Search

.com Forum · Hound Breeds

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : Saluki color breeding
 Roaming Tazi Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/2/2015 10:46:23 AM reply with quote send message to Roaming Tazi Kennels Object to Post   

How would I go about getting starter dogs to resurrect some of the lost colors in Salukis? I have been having much better success doing this in Borzoi and would like to work on Salukis.
 Topaz Fields
Basic User

Basic User
7/2/2015 12:37:52 PM reply with quote send message to Topaz Fields Object to Post

Which colors are you looking for? I am color-breeding for solid chocolate and black and have dogs in the mid-60 SOP range now. Sometimes I come across odd colors or patterns. I can keep an eye out for the colors/patterns you want to bring back. If you want to buy starters, I believe the option is listed under 'My Account'.
 Topaz Fields
Basic User

Basic User
7/2/2015 12:39:20 PM reply with quote send message to Topaz Fields Object to Post

Yep, under 'My Account', scroll almost to the bottom, on the right under Miscellaneous is the option to buy starters.
 Kaliz
Basic User

Basic User
7/2/2015 12:48:39 PM reply with quote send message to Kaliz Object to Post

I just started Saluki color breeding. I'm trying to focus on Black and Silver - in my last litters I also got Cream, Cream Sable and Silver.

SOPs are still 10-20ish, but I'm excited about all of the color possibilities.
 Roaming Tazi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/2/2015 4:12:27 PM reply with quote send message to Roaming Tazi Kennels Object to Post

Thank you!! I see it now. I have come back after a while and did not know they added that! Woot!

I have a family account now and will start to use my other kennel Hounds of Ascent as my color breeding Salukis. I purchased a rainbow of colors. I would love to get in touch with you both after I have a few litters about using studs to get the SOP up there and the colors consistent. Thank you guys for showing me this!
 Kaliz
Basic User

Basic User
8/18/2015 7:39:10 AM reply with quote send message to Kaliz Object to Post

Does anyone have a Grizzle gene?

I'm not seeing a Grizzle on the Dogs at Stud board, but wanted to check before I purchase a starter.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/18/2015 1:35:40 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

What colors do you have for Zois? Any coats over 10? I am doing a coat project and a little bit of dabbling in color. lol
 Topaz Fields
Basic User

Basic User
8/19/2015 11:50:44 AM reply with quote send message to Topaz Fields Object to Post

I don't have any grizzles and haven't seen any in my litters sad :(
 Kaliz
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2015 9:51:35 AM reply with quote send message to Kaliz Object to Post

I bumped the saluki 'color model'
- it may be a little easier to work with to determine genes.

Do we want to list what colors (genes) we have?
I did purchase a few starters this morning for grizzle.

For stud dogs I have:

Cream feathered (ce ee)
Black & Tan feathered (Bb C*)
Silver Irish (cchce ee)
Silver Grizzle Parti SMOOTH (aw* cchce E* sp* L*)
Black & Silver feathered (ata Bb cch or ce)

for the girls I have
silver grizzle smooth (cchece E* L*)
cream grizzle smooth (cece ee L*)
cream sable (cece E*)
fawn sable (cchcch E*)
black & silver
chocolate & tan

Abandoned Kennel:
www.showdog.com/general/user_information.aspx?user=Castille

white feathered (swsw)
red sable feathered (ay* CC E*) 91.0 & 91.20 & 91.05
cream sable feathered (ay* cece E*) 90.35
golden feathered (C (cch or ce) ee)90.40
Silver Sable feathered (ay* cchce E*) 89.80 & 87.90
Chocolate & Tan
Cream Feathered (cece ee) 89.45
 Topaz Fields
Basic User

Basic User
8/21/2015 10:37:45 AM reply with quote send message to Topaz Fields Object to Post

I have no idea what I have in my kennel, genetics-wise. What I can tell you is that solid chocolate and solid black behave as recessives to tan/silver points, while other solid colors seem to behave as they should (dominant to tan/silver points).
 Kaliz
Basic User

Basic User
8/21/2015 6:54:20 PM reply with quote send message to Kaliz Object to Post

Yes, the color model shows

Solid black as 'aa'
and Solid Chocolate as 'aa'

the 'and tans/silver' - are atat or ata

Roaming Tazi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/22/2015 10:51:48 AM reply with quote send message to Roaming Tazi Kennels Object to Post

I'm a moron. Sorry guys. I didn't even realize people replied after me. I'm not ignoring anyone I promise lol...

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class