Search

.com Forum · Swedish Vallhund

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Re-post: Breeding for Red Sables (Swedish Vallhunds)
 Komorebi
Basic User

System.__ComObject
11/6/2016 5:05:32 PM reply with quote send message to Komorebi Object to Post   

Rhondacline kindly posted this explanation for how to breed for Red Sables in our breed - so I thought I would post it in our breed forum so we have it for future reference happy :)

"You can go to Black or Blue or Grey actually.

Red, Black, Blue & Gray are all "AA"

Black is BB/Bb DD/Dd
Blue is BB/Bb dd
and red is bb DD/Dd/dd

What makes Grey is the 'C' locus - Black and Blue are CC or Cc - where grey is cc.

Red (bb) 'hides' the c locus - so bb CC, bb Cc and bb cc are all red.

BUT it's going to take two breedings to get your red. (UNLESS some of your current SOP dogs are hiding a 'b')

So, the only genes that we are concerned with are the 'AA' and the 'B'

Take your two best reds and breed them to a Black, Blue or Grey. Your puppies will be AA Bb

Depending on how much room you have - you will keep 1 or 2 boys and 1 or 2 girls - they will probably be black/blue.

Once those puppies are 30 days breed them together.
This litter (AA Bb x AA Bb) will produce

AA BB - Black/Blue/Grey
AA Bb - Black/Blue/Grey
AA bb - Red

Keep your best Reds and repeat the process.

The only color I would stay away from is the Yellow Sable. One 'ay' gene hides everything.
"
 Northern Lightz
Basic User

Basic User
2/13/2017 5:50:48 PM reply with quote send message to Northern Lightz Object to Post

Bumping this post.
 Ariege
Basic User

Basic User
4/29/2017 7:54:23 PM reply with quote send message to Ariege Object to Post

Northern Lightz
Basic User

Basic User
8/19/2017 6:46:49 AM reply with quote send message to Northern Lightz Object to Post

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.