Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 16

Author Topic : Are there any extinct breeds?
 residential5
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/17/2017 2:29:02 PM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post   

Just wondering...trying to decide what to do with all the space in this kennel.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2017 6:10:25 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

I went through and had a look at all the dogs on the breed popularity list that are ranked between 51-188 (I didn't bother looking at the top 50 breeds - I figure that if they're rated that high then surely they're doing okay) happy :)

So here are the breeds that have low numbers of dogs - I've ranked them in 'Less than 30' 'Less than 50' and 'Less than 70' so everyone can get an idea of which breeds are close to extinction, which are in need of great help and which are struggling'.

Less than 30 dogs:
English Foxhound (30)
Old English Sheepdog (23)
Vizsla (28)
Argentine Dogo (26)
Komondor (23)
Manchester Toy Terrier (22)

Less than 50 dogs:
Bearded Collie
Briard
Beagle
Schipperke
Spinone Italiano
Finnish Spitz
Brittany
English Toy Spaniel
Puli
Redbone Coonhound
Irish Water Spaniel
Chinese Shar-Pei
Kuvasz
Scottish Deerhound
Powlish Lowland Sheepdog

Less than 70 dogs:
Curly Coat Retriever
Mastiff
Portuguese Water Dog
Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen
Clumber Spaniel
Miniature Schnauzer
Bloodhound
Mudi
Bulldog
Lakeland Terrier
Weimaraner
Black Russian Terrier
Pumi
Chesapeake Bay Retriever
Dogue de Bordeaux
Japanese Chin
Miniature Pinscher
Airedale Terrier
Appenzeller Sennenhund
Standard Schnauzer
American Water Spaniel
Great Pyrenees
Sussex Spaniel

Oh and I just thought I'd give a shout out to Shiba Inu's - they have 788 dogs !!! :O

-----
Last edited by Dalkeith on 7/17/2017 6:34:16 PM
 residential5
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2017 7:31:16 PM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post

Wow! I wasn't expecting anyone to do research.

I'm working to promote a blog I'm writing, and since it's about dogs, I'm also including ShowDog as part of my social media plan, because this is such a great site.

I think I'll add one of the under-30 breeds to the group, at least to get the breed out of the way on my big goal of Ch in every color of every breed.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2017 8:12:28 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Hahaa, that's okay - I've been meaning to do it anyway as I'm constantly on the lookout for breeds in need happy :)

I've messaged the breeders who are in Argentine Dogo's as I'm keen to rejoin the breed (I used to be involved in Dogo's many years ago - back when SD was really popular).
 Aldeberan
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/18/2017 10:39:24 AM reply with quote send message to Aldeberan Object to Post

I'm expecting a Komondor litter in a few days if anyone's interested. I only have them because it was one of my first breeds back in 2008 and I can't bear to let them go completely.

I also have Irish Water Spaniels (in a different kennel) for the same reason. My first ever Showdog litter was IWS and I will always keep a couple that go back to that first one.
 HighlandsII
Basic User

Basic User
7/18/2017 3:42:32 PM reply with quote send message to HighlandsII Object to Post

Schips and spitz in this kennel if anyone interested in joining. Schips often get group placements. I have English foxhound in BaskervilleII kennel and can help someone out if they contact me.
 Hawkeye Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/19/2017 7:33:46 AM reply with quote send message to Hawkeye Kennel Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I'm working on beefing up the Shar-Pei population, all my pups are extremely low (~25-30) but if anyone is interesting in joining the breed I'd be happy to sell any from upcoming litters happy :)

Also the Shiba population is now up to 922 :O

-----
Last edited by Hawkeye Kennel on 7/19/2017 7:34:59 AM
 BaskervilleII
Basic User

Basic User
7/19/2017 11:09:43 AM reply with quote send message to BaskervilleII Object to Post

Nice English foxhound brood and some older pups available if anyone interested in trying out the breed. Occasional group placings.
 Aldeberan
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/21/2017 12:53:00 AM reply with quote send message to Aldeberan Object to Post

I have a bunch of Komondor pups for sale. Unfortunately, I deleted the email I received asking about them. Please send me another email if it's you!
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/21/2017 11:17:13 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I have some Airedales . . .
 Marquetry
Basic User

Basic User
7/23/2017 4:10:01 AM reply with quote send message to Marquetry Object to Post

Wow, some of the breeds on this list are really surprising. Beagles and Bulldogs are both in the AKC top 10 in registrations. And I remember when Schipperkes, Great Pyrenees and Mastiffs used to be quite popular in the game. What happened?
 Hawkeye Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/23/2017 5:40:36 AM reply with quote send message to Hawkeye Kennel Object to Post

posted by Marquetry
Wow, some of the breeds on this list are really surprising. Beagles and Bulldogs are both in the AKC top 10 in registrations. And I remember when Schipperkes, Great Pyrenees and Mastiffs used to be quite popular in the game. What happened?
I'd assume that as membership declined so did breed populations, which is a real shame especially when trying to breed them back up and trying to find a stud that you haven't used before.
 residential5
Basic User

Basic User
7/23/2017 11:26:24 AM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post

posted by Marquetry
Hardly anyone plays the game anymore. I've been back a month and I'm in the top five for community posts.
 Rivacre Gundogs
Basic User

Basic User
7/24/2017 5:40:42 AM reply with quote send message to Rivacre Gundogs Object to Post

I have placed some Brittanys up for sale if anyone would like to get into the breed.
 residential5
Basic User

Basic User
7/24/2017 7:53:20 AM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post

I decided to get involved in OES. I'm looking forward to getting a bitch and getting started. I have a feeling I'm going to need to source breed to bring up colors.
 Mistaya
Basic User

Basic User
7/24/2017 10:58:57 AM reply with quote send message to Mistaya Object to Post

I started back playing a few months ago and chose Cane Corsos as there were only 2 of the 12 possible breed colours in play - have been working along with a couple of other kennels to get the lost colours back into the gene pool. Long painful process but it's coming ??
 residential5
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2017 8:31:33 PM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post

I was correct--I needed source dogs to get three genes in OES. Luckily, I got all three of them in my first go at starters, so I don't have to make any more.

Replies in this thread : 16

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.