Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Trait numbers
 Flush
Basic User

System.__ComObject
11/21/2016 11:55:45 PM reply with quote send message to Flush Object to Post   

I have started a small semi source line ...source bitches bred to older dogs, 3 or 4 generations back from the current winning dogs in an amateur attempt at widening the very small gene pool.

So my question is: How to work out breedings based on the trait numbers. If I have a 14 trait, do I breed it to a 9.6 or 10.4? Or won't it make much difference when there is so much distance between the numbers? Those are mostly the closest traits to 10 in the breed I can use.
 jaime1985
Basic User

Basic User
11/22/2016 1:23:18 AM reply with quote send message to jaime1985 Object to Post

I am doing something similar, until the stats start getting closer to 10 I wouldnt bother trying to even them up. I am doing this with a few breeds, I am furthest along on my 8th set of breedings atm, I expect I will try balancing for the 9th, maybe 10th breeding.

Good luck, it is very rewarding to see the numbers start to come up happy :)
 Flush
Basic User

Basic User
11/22/2016 1:31:36 PM reply with quote send message to Flush Object to Post

Thanks. Yes, it is exciting!! happy :)
 jaime1985
Basic User

Basic User
11/22/2016 1:58:36 PM reply with quote send message to jaime1985 Object to Post

I remembered this and thought you might find it interesting

www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=593291

Also this is the progress I have made, you may find it interesting.

My source bitch 17.25 (I called these my gen 1)
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?name=Anachronism%20Agama

My most current pups are (gen 8) this is my best girl 86.40
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=15313449

They jump nicely in numbers at first but then start to slow down, my gen 8 bitches mother was 80.15

I should really start to pay attention to stats myself, been focused in keeping COI at 0% lol

Hope this was remotely helpful happy :)

Blitz Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
11/22/2016 6:24:05 PM reply with quote send message to Blitz Kennel Object to Post

When I was source breeding I tried to find someone with a trait on the other side of 10 from the get go. Especially if there aren't many current show sops with that opposite trait. happy :)
 Flush
Basic User

Basic User
11/23/2016 12:00:36 AM reply with quote send message to Flush Object to Post

Yes I was surprised how well my first generation worked out, 46/47 SOP from a 30 bitch. Thanks for the info
 Caulfeilds Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/23/2016 11:16:51 AM reply with quote send message to Caulfeilds Kennels Object to Post

I have learned that one set of breedings can have the same, or similar SOPs than the last one, then, with the next one, I can see a jump.
This is with true source breeding though, not sure if you get this when you mix in showdogs into the mix.

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.