Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 16

Author Topic : Naming dogs after offer accepted
 Companions
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/29/2018 2:26:09 AM reply with quote send message to Companions Object to Post   

Hi all, just wanted some feedback on something that happened when I recently purchased a puppy. The pup was unnamed and I made an offer and it was accepted, but when she appeared in my kennel she had a name the owner had given her. I was somewhat disappointed by this as I had chosen a name for myself. Can I assume the owner named the dog after seeing there was an offer but
before accepting the offer? I don't wish to appear pedantic but I wouldn't have made an offer if the dog had been named and I feel a little deceived. I thought maybe this is something that happens as a matter of course (I haven't been playing that long).
 ESAN
Basic User

Basic User
3/29/2018 3:40:51 AM reply with quote send message to ESAN Object to Post

Sometimes breeders are just out of inspiration and don't feel the need to name all puppies that are put up for sale if not all will be sold anyway and some might get FHed. So they might name them after someone's willing to buy them. I think the breeder did nothing wrong. Neither did you in assuming you will get the puppy unnamed, but you should add a message when making such offers in the future and ask for a specific name or whatever.
 Hounds of SkyHaven
Basic User

Basic User
3/29/2018 6:06:53 AM reply with quote send message to Hounds of SkyHaven Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

In my opinion, it is completely within the breeder’s rights to name a puppy they bred. If they put the puppy up for sale unnamed, and name it later.. it does not always show up on the for sale page. I agree add a message before you offer if it is something you feel strongly about.

Personally, if I have a dog for sale that is really nice that I bred, I always name them... that way I can follow show results and breeding.

-----
Last edited by Hounds of SkyHaven on 3/29/2018 6:07:30 AM
 Whitegold Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/29/2018 6:52:41 AM reply with quote send message to Whitegold Kennels Object to Post

I agree with the naming before sale. I actually find it hard to buy dogs that aren’t named as I don’t feel right putting my prefix on them, nor do I feel I can use the breeders prefix. It’s an interesting topic.
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/29/2018 10:09:57 AM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

I put pups up for sale unnamed and name them before accepting an offer. I used to send a msg to the buyer before naming asking if they had anything they wanted to use, that I didn't care as long as my kennel name was in there. But 99% of the time, the response was "name it anything you want" so I stopped asking.

I wasted too many names when I started this game by naming pups that I ended up FHing. I don't have a problem using a name someone wants, but I agree, tell me when you send me the offer. Since I got one complaint not long ago (might not have been in this kennel, can't remember), I will start asking people if they have a name in mind. But that's really time consuming.

I always want my kennel name on a pup I consider good enough to continue in the game because my bloodlines are important to me.
 Alibi
Basic User

Basic User
3/29/2018 10:10:27 AM reply with quote send message to Alibi Object to Post

To me personally I don’t care what my puppies are named after I sell them, if people message and ask I always tell them to name them whatever they like and use whichever prefix they prefer or both. If I cared I would name them before selling them.

That being said a lot of people want their prefix on their dogs and that is totally reasonable and mostly in line with real life. When I bred I always named my puppies with my kennel name.

Naming the puppy after an offer is absolutely ok, hardly any of us name all our puppies before we sell them anymore. We used to have to on the game!! They likely had the dog on approval so they could name it before it sold.
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/29/2018 11:00:13 AM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

A long time ago, there we no sales without names.

These days, you could name my dogs "Fluffy", no prefix, I don't care. Just put nice males up for stud at 30 days; that's all I want on this game these days happy :)
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/30/2018 8:21:30 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

I don't care if a dog is named or not.

I just really really hate having to wait for approval to purchase dogs.

I will usually skip over dogs on approval unless it's just something I can't live without.

Will
 DoggyPanache
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/30/2018 9:13:48 PM reply with quote send message to DoggyPanache Object to Post

Will,

In all my kennels I have them on approval just so I can name them. I track my bloodlines closely and if they don't have my kennel name, I can't find them. I don't name them before they are sold because I wasted way too many names in the beginning.

Just one of those things I guess. LOL

Fay
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/30/2018 9:23:31 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

I still hate approval. :P

Will
 Crosscroft
Basic User

Basic User
3/30/2018 10:10:43 PM reply with quote send message to Crosscroft Object to Post

I sell all unnamed dogs on approval so that I can name them with my kennel name included. If whoever I'm selling to has an established kennel name, I incorporate their kennel name as well.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
4/2/2018 2:55:45 AM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

I guess the player is one of those players who care about their dogs having their affix in their names. If you do and you named every puppy that you wernt keeping you would soon run out of naming idea as u can't reuse names. So only naming them once an offer come in would make the most sence.

Me I'm the sort of player who don't care about names.
 Loch Tay
Basic User

Basic User
4/2/2018 5:53:07 PM reply with quote send message to Loch Tay Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

If I'm selling a really good one and if an unknown buyer wants a particular name that's fine, as long as it's got my affix.

My pups in most of my kennels are usually on approval because I want communication with the buyer if it's not someone I know, I would rather FH it than sell it to some kennels. I usually only sell competitive pups,and like them to be shown..or if I would like the option on stud use/spare puppies. I don't think it's unreasonable, it happens in real life.

-----
Last edited by Flush on 4/2/2018 6:03:49 PM
 SilknT
Basic User

Basic User
4/3/2018 3:59:06 AM reply with quote send message to SilknT Object to Post

If I offer a pup for sale in my various kennels it hasn't met my requirements to keep it. Thus I am happy for the new owner to name it. If they are gracious enough to add my kennel name as a prefix or suffix, that's a bonus. My name is still there as the breeder.

If on request I am selling a pup to a specific buyer for a purpose, then that buyer adds my suffix or prefix (they have so far).

I haven't yet had a problem with this. I am however in less competitive breeds.
 Borealis Whippets
Basic User

Basic User
4/3/2018 11:22:08 AM reply with quote send message to Borealis Whippets Object to Post

I have no issue with either things that went on.

I try to give credit to the original breeder if it makes sense. Some kennel names are just too long, and I try to shorten them as best I can. Sometimes I don't.
I don't always buy a dog with the intent of showing either. Sometimes the lines are just too good, and I want to integrate them into my lines that I have worked on.

Also when I sell dogs, I don't care what you name them. I am selling dogs because I can't keep them all, or I know that, that particular dog could do wonders with someone else who has more experience in this game.

I made another basic account for future use of dogs I really want to keep, just can't use it yet, as it takes time to build up money for taking care of that kennel/and for buying extra sessions.

All in all.
For me, name the dog what you want. Include my kennel if you want, I don't care.
 Diasonia
Basic User

Basic User
5/2/2018 1:44:14 PM reply with quote send message to Diasonia Object to Post

posted by SilknT
If I offer a pup for sale in my various kennels it hasn't met my requirements to keep it. Thus I am happy for the new owner to name it. If they are gracious enough to add my kennel name as a prefix or suffix, that's a bonus. My name is still there as the breeder.

Exactly this for me.
I usually don't name pups that I wasn't planning to keep, so if someone purchases them - they can name the puppy.

I am not too keen on the prefixes, but I try to incorporate them when and where possible.
When I buy dogs unnamed, I would usually put their owner's name as a prefix, just so I know from the name that the dog was brought to breed from another kennel.
 Squeaky318
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/5/2018 1:36:20 PM reply with quote send message to Squeaky318 Object to Post

I think its a matter of preference. I have kennels where I have bought pups that were unnamed and came named, but the name incorporated both kennels so I was fine with it. I wouldn't pass up a decent dog just because I wanted to name it. You can always breed it and then affix your prefix. I sell the ones I don't want to keep but don't want to FH, unnamed. But I do have named dogs also for sale that I kept for whatever reason that no longer fit the program.

Replies in this thread : 16

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.