.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Newbies-large or small shows
 overit2
Basic User

System.__ComObject
4/4/2017 12:02:31 PM reply with quote send message to overit2 Object to Post   

Hello all,

New to this show dog world. To be perfectly honest we plan to mainly focus on hunt test/trials for our Weim pup but want to also do our best to earn his show championship as we've promised our breeder to do so. He comes from excellent hunting/conformation lines so it shouldn't be that hard to earn.

That said, he's 7 months and we were going to enter him in the Perry show and hire a handler for his first show. The more we thought about I couldn't justify that kind of expense with no guarantee that he'd earn any points. We live in the same state but 2hrs away so between hotel/food/handler fees and entering him in 3 reg 6-9 month and 1 speciality-plus the dog staying w/her a few days for training-just seems like a lot with the odd chance to pick up a point. With newcomers-would it be best to focus on smaller/more specialized shows and owner handle him? I've been to a couple classes (group) and he seemed totally unhappy with it so maybe I should wait until he's a bit older and take some individual one on one classes w/a handler instead?

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
 Ugglans
Basic User

Basic User
4/5/2017 1:37:28 AM reply with quote send message to Ugglans Object to Post

Since your question is about real life showing I think you will get better answers in a forum for for real life dogs. This is a game happy :) There is a forum for RL show dogs here, but generally the forums are not very active, so my best advice is to ask elsewhere. Or maybe ask the breeder.

Good luck with your pup! happy :)

/Jenny
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/5/2017 12:43:47 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Do post in the Real Dogs Forum. While there are not too many new posts, I do think that the regular players are also regular readers.

Have you asked the dogs breeder for an opinion? If the dog does not seem happy at a show you maybe need to get him out and about more. Take him to conformation focused classes - good for you too if you are thinking of handling. They don't have to show places but anywhere where there is a lot going on. Do your best to make it a fun trip for the dog. Avoid having him associate any bad stuff with any place that resembles a show.

I've never used a handler but I've been told that it is often the most efficient way of finishing a dog and perhaps(?) cheaper in the long run. Choose your handler carefully. Watch how they handle other peoples dogs including the times they are not actually in the ring. The handler may want the dog to live with them for more than a few days.

And this is a game site. Hopefully you will try out the game too.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 4/5/2017 12:45:55 PM

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class