Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Gray Newfoundlands?
 residential5
Basic User

System.__ComObject
2/16/2018 7:41:18 PM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post   

Been working with Newfies for a few months. Is solid gray a breedable color? I've had gray & white, and all the other solids.

Thanks!
 Nefarious Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/16/2018 8:17:17 PM reply with quote send message to Nefarious Kennels Object to Post

According to the breed colour genetics, gray is a colour possibility and should actually be fairly attainable.

www.showdog.com/breeds/genetics.aspx?breed=Newfoundland
 Artesia
Basic User

Basic User
2/16/2018 8:58:12 PM reply with quote send message to Artesia Object to Post

I used to have Newfs and had solid grays, like her, www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=12374963

I had all the colours at the time, I have no newfs on my reclaim list though.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/16/2018 9:14:33 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Artisia - What did you get if you mixed brown and grey?

The grey appears to be the blue dilution.

============
If you have a grey and white and want a grey, just breed it to a solid black. You may not get solid grey at first as the black is dominant. You will have to breed the pups to each other or a similarly bred dog - a half sibling for example with the grey parent in common.

I'd be leery of mixing grey and brown - it looks to me that the grey is in fact the blue dilution gene. If you get a dog that is both blue and brown genetically, you will get a pale silvery brown type of colour (think Weimaraner,fawn Doberman). There is no picture for this colour which makes me think it might give you an N/A colour. (The blue column is alo missing in this case

Someone who has been in the breed for a while and had greys might be better informed on this.

The white markings are recessive and the black you chose might carry it so you might get black and whites, you will almost certainly get some solid black in the first cross. If the black also carries the blue/grey (and it could) you might get black, grey, black&white and grey&white. Your chances sort of depend how common that blue/grey gene is.
==============

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 2/16/2018 9:15:15 PM
 residential5
Basic User

Basic User
2/17/2018 1:42:02 PM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post

In the game, ive bred gray and white to solid black or brown. Then crossed those siblings, and did not get solid gray. Might have to do more but was wondering if it was a glitch color.
 BarStar Rotties
Basic User

Basic User
2/17/2018 5:20:39 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Rotties Object to Post

Oberland Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/17/2018 5:22:28 PM reply with quote send message to Oberland Kennels Object to Post

I have had the occasional solid grey such as this girl www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=11729041 so it is a breedable colour but to be honest as grey is not a recognised colour to show here in the UK I usually FH them unless they are exceptional for the current standard happy :)
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/17/2018 7:51:09 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

From the Canadian Kennel Club (C.K.C.) breed standard:

"The traditional colour is black. A sunburned black is permissible. White markings on chest, toes and/or tip of tail are permissible. Markings of any colour other than white are most objectionable and the dog is to be disqualified. The Landseer Newfoundland is white with black markings, and is of historical significance to the breed. The preferred pattern of markings for the Landseer is black head with white blaze extending onto the muzzle, black saddle and black rump and upper tail. All remaining parts are to be white with a minimum of ticking. The symmetry of markings and beauty of pattern characterize the best marked Landseers. Landseers are to be shown in the same classes as blacks unless special classes are provided for them."

Regarding GCH Oberhaus Lady In Grey
Both parents are brown b/b. They might be b/b,D/d "grey" carriers. If that is the case they might produce a b/b,d/d which would not be "grey" but "Doberman fawn"/Weimaraner. I'd have to say that there seems to be an issue here in any case.
-----
Last edited by on 2/17/2018 8:30:29 PM

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 2/17/2018 8:42:49 PM

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.