Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Doberman Breeders?
 casberryjjs
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/17/2017 11:47:20 PM reply with quote send message to casberryjjs Object to Post   

Hello all,

I am recently back in the market for a new puppy after losing my 14 y/o Pit Bull back in November. I have wanted a Doberman for years, but never had the space or resources for one. However, I feel that the situation is right for me to finally bring one into my life.

I remembered this website from years ago and thought maybe someone could direct me to reputable breeders in the Pennsylvania/Virginia/Ohio area. I've searched the internet, but I prefer to get recommendations from those who have experience.

Although price is not my primary concern, I am 20 and living on my own. Although I am certainly able to afford a dog, $2500+ is slightly out of my price range. I am experienced with many different breeds and have owned dogs for my entire life.

I hope that this is the right place for this type of post; If not, my apologies. Thanks in advance for your help!
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/18/2017 1:10:13 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

I would also love to have a doberman someday, but I just don't have a yard of my own yet to do so. Nevertheless, I have inquired with several reputable breeders in different parts of the country and $2500 seems to be the average price for a dobe. I'm assuming the ear crop surgery is some of the reason for the cost, aside from health testing of the parents, etc.

I'm not sure if you are specifically looking for a puppy, but maybe consider adopting from a doberman rescue group? Adoption fees for the rescue in my area run anywhere from $100 (senior dogs) to $250-350. happy :)
 GaylanStudio9
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/26/2017 1:02:27 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio9 Object to Post

Also check with those reputable breeders about an older dog, unless you really want a puppy. They will sometimes have an older dog - retired broody or show dog.

The two cockers I have now and the one previous have all come to me that way. These dogs are past the puppy issues, well mostly (lol). They are trained and usually at least partially house trained though they will need to be watched in that regard for the first few months.

If the breeder can be assured that you are offering a good and permanent home, I think you can get a more acceptable deal. Owning a dog is expensive. Inquire about any existing or developing or potential health issues, just as you would with a puppy so you know what you are getting into.

Tyler was 1.5 when I got him and I had him until he was 15.5 years. Baxter I've had for about two years and he was 2.5 when I got him, and Paris is 6 and I've had her about four months. "Kennel" dogs really appreciate becoming full-time house dogs.

Good luck.
 Liadan Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
4/22/2017 11:19:29 PM reply with quote send message to Liadan Kennel Object to Post

Obviously stay away from the broker sites (lancasterpuppies, greenfieldpuppies, keystone puppies, etc) and if you don't know already stay far away from Kimbertal, they're just a large scale puppy mill. Also heard bad things about Jambolou.

Shadeko Dobermans is in or around PA I believe and have heard good things about them. Fully health tested and titled dogs. There website hasn't been updated in awhile but you can call or email them.

Dancing Star Dobermans is in PA. Also fully health tested and titled stock. Their website is more current, contact info listed at the bottom of the page.

And to condence the list, last I checked all were still active and located in Ohio or PA.

Ohio
Mirabel Dobermans
Quartet Dobermans
Briarwood Dobermans

PA
Caleb Dobermans
Fitzmar Dobermans
Jalayn (info on DCPA)

And of course check the DCPA breeder referral for more options. Just make sure to be very thorough as Dobermans are a notoriously unhealthy breed meaning health testing and researching the pedigree is vital.

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.