Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 17

Author Topic : It really ticks me off when......
 MorganMtn
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/18/2016 7:21:45 AM reply with quote send message to MorganMtn Object to Post   

Everyone in our SD breed enters all of their source dogs trying to get points and then someone comes along with a completely blue dog and takes all the wins.....every night!!! People are spending a huge amount of money entering their dogs only to hand that win over to the blue dog every night. None of the source breeders put their dog on a handler, but this breeder does....every single night. I'm not showing at the moment but have noticed what this breeder is doing regardless. Some of the other breeders have picked up on what is happening and have started pulling all of their dogs at an added cost. I wish Jeff could put shows together for SOURCE dogs only! Sorry, I just needed to vent!
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
10/18/2016 7:47:25 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post

The best dog should win.

Will
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
10/18/2016 8:22:29 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I will admit, I will take advantage of those type opportunities in a minute with little to no remorse.

Selecting the shows where your dog is most likely to win is what I consider 'handling' and is a key part of the strategy of the game.

Edited to add - some of the source players entering 20-30 dogs every day is playing havoc with the points schedules in some breeds. That type of play is negatively affecting EVERYONE in the breed. I am fairly certain that Pyrs was one of the breeds where that was happening.

-----
Last edited by rhondacline on 10/18/2016 8:26:09 AM
 tarad202
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/18/2016 9:45:28 AM reply with quote send message to tarad202 Object to Post

I understand your frustration when this happens. But, since this is a game, players will go for the win. Some options are entering your dogs later in the evening, breed better dogs, or enter dogs in multiple shows.
 Saffyre
Basic User

Basic User
10/18/2016 9:46:23 AM reply with quote send message to Saffyre Object to Post

These same kennels aren't willing to share their genetics either. Won't put their males up for stud. Not willing to sell puppies. Without their help, there is no way to compete against them.

It's exactly why I left the breed.
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
10/18/2016 10:13:20 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

It's every player's choice whether to 'share' or not. The player is not breaking any rules of the game.
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
10/20/2016 9:54:24 AM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

You wouldn't show them in real life! yep I would be the blue one to enter as well.

It's cheaper and faster to improve your line by breeding only.

I'll vote for the "match" type of show so that source breeders can get a hint of hidden traits and decimal places, which can still be done in regular shows btw...
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
10/20/2016 10:00:46 AM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

I also want to add that it is a banning offense if you have a supper kennel. Meaning more than one kennel of the same breed acting as one - including to bump competitions.

That is what makes me furious !
 Chenoa Valley
Basic User

Basic User
10/20/2016 10:06:47 AM reply with quote send message to Chenoa Valley Object to Post

This situation does sound very frustrating. I'm sure most of the time when folks choose to help save a breed from extinction it is with the hope that others will join in on the fun too. Stuff like this discourages folks from trying which is likely why certain breeds are on the bottom of the breed list.

Given the fact that there is a growing number of breeds in need, I think setting up a match type of show would be a wonderful idea. It would allow source breeders to see those hidden decimals and help them to build stronger lines. Perhaps this match type of thing could be judged using the old system rather than the new one. Just a thought.
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
10/20/2016 12:15:16 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

I would simply like to add that there is always more than one side to every story.

Based on my limited knowledge of the situation (I am also Liason in Pyrs) - there is no 'super kennel' tactics going on.
 Caulfeilds Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/22/2016 3:44:02 PM reply with quote send message to Caulfeilds Kennels Object to Post

Just like in real life, if you enter a poorly bred dog the best dog wins.

I breed only source in here and wouldn't even dream of entering them in shows until they are up to quality.

Then I can be proud if they get points or even win.

This is a game.

I had this issue, in another kennel, when someone would enter dogs over mine and win. So, I set my alarm for 10 to the closing time and went in to enter my dogs. It worked for the most part...LOL

Carol
 Morpurgo3
Basic User

Basic User
12/29/2016 4:26:22 PM reply with quote send message to Morpurgo3 Object to Post

posted by Studio Dogs
I also want to add that it is a banning offense if you have a supper kennel. Meaning more than one kennel of the same breed acting as one - including to bump competitions.

That is what makes me furious !

Yes, it does make me furious but after sometime away from the game I return to see the same super kennels dominating a breed and making it unworkable for other kennels who cannot get majors when stacking with their own entries (not my breed in this kennel). My main point here is that the kennel has never been banned and I'm not sure that much notice is taken.
 Blitzstan
Basic User

Basic User
11/28/2018 3:25:05 AM reply with quote send message to Blitzstan Object to Post

An old thread but unfortunately still accurate.

I have resurrected cream and chocolate in Schipperke and have been actively trying to breed from source dogs. I took great pains to select a show where no other Schipperke’s were entered. Bear in mind these are source dogs so have a rating Of about 10. For someone to come along with blacks at 98 +

I know I pay an entry fee and take a chance but it’s two days on the trot, one kennel and only a couple of their dogs entered, just enough to obviously steal full points against my 10/12 starters

It’s very frustrating!
 HSKennel
Basic User

Basic User
11/28/2018 11:23:09 AM reply with quote send message to HSKennel Object to Post

Enter dogs just before the shows close.
 Foxfire Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
12/25/2018 10:45:48 AM reply with quote send message to Foxfire Kennel Object to Post

I know this is an older post but it is still relatable. I've quit a breed because of this exact problem. I've started with source dogs and got a decent way but I was unable to show or finish any dogs because of one kennel that would wait until the very last possible second to add their dogs to shows to steal points. I know its a game but if a player has dogs with an SOP of 90+ showing against source dogs with a single digit SOP and refusing to help out makes me so furious to the point where I question what the point of playing the game is. The current breed I am in now has very few players and yes I admit I stack my dogs in shows but I make sure I add only my dogs. I never add more than 1 or 2 dogs to a show that already has other dogs from another kennel just to make sure its fair.
Rant over.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/25/2018 1:20:28 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

I was in a rare breed for a while until I had to cut back from 15 kennels to 5.

The way I saw it then (and now) is that I don't have to win the points or the breed to see how the decimals play out. I can just look at the placings. I would enter 5 of each sex and see how it fell out. Besides, that's under one judge, another would be different anyway.

For that reason, I don't think shows are a good way to judge quality. A better approach would be to just do a lot of breeding and see the traits improve.

IMHO...
 Caulfeilds Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/12/2019 4:29:49 PM reply with quote send message to Caulfeilds Kennels Object to Post

i have been breeding Source dogs for almost 13 years.

I have never sessioned and entered a source dog in a show for obvious reasons. They do not have well developed traits.

Much like in RL when someone enters their dog who has poor conformation.
Why? in my opinion, it is a waste of money.
 residential
Basic User

Basic User
1/19/2019 6:43:25 AM reply with quote send message to residential Object to Post

Just think of it like the judge withheld placement for lack of quality.

Replies in this thread : 17

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class