.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 25
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : A Sincere Question
 Wuppet Kennel
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/17/2018 3:47:51 PM reply with quote send message to Wuppet Kennel Object to Post   

I know some of you are going to think this is a criticism, but I am really curious and not trying to fight with anyone.

Why is it that in certain breeds, there are not *any* dogs up for stud? How do these breeders expect others who buy the occasional dogs that are for sale to breed those dogs when all the dogs for sale are related and cannot be bred? How do these breeders expect theirr breeds to grow?

Just curious,
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/17/2018 4:16:27 PM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

Have you tried contacting the kennels whose studs you wish to use? I sometimes forget to list my boys.

And I guess the short answer to your question is that many kennels operate as closed kennels. They are not interested in playing with others. It's a choice as is listing males for high stud fees.
 Clay Creek Falls
Basic User

Basic User
5/17/2018 6:24:31 PM reply with quote send message to Clay Creek Falls Object to Post

If I were you, I would send the kennel a message asking if they wouldn't mind listing 'X Dog' as a stud for you to use happy :)

9 times out of 10 I simply forget to list dogs up for stud lol

So no harm in asking

Just Pumi
Basic User

Basic User
5/17/2018 6:48:21 PM reply with quote send message to Just Pumi Object to Post

Now I am not trying to be mean or anything, but maybe the reason that you cannot find studs (If you are talking about your Chesapeake Bay Retrievers), is that there is one kennel that has probably worked very hard on their lines to get to where they are, and might not want their dogs bred to admin/source dogs...all the other Chesapeake Bay Retriever kennels are mostly source bred dogs.

Just a thought....
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
5/17/2018 6:55:07 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

It could be there simply isn't many players in that breed so there will be less studs.

Some may just forget to put dogs up. Some may want to have a few litters of their own first before putting them up at stud. or some just do not wish others or certain players to use their lines for whatever reason so they either dont put the dogs up or do it for crazy high amounts.
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/18/2018 12:54:09 AM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

some people are selfish and care only about playing the game in whatever weird little way they play the game. Not actually perpetuating the breed.
 Quebedeaux K9
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2018 1:27:45 AM reply with quote send message to Quebedeaux K9 Object to Post

posted by Clay Creek Falls
If I were you, I would send the kennel a message asking if they wouldn't mind listing 'X Dog' as a stud for you to use happy :)

9 times out of 10 I simply forget to list dogs up for stud lol

So no harm in asking

Yes, I forget, too, but it just seems weird that in some breeds there are a bunch of kennels with no studs up. That is a good idea though, I will try it.
 Quebedeaux K9
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2018 1:29:43 AM reply with quote send message to Quebedeaux K9 Object to Post

posted by Comet Poodles
Have you tried contacting the kennels whose studs you wish to use? I sometimes forget to list my boys.

And I guess the short answer to your question is that many kennels operate as closed kennels. They are not interested in playing with others. It's a choice as is listing males for high stud fees.

No, but as I said, I will try that. I never even thought of that...I have social anxiety and sometime freak out about the silliest things.

I don't get the closed kennel thing...I never have and never will. Maybe someone who plays that way will explain it?
 Quebedeaux K9
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2018 1:37:43 AM reply with quote send message to Quebedeaux K9 Object to Post

posted by Just Pumi
Now I am not trying to be mean or anything, but maybe the reason that you cannot find studs (If you are talking about your Chesapeake Bay Retrievers), is that there is one kennel that has probably worked very hard on their lines to get to where they are, and might not want their dogs bred to admin/source dogs...all the other Chesapeake Bay Retriever kennels are mostly source bred dogs.

Just a thought....

No, I can find studs in Chessies. There are seveal kennels breeding source lines. I was talking about some other breeds. And no, you were not mean. That I can understand. I have a couple of kennels where I've worked really hard to get my dogs to where they are and if people want to buy them, or use them, I question them first. Are they staying in the breed? Just breeding one litter? Just want to finish one dog of every breed? What are their goals, etc.

I did not mention the breeds I am referring to, because I did not want this post to turn into a fight, or flame war...It was simply a question regarding something I don't understand.

And you bring up another point. When a person has worked hard, such as I have in some of my kennels, and I get an email from someone wanting to start in the breed, I might not be willing to sell them show stock, but I will sell them brood bitches or studs who can no longer show and are of no use to me. I will not however, fail to respond and then block a person for asking, as some do. I haven't had this done to me, but I know a few who have. That's the beauty of this game though, we can all play the way we want.
 Quebedeaux K9
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2018 1:39:39 AM reply with quote send message to Quebedeaux K9 Object to Post

posted by PPvallhunds
It could be there simply isn't many players in that breed so there will be less studs.

Some may just forget to put dogs up. Some may want to have a few litters of their own first before putting them up at stud. or some just do not wish others or certain players to use their lines for whatever reason so they either dont put the dogs up or do it for crazy high amounts.

Yes, in one of my breeds, studs are up for crazy amounts and you never get approval. This isn't just happening to me, but to other players in that breed. Good points though. happy :)
 Quebedeaux K9
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2018 1:41:53 AM reply with quote send message to Quebedeaux K9 Object to Post

I did not realize that I originally posted this in Wuppet. I am also Wuppet. Sorry for the confusion.
 Bennett Working Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2018 3:53:36 AM reply with quote send message to Bennett Working Dogs Object to Post

It is sad that some people want to play by themselves and do anything to win. I get wanting your breed to only go to people who will keep up you work, but I think there are extremes. ust try being nice, and asking first. If you get blocked, or don't get an answer, than, either keep playing and try to build up your own breed, or ask ask for other breed recommendations.
 Foxfire Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2018 8:19:35 AM reply with quote send message to Foxfire Kennel Object to Post

I'm so glad someone posted about this. When I first started playing showdog after a long hiatus I tried to pick breeds that were in need, I've contacted many players and some were nice enough to email me back and politely decline due to them being a 'closed kennel' others just decided to ignore me all together.
I became committed to breeding these breeds so I bought all source dogs and since then have started my own line and always try to put my dogs up for stud (unless I forget) so others can enjoy the breeds I'm in.

I like to show my dogs and finish them when I can, but in one of the breeds I am in there is a player who never enters multiple shows and literally waits until the last second to enter their dogs in shows. Long story short, my dogs can never finish because of this and it becomes so frustrating!

I understand that players get really into the game as do I but at the end of the day its still just a game. It doesn't make sense why players aren't willing to help other players out. End of rant
 Diasonia
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2018 9:03:29 AM reply with quote send message to Diasonia Object to Post

Foxfire Kennel
You said everything I wanted to say in very nice words! Thank you!

I don't really understand the whole "closed kennel" thing or what bad it would do to put up a dog for a stud and continue breeding your own lines and give a chance to someone else to start with theirs.
 Foxfire Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2018 12:48:12 PM reply with quote send message to Foxfire Kennel Object to Post

posted by Diasonia
Foxfire Kennel

I don't really understand the whole "closed kennel" thing or what bad it would do to put up a dog for a stud and continue breeding your own lines and give a chance to someone else to start with theirs.

I fully understand not wanting to sell to a basic kennel that just signed up the same day but for me its different for a standard/family account. Also, in one of the breeds I am in there is a player with great dogs and shows them but that kennel does not jump into shows where they are going up against source dogs, they enter their own shows and such. And if they want to do that I'm totally fine with it, but when you are tying to get your own line going since there are no other dogs available and a kennel keeps stealing points is a totally different story.
 Dewey Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2018 3:42:22 PM reply with quote send message to Dewey Kennel Object to Post

posted by Foxfire Kennel
I'm so glad someone posted about this. When I first started playing showdog after a long hiatus I tried to pick breeds that were in need, I've contacted many players and some were nice enough to email me back and politely decline due to them being a 'closed kennel' others just decided to ignore me all together.
I became committed to breeding these breeds so I bought all source dogs and since then have started my own line and always try to put my dogs up for stud (unless I forget) so others can enjoy the breeds I'm in.

I like to show my dogs and finish them when I can, but in one of the breeds I am in there is a player who never enters multiple shows and literally waits until the last second to enter their dogs in shows. Long story short, my dogs can never finish because of this and it becomes so frustrating!

I understand that players get really into the game as do I but at the end of the day its still just a game. It doesn't make sense why players aren't willing to help other players out. End of rant

This happens in one of the herding breeds.
 Dewey Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2018 3:45:23 PM reply with quote send message to Dewey Kennel Object to Post

posted by Foxfire Kennel
posted by Diasonia
Foxfire Kennel

I fully understand not wanting to sell to a basic kennel that just signed up the same day but for me its different for a standard/family account. Also, in one of the breeds I am in there is a player with great dogs and shows them but that kennel does not jump into shows where they are going up against source dogs, they enter their own shows and such. And if they want to do that I'm totally fine with it, but when you are tying to get your own line going since there are no other dogs available and a kennel keeps stealing points is a totally different story.

This happens in Malinois. I asked when I started again, if the top breeders had any dogs to sell. I got no responses so I did what everyone else was doing, which was go with sourcies. Then, I find that kennel stealing points. Now, that's their right, it's fair, but so unethical. I guess some people will stop at nothing to be the best instead of coming by being the best honestly.
 Zinga
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2018 9:10:30 PM reply with quote send message to Zinga Object to Post

It's how you want to play the game.

I did try to go into a breed that appeared to be with only 1 player to help out. Sent an email and received a response 5 months later. I'd moved on by then.

In my various kennels I try to have studs up and dogs for sale. I'm in some low number breeds, so everyone I can potentially gain is a benefit to me.

If I have dogs for sale, I generally don't get requests from basics as they can simply buy a dog.

In one of my breeds recently someone came, thoughtfully, noted he/she was currently a basic but will be upgrading, and asked if I was prepared to sell any puppy from a certain litter, and if I had any broods. I sold the pick of the puppies (I didn't want any of them) and a reasonable brood. This player is now a standard and contributing to the breed (I might have just been lucky here).

As I said, I'm generally not in super-competitive breeds. The one high-ranking breed I am in I was mentored by the top player, sold good dogs, advised on studs and assisted. So I now do that with all my breeds (well, I try. I accidentally got grumpy with another player recently (not the other player's fault - and this player has done wonders for the breed), and have apologised and tried to make amends. The other player is still a bit cautious of me, which is perfectly understandable. If you read this and know who you are, my apologies again).

It's how you want to play the game.
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2018 9:53:54 PM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

I can totally relate to these sentiments! Especially in the case of rarer breeds it sucks that players try to monopolize them by not providing studs or sales, but in the end it isn’t strictly against the rules so there’s not much that can be done.

However, a lot of the time in those circumstances breeders are simply used to being on their own for so long they forget to list dogs for stud and the like. It never hurts to send a message at people, in my opinion, but there isn’t much that can be done but find a new breed if there is a negative/no response.

Personally I make sure to list all my studs (usually at $25) and sell as much as I can, but different play styles will result in different approaches to other players which you unfortunately can’t control. It’s just a shame because playing by yourself doesn’t seem nearly as fun (to me) as playing with others!
 SwAt_589
Basic User

Basic User
5/19/2018 2:12:01 PM reply with quote send message to SwAt_589 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Dewey Kennel
posted by Foxfire Kennel
posted by Diasonia
Foxfire Kennel

This happens in Malinois. I asked when I started again, if the top breeders had any dogs to sell. I got no responses so I did what everyone else was doing, which was go with sourcies. Then, I find that kennel stealing points. Now, that's their right, it's fair, but so unethical. I guess some people will stop at nothing to be the best instead of coming by being the best honestly.

I breed Malinois in my other account and I didn't want to name drop but the kennel I was referring to is exactly the same kennel I was mentioning.

**ETA - Didn't realize I was posting under a different username, this is Foxfire Kennel as well happy :)

-----
Last edited by SwAt_589 on 5/19/2018 3:02:06 PM
 Hawkeye Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
5/20/2018 6:04:53 AM reply with quote send message to Hawkeye Kennel Object to Post

This just me personally so this obviously doesn't apply to everyone. I'm currently injecting source dogs into established lines to try and fix the traits in Shar-Peis that are "stuck". I've finally managed to get a 10 for heads when they were stuck in 9s for ages. What I now don't want is for the one dog with a 10 for his head to be overused as a stud to the point that he exists in every bloodline, because that kind of inbreeding is not fun! So I will put dogs like that either on a high stud fee like $200 or have it on approval if it goes to stud at all.

I don't mind my studs being bred to starter dogs but I do want to keep inbreeding low in my breed! But if someone pmed me about using one of my males as a stud I would certainly consider it!

Replies in this thread : 25
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.