Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Source Question
 Blarney Stone Setters
Basic User

System.__ComObject
4/24/2017 8:31:57 PM reply with quote send message to Blarney Stone Setters Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I have never used sources before, but am running into some traits such as maybe an over angulation or oversized dog, and a limited breeding pool. I acquired some sources and bred them to dogs with stats from now...and got varying degrees of fluctuated stats as expected...My question is this...

Since sources usually start off with stats starting at 20, would it be better for me to keep and breed the source/recent stat dogs that have their stats starting at 0.0 and work my way up or 20 and work my way down?? Or is it a matter of preference??

For example...this bitch has plenty of 0.0 instead of 20...so is she better or worse than the next dog posted?
bitch1 this one shows more 0's
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=15641273
bitch2 This one shows more 20's
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=15641269

Thank you and hope I'm not confusing anyone lol

-----
Last edited by Blarney Stone Setters on 4/24/2017 8:32:44 PM
 El Dorado
Basic User

Basic User
4/24/2017 8:59:49 PM reply with quote send message to El Dorado Object to Post

Try reading this post from earlier:

www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=690155#

Hope this helps
 In The Ghetto
Basic User

Basic User
4/25/2017 2:36:37 AM reply with quote send message to In The Ghetto Object to Post

From my experience, you will get traits all over the board until you get source dogs out of your pedigree.

I, personally, keep dogs of differing traits. Say your current sop has a head over 10 and every single dog around has a head over 10. I would keep anything with a head under 10 and then choose the highest SOP from there. When I was in Gordon Setters, I did this because we had feet that were deadlocked. Same with Borzoi, when I was in them. The coat was deadlocked and there wasn't a stud to be found with a coat over 10. I got a random girl and worked from there. Also, I like to "lock in" a trait, so I breed mother to son, father to daughter, brother to sister, for a few generations just to make that trait solid. Just don't look at COI as it gets scary. laugh :D
 In The Ghetto
Basic User

Basic User
4/25/2017 2:40:12 AM reply with quote send message to In The Ghetto Object to Post

Also, for your question (sorry I took off on a tangent!) Both are equally rough. The scale goes from 0 to 20 with 10 being the ideal trait. Source dogs are a special looking dog having a gigantic head or the tiniest thing imaginable. I would honestly keep both girls, that way your gene pool broadens a bit and you have traits on both sides of 10 (0-9.9 and 10.1-20)

Hopefully this answers your question!
 Desert Nomad Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
4/25/2017 7:37:40 AM reply with quote send message to Desert Nomad Dogs Object to Post

posted by In The Ghetto
From my experience, you will get traits all over the board until you get source dogs out of your pedigree.

I, personally, keep dogs of differing traits. Say your current sop has a head over 10 and every single dog around has a head over 10. I would keep anything with a head under 10 and then choose the highest SOP from there. When I was in Gordon Setters, I did this because we had feet that were deadlocked. Same with Borzoi, when I was in them. The coat was deadlocked and there wasn't a stud to be found with a coat over 10. I got a random girl and worked from there. Also, I like to "lock in" a trait, so I breed mother to son, father to daughter, brother to sister, for a few generations just to make that trait solid. Just don't look at COI as it gets scary. laugh :D

Ghetto is right on that...In Azawakh, the breed had terrible feet numbers- most were 11.0. I did find one that had lower feet numbers, so I contacted the breeder and they were kind enough to sell me this boy:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14837478
I have since lowered the feet in my lines to a 10.2, altho it has taken some lower SOP dogs to achieve this.
One just has to be focused on what you want to achieve.
On a side note, there are some Azawakh from other breeders now that have feet numbers as low as 10.6.
 Blarney Stone Setters
Basic User

Basic User
4/25/2017 12:35:28 PM reply with quote send message to Blarney Stone Setters Object to Post

Thank you it's very helpful! I had a bunch of source cross litters and kept quite a few to work from. Time will tell!

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.