Search

.com Forum · Portuguese Pointer

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : PP Breeders - please add your input re: colours
 Inglenook
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/1/2017 9:09:51 PM reply with quote send message to Inglenook Object to Post   

I'm starting to get a little bit concerned that we're slowly losing the Brown and Brown/White colours - so I thought I'd get everyone to post here with the number of dogs per colour they currently have in their kennels.

I'd also like to know if you're focusing on keeping a variety of the 4 colours, or if colours have very little/nothing to do with your current breeding program. happy :)

As we all know - Yellow/White seems to be the 'dominant' colour in the fact that 99% of our old/hidden stud stock were all that colour.

I'm thrilled with our ever increasing progress in the breed with SOP - however I fear that we are going to end up like the breed did the last time - with 99% Yellow/Whites sad :(

The only reason we currently have Yellow, Brown, and Brown/White is that we brought the colours back with source dogs (in conjunction with about 5 old studs).

I currently run this kennel (Inglenook) solely to breed the two Brown varieties, and run my other PP kennel (No Added Sugar) to solely breed the yellow colours.

Feel free to use this form and add your comments: happy :)

# of Yellow/Whites:
# of Yellows:
# of Brown/Whites:
# of Browns:

Does colour play a part in your breeding program:
Any other comments:

happy :)
 Inglenook
Basic User

Basic User
1/1/2017 9:40:32 PM reply with quote send message to Inglenook Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

# of Yellow/Whites: 0
# of Yellows: 0
# of Brown/Whites: 38
# of Browns: 20

Does colour play a part in your breeding program: Yes - Solely focusing on breeding Brown and Brown/Whites in this kennel.

Any other comments: By the looks of it I need to increase the number of Browns that I'm keeping.

Both my brown varieties are a lot lower in quality/SOP compared to my Yellow varieties in my other kennel.

-----
Last edited by Inglenook on 1/1/2017 9:43:14 PM
 Anachronism
Basic User

Basic User
1/2/2017 7:25:18 AM reply with quote send message to Anachronism Object to Post

# of Yellow/Whites: 37
# of Brown/Whites: 7
# of Browns: 1

Does colour play a part in your breeding program: No, my main goal is to get SOP to current level

Any other comments: I have saved a brown stud dog and some brown and white dogs and bitches to start working on colour once the quality is better. I am also going to breed some brown and white litters to try and up the numbers, these will likely go up for sale. I am happy to give them free to whoever wants them happy :)
 No Added Sugar
Basic User

Basic User
1/2/2017 6:53:44 PM reply with quote send message to No Added Sugar Object to Post

I'll post my numbers once I've sorted through this kennel as I currently have like 85 dogs LOL :P
 No Added Sugar
Basic User

Basic User
1/7/2017 12:03:31 AM reply with quote send message to No Added Sugar Object to Post

# of Yellow/Whites: 28
# of Yellows: 16
# of Brown/Whites: 0
# of Browns: 0

Does colour play a part in your breeding program:
Any other comments: Yes - solely breeding for Yellows and Yellow/Whites in this kennel. My Yellows have always been a bit lacking and slower to improve, and now they are less represented in this kennel, so I'll need to ensure I don't let them drop any lower.
 SoBre Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
3/5/2017 1:48:10 PM reply with quote send message to SoBre Dogs Object to Post

Reviving my old kennel to help out on colors

# of Yellow/Whites: 8
# of Yellows: 2
# of Brown/Whites: 6
# of Browns: 3

I saw that most of the current studs are slowly going back to the Brown and White or Yellow and White....Hope we don't run into the color problem again.
 Into Thin Air
Basic User

Basic User
3/13/2017 10:09:15 PM reply with quote send message to Into Thin Air Object to Post

I've decided to use this kennel to focus solely on solid Yellow. (As I'm finding that the Yellow/Whites are totally domination my other kennel lol).

# of Yellow/Whites: 3
# of Yellows: 18
# of Brown/Whites: 0
# of Browns: 0

Each time I have Yellow/Whites born I'm slowly moving them to my other kennel (No Added Sugar), or placing them up for sale to anyone.

My current Yellows range in SOP from: 85.70 - 89.40%
 Inglenook
Basic User

Basic User
3/13/2017 10:14:31 PM reply with quote send message to Inglenook Object to Post

# of Yellow/Whites: 0
# of Brown/Whites: 24
# of Browns: 13

My Browns SOP range from: 83.65-86.55%

My Brown/Whites SOP range from: 82.95-88.70%

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.