 12:44:11 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

The cost of Source dogs is dependent on the number of dogs for sale in that breed so you just need to agree to hold back your sales for a few days and the price will come down. I'm not sure how it affects 'special order' colour dogs but I assume they will come down also. And really if you are wanting Source to bring down the SOP all you need, breedwise is two or 3 males at most - share.

If a breed-based reset occurs, you probably won't need Source dogs for the SOP issue. It will depend on how it is done. It could be done in the more or less usual manor and just dial back all the traits in the target breeds. Source will come into play only if something like the "100-linked" genetic flaw/sterility process is used. I like this only because it would automatically hit every breed as it reaches that "100" threshold and we will never need this discussion again.

As for Source quality, I think that it's time to raise that a bit regardless, but especially if we go for a breed-based or no reset. If we get an all breed dial back, the Source quality won't be as big an issue, depending on how far back we dial.
 jaime1985
Basic User

Basic User
6/2/2018 1:43:00 PM reply with quote send message to jaime1985 Object to Post

I think the game working correctly and consistently would be priority over a reset
 Ranchstars
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/2/2018 2:01:08 PM reply with quote send message to Ranchstars Object to Post

Well said. That's exactly what I was thinking. Get the game working properly before tinkering with non-essentials which could make things even worse.
 OmegaDanya
Basic User

Basic User
6/2/2018 10:34:40 PM reply with quote send message to OmegaDanya Object to Post

A full reset would just the same old thing, the same popular breeds hitting 100 over and over. I'd rather see soft roll backs for individual breeds for the time being. -.- I mean, I'll deal either way, but a full breed roll-back is going to be frustrating.
 Aussiewolfsister
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/2/2018 10:56:17 PM reply with quote send message to Aussiewolfsister Object to Post

I very much like Star Shiine's idea of just taking the 100 SOP breeds back 30%. It evens the playing field a little bit.
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
6/3/2018 9:21:56 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Regards price of starter dogs...The very expensive breeds..$2000+...where often 30+ dogs are for sale. I can't imagine a whole breed holding back on sales for me, just so I could buy some cheaper starters. I think it would be very cheeky even to ask! In some of my breeds users don't ever answer messages, so I can't see that they would do me any favours!
If i was in a breed set back to 70%, that would be the perfect time to introduce new starter blood and also reduce COI. happy :)

-----
Last edited by Star Shiine on 6/3/2018 9:28:50 AM
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
6/3/2018 9:27:31 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

Jeff, please could you give us a clue as to what the workable options might be?
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
6/3/2018 10:08:27 AM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

I’ve posted here already but I just wanted to say I still support an all breeds reset just from the maintenance standpoint. I just don’t think that Jeff is going to reliably come and reset breeds that reach 100; I don’t mean to hate but that’s going to be consistent maintenance over the years which we don’t currently have a lot of and should probably be given to more important aspects of the game. happy :) On the other hand if all breeds are reset, yes some breeds will build back up and reach 100 first but that will be a matter of a few years where we wouldn’t need ongoing resets.

Of course I don’t know exactly how the resets work and maybe it’s just a press of a button so that breed resets would be super easy and fast, but that’s just my perspective on things lol.
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
6/3/2018 10:09:22 AM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

posted by Star Shiine
This would also be useful so that we know which direction to take our discussion! happy :)
 sammy567
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/5/2018 11:20:38 AM reply with quote send message to sammy567 Object to Post

i completely agree with hawkeye kennel. in my opinion, resetting constantly would highly effect gameplay. rather than having to reset everytime one breed hits 100 SOP,we should wait until you get a large enough group of breeds at 100. i think that would work out much better.
 Linton Farms
Basic User

Basic User
6/5/2018 6:22:20 PM reply with quote send message to Linton Farms Object to Post

posted by Berry Brits
posted by Star Shiine
This would also be useful so that we know which direction to take our discussion! happy :)

To be honest, as this question was raised by us rather than Jeff, he doesn't really have to do anything, or provide us with any options. This is a completely hypothetical discussion at the moment.

I would actually rather he spent some time fixing the recurring problems that the game seems to have, rather than trying to make changes. I've returned after a number of years away and I'm disappointed both at the amount of problems I've seen in the 6 weeks I've been back, and at the lack of response from admin generally.
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
6/5/2018 9:56:29 PM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

posted by Linton Farms
To be honest, as this question was raised by us rather than Jeff, he doesn't really have to do anything, or provide us with any options. This is a completely hypothetical discussion at the moment.

I would actually rather he spent some time fixing the recurring problems that the game seems to have, rather than trying to make changes. I've returned after a number of years away and I'm disappointed both at the amount of problems I've seen in the 6 weeks I've been back, and at the lack of response from admin generally.
I see your point here but I figure that there's no point in discussing hypotheticals that may not work with the game's code - for instance if it's not possible to reset a single breed or something else along those lines haha.

I do agree, however, that Jeff's time is much better spent fixing the game's current issues than tackling this because the normal running and functioning of the game does take priority in my opinion. happy :)
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
6/6/2018 7:22:44 AM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

Considering that Jeff is not putting any new development into this game, I don't think you'll see fixes to existing minor issues let alone a reset. I am not sure there is a large enough user base to justify the time.....

It's fun to consider what could be done though! This would be a fun opportunity for a developer to take on if Jeff would ever sell or take on a partner.

K
 Mijas
Basic User

Basic User
6/6/2018 12:19:24 PM reply with quote send message to Mijas Object to Post

As a developer (although not a web developer) most of what we've discussed is possible. As always with IT, it's more a question of how big it is and how long it will take.

I don't know how big the paying user base is, but it does seem a shame that after running for such a long time there is no more development going into it - I've even wondered if the issues are being caused by old code? Maybe it's time for a rewrite... eek! happy :)

It could be that if the game isn't making enough money after paying for hosting costs etc, there's not enough to pay anyone to do the fixes.
 Hawkeye Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
6/6/2018 12:21:23 PM reply with quote send message to Hawkeye Kennel Object to Post

posted by Mijas
As a developer (although not a web developer) most of what we've discussed is possible. As always with IT, it's more a question of how big it is and how long it will take.

I don't know how big the paying user base is, but it does seem a shame that after running for such a long time there is no more development going into it - I've even wondered if the issues are being caused by old code? Maybe it's time for a rewrite... eek! happy :)

It could be that if the game isn't making enough money after paying for hosting costs etc, there's not enough to pay anyone to do the fixes.

When Showcats and TrophyHorse closed Jeff did mention that someone had offered to buy but it wouldn't be fair and that the games no longer made money. ShowDog is a little more popular than SC and TH but ShowCattle is the one that probably makes the most money as it is the most popular.
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/6/2018 12:40:54 PM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

I'm curious as to why ShowCattle is the most popular.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/6/2018 8:49:54 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Actually, ShowCattle is not the most popular based on last 30 day logins. ShowDog is, by nearly twice the number of players.

40 Rabbit
783 Cattle
63 Horse
1704 Dog

If you assume most subs are Family you can approximate the income from each game although the Rabbit one is different in that it has a "pay as you go" setup. Some accounts are going to be Basic, some are going to be singles, and some Families are going to be "bigger than 5" so that all skews the results somewhat.

I think the discussion of this issue took off when Admin added a comment, which suggested he was open to the possibility of doing something about it.

ShowCattle and ShowDog were the first two released.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 6/6/2018 8:55:34 PM
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/6/2018 9:25:04 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the most monetarily valuable part of the game was the domain name.

I've stopped focusing on single breeds until I see how the rest of this year plays out.

If things improve, I will start to branch back but until then... I am going to show a bunch and dabble in breeds.

WIll

Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
6/7/2018 5:55:02 AM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

posted by BarStar
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the most monetarily valuable part of the game was the domain name.

WIll

Agree!

Replies in this thread : 47
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.