Search

.com Forum · Obedience Forum

Replies in this thread : 10

Author Topic : Open A vs Open B
 SmokeJumper Kennel
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/14/2015 9:32:26 PM reply with quote send message to SmokeJumper Kennel Object to Post   

What is the difference between the A and B classes?

My boy was first in B but his next level, he is in the A class.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
6/21/2015 2:59:00 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you are in 'B' until you finish your first obedience title and then all your other dogs automatically go into 'A' (or vice versa)
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/23/2015 9:15:19 AM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

From the help pages

Dogs are entered in A classes if the owner has not previously earned the respective title on a dog. Otherwise dogs are entered in B classes. You can see which class (A vs B) your dogs would be entered in for each level on your kennel page.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
6/23/2015 2:12:29 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

That still has me in the dark. laugh :D
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
6/23/2015 5:04:57 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

OK so if you start out in obedience with dog 1 then in is entered in Novice A until it gains its title when it moves up to Open A. You then enter dog 2 in Novice but it goes in Novice B. If dog 1 gains its title from Open A it moves up to Utliity A. Dog 2 gains its title from Novice B but at the time dog 1 is still in Open A so dog 2 goes into Open A. I think that's how it works, but I must admit I'm pretty confused right know.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
6/23/2015 5:17:22 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Hmm, ok. I'm just confused why my guy started in Novice B but went to Open A. I'm not sure about Utility yet, as he is still working on those, it's taking FOREVER!!!!

I'll just smile and nod my head as I muddle through the obedience shows. happy :)

Thank you!
 Afterburner Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/23/2015 6:35:05 PM reply with quote send message to Afterburner Kennels Object to Post

If it's the same as real life,
Novice: you are only in Novice A with your first dog to get a CD, then you never show in Novice A again. That's for very,very beginners. Once you go to show another dog in Novice, automatically you are in B. And the next dog and the next..

Open: You are in A until you get your title. Then you can go to B, or if you're ready, go to Utility A. Otherwise the only time you go into B is if you do not own the dog and are showing it for someone else (But I'm not sure if that applies to this game)

Utility: You're in A until you get your title, then you show in B. But once you get your UD, you go for your UDX which is showing in both open B and utility B.

The only time you never go in open or utility A again is if you get an OTCH. Every dog you go to show after you get your OTCH is automatically in the B classes.
And I don't think there's an OTCH in this game yet.

This is all from real life showing. If there's any confusion, I'd be happy to clarify. happy :)
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
6/24/2015 2:59:25 AM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Thanks, it is confusing, I just train till they have 18's then enter, check dropped marks and train extra for those exercises!
 SmokeJumper Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
6/24/2015 12:28:48 PM reply with quote send message to SmokeJumper Kennel Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Ok, so I must have shown a dog in the Novice class before and that's why I was put in Novice B, but must not have showed in Open classes before?

That is very likely, I began obedience when it first came out but didn't like all the sessions it took.

Thank you!

-----
Last edited by SmokeJumper Kennel on 6/24/2015 12:29:14 PM
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/21/2016 6:47:59 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Are there ANY instructions anywhere for basic obedience showing and sessioning?
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/22/2016 2:10:52 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

In real life, the only time you would HAVE to enter Open B and Utility B before putting the CDX or UD on the dog would be if you've put an OTCH (Obedience Trial Championship) on a dog previously, or if you are not the owner of the dog. If you're the owner of the dog and are just seeking the CDX or UD titles, you can enter the A classes until up to 30 days after you've earn the titles.

Based on the above rules (and the fact that OTCHs can't be obtained on Showdog as of now), everyone should "technically" be in the Open and Utility A classes since only the owners of the dog (not the breeders, etc.) are entering and showing them.

Novice, on the other hand, you will always enter the B classes once you put a CD on the dog. Novice A is reserved for the brand spankin' new trainers. So, when you hear people in RL say, "He was my 'A' dog", they're referring to Novice A and the first dog they ever trained for a CD/obedience title.

Hope that helps. It would have been cool if Showdog had incorporated OTCH titles for the obedience aspect. It would have been a way to retain basic players, since they were limited on breedings (and thus their ability to really get involved in the genetics/conformation side of showing.)

(Currently working on the Graduate Open title on my pointer in real life.) laugh :D

-----
Last edited by Super Uber Kennels on 8/22/2016 2:25:52 AM

Replies in this thread : 10

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing