Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 12

Author Topic : Kennel Naming Contest - Payout in SD Money!
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/13/2016 3:07:44 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post   

In the real world.... I have a small 'hobby' kennel but have never needed my own kennel name as I co-owned and used theirs prior.
I'm planning on breeding my first litter in this breed next Spring and am ready for a real kennel name. I've always used Astoria (both here on SD and in real life) prior but my fiancé doesn't care for it.
I started in dachshunds and now have German Wirehaired Pointers.
I like more unique names, but something with meaning and that is easy to pronounce. Shorter is better.

Feel free to ask questions, either here or PM, and I'll happily answer them... I'm thinking $10,000 SD to the winner and $5,000 SD to the runner up? People used to really hurt for money on here, but I'm not sure if that's the case anymore since the double sessions.
Either way, I've been struggling with a kennel name for quite some time so I'm reaching out to your guys who are all vastly more clever than I!

T

Basic User

Basic User
5/13/2016 4:39:05 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Komorebi...Japanese for sunlight coming thru trees.

Lagom (pronounced ya-agom)...means "just right" in Swedish.

Ubuntu...basically translates to "we are defined by our kindness to others" in Nguni (spoken in South Africa)

Limerence...pretty much another English word for infatuation.

Petrichor...smell of rain (it actually has a name!)

Sonder...act of realizing that everyone has a unique history just as you do.

Dulcet...sweet, sugary

Tristful...deep, romantic melancholy

I can definitely come up with more. I love words so much and as a poet I know some lovely ones.

Alexandria

Lace Dreams
Basic User

Basic User
5/13/2016 4:39:11 PM reply with quote send message to Lace Dreams Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Sorry. That was me...

-----
Last edited by Lace Dreams on 5/13/2016 4:39:46 PM
 Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
5/14/2016 6:04:03 AM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

I love 'komorebi' - its one of the names of my SD kennels as I think its such a beautiful word! and the meaning is just so beautiful! The Japanese language have many, many amazing words that stand for particular phrases that just make the English language sound so boring, lol!
 Lace Dreams
Basic User

Basic User
5/14/2016 9:00:47 AM reply with quote send message to Lace Dreams Object to Post

posted by Chaos and Havoc
The Japanese language have many, many amazing words that stand for particular phrases that just make the English language sound so boring, lol!
Amen to that! I want to learn Japanese someday just for the simple fact that it explains living easier and more beautifully.

Alexandria
 Bennett Working Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
5/14/2016 5:27:24 PM reply with quote send message to Bennett Working Dogs Object to Post

Emuna, Hebrew for faith.
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
5/16/2016 3:30:06 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

Thanks for the ideas so far!
I think the most important to me is something that is pronounced exactly as it looks. I want it to be easy to read and say, so people will instantly recognize it and not butcher the word happy :)

keep them coming!

(my breeds are german, but I don't like most german words... something involving 'three' or versatile would be an added bonus)
 Boodie Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/16/2016 5:11:39 PM reply with quote send message to Boodie Kennels Object to Post

Asha ( A-Sha or Ah-Sha )- Swahili for "life"

-Gio
  Absolut
Basic User

Basic User
5/17/2016 11:27:04 AM reply with quote send message to  Absolut Object to Post

Trinity
drei - ‘three' in German
Dalmar - ‘versatile’
Trinität - German for ‘trinity'

Play on three/tri:

Tribal
Tribune - a popular leader; a champion of the people
Tribute - an act, statement, or gift that is intended to show gratitude, respect, or admiration
Trickish - given to or characterized by tricks
Trictrac - a form of backgammon
Trifecta - a run of three wins or grand events
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
5/17/2016 11:49:28 AM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

Cerberus ? common enough that most can pronounce it, with some accent of sorts wink :)
 Fawns Park
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2016 9:19:47 AM reply with quote send message to Fawns Park Object to Post

In Scotland most kennel, stable and livestock prefixes come from the place you live. So, a village, district, name of a house, name of a farm. Perhaps you can go that route?
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2016 3:10:11 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

I like Trifecta, I've always liked Triad too, but that's the name of the company I work for lol!

I think I would eventually like to be able to register it, and AKC won't allow kennel name registration of places or people, so I had been trying to avoid that. The name of our road (Cedarbrook) is actually in use by someone else in the breed! Several people in the breed have location based kennel names too
 Paws with Poise Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
5/20/2016 6:13:43 AM reply with quote send message to Paws with Poise Kennel Object to Post

What about Kraft? It's German for power or strength.

Replies in this thread : 12

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.