Search

.com Forum · Canaan Dog

Replies in this thread : 110
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
<< prev page next page >>

Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/25/2015 7:48:54 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I added a new kennel through my family management account. happy :)
 Lany
Basic User

Basic User
8/26/2015 1:39:15 PM reply with quote send message to Lany Object to Post

I still can't make a kennel. I'm basically putting Canaans on hold until I can, since I want to split them. That being said, I have a TON of unticked puppies, SOP is really bad on most but if anyone is looking for a specific color unticked, let me know, I likely have it!
 CirclingSky
Basic User

Basic User
8/29/2015 8:57:28 AM reply with quote send message to CirclingSky Object to Post

I put some higher SOP (though still low) colors up for sale-some solids, a black and tan stud. Will take offers of $25 if anyone is interested.
 Eriseds
Basic User

Basic User
8/30/2015 11:30:44 PM reply with quote send message to Eriseds Object to Post

I did finally get to create a kennel, but working around it with my family kennel (wish I had thought of that a bit ago!). This one will be breeding solids.

I didn't get anything good for starters except the one I kept, the rest were all stuff we didn't need.
 Blitz Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/31/2015 1:59:01 AM reply with quote send message to Blitz Kennel Object to Post

Go away for a weekend and come back to PUPPIES GALORE!

Here is a list of the colors. All are up for grabs, while I decide what I want to work with. laugh :D

Gold
Gold and White Long Coat Over 30 days, bitch
Gold and White Ticked
Sand
Sand and White
White Long Coat
White and Black
White and Black Ticked Long Coat Over 30 days, dog and bitch and puppies
White and Cream Long Coat
White and Cream Ticked
White and Cream Ticked Long Coat Liver Pigmented
White and Gold Over 30 days, bitch and puppies
White and Gold Ticked
White and Gold Liver Pigment Over 30 days, bitch
White and Gold Ticked Long Coat
White and Gold Ticked Long Coat Liver Pigmented Over 30 days, dog and puppies
White and Sand
White and Sand Ticked Long Coat Liver Pigmented Over 30 days, bitch
 CirclingSky
Basic User

Basic User
9/3/2015 8:00:30 PM reply with quote send message to CirclingSky Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

okay fellow Canaan colorites....riddle me this.

I bred a white and gold to a white and gold ticked. I got 9 puppies. 6 were white and gold or white and gold liver pigment. one was white, liver and tan. 2 were white, black and tan!! How does that make sense genetically? Any thoughts?

-----
Last edited by CirclingSky on 9/3/2015 8:01:57 PM
 CirclingSky
Basic User

Basic User
9/3/2015 8:09:47 PM reply with quote send message to CirclingSky Object to Post

Here's another puzzler...this is why I am addicted to this breed!

dad-black long coat
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?name=CirclingSky%20Dark%20Star

Mom white and sand ticked liver pigment
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?name=CirclingSky%20Golden%20Sand

9 puppies-white, black and tan ticked long coat; blackx2; cream long coatx2; gold long coat; white long coat, white and black ticked; white and gold.

???
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/4/2015 11:19:34 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Maybe it's the source dogs in the pedigree that are throwing some random colors? I recently got some colors that I didn't think should have shown up. lol
 Lycaons
Basic User

Basic User
9/4/2015 1:07:12 PM reply with quote send message to Lycaons Object to Post

posted by CirclingSky
okay fellow Canaan colorites....riddle me this.

I bred a white and gold to a white and gold ticked. I got 9 puppies. 6 were white and gold or white and gold liver pigment. one was white, liver and tan. 2 were white, black and tan!! How does that make sense genetically? Any thoughts?

-----
Last edited by CirclingSky on 9/3/2015 8:01:57 PM

Guessing here...

It looks like AtAt is what makes tricolor (whether it's called tricolor or white/black/tan or xxx)

So, both your white and golds are AtAy. Both are Bb (where you got the liver from). And the ticked dog is Tt.

I think! Or it could be something totally different!
 CirclingSky
Basic User

Basic User
9/4/2015 1:19:08 PM reply with quote send message to CirclingSky Object to Post

That make sense-I think the difference between tricolor and white, color and tan is the irish spotting gene (S/Sp/Si?), same as the difference between color and white and white and color.

My bigger question on the litter was how the black and liver showed through...because I thought gold was a dilute color caused by a recessive, so two gold based dogs should have all recessive dilute genes, so there should not be black in a phenotype. CLEARLY I am wrong! But that's part of the fun!

Thanks for the thoughts-and yes, you definitely do get some interesting pups out of the source dogs, since they are randomly assigned genes for that phenotype!
 Lany
Basic User

Basic User
9/4/2015 1:21:10 PM reply with quote send message to Lany Object to Post

posted by CirclingSky
Here's another puzzler...this is why I am addicted to this breed!

dad-black long coat
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?name=CirclingSky%20Dark%20Star

Mom white and sand ticked liver pigment
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?name=CirclingSky%20Golden%20Sand

9 puppies-white, black and tan ticked long coat; blackx2; cream long coatx2; gold long coat; white long coat, white and black ticked; white and gold.

???

(That last reply was from me, in my Kees kennel!)

Let's see what I guess for this one!

Mom carries long coat, but I don't think that gene is written down in our code.

Both are AtAy since you got three colors.

Your male is BB I would assume (since no liver pigment pups!)

Both are CCh since it appears you need that for sand and white.

Dad is Tt or tt since you got unticked. Mom is Tt since you got unticked.

Both are Ee and Kk (it looks like you need kk to be gold, ee to be white?)

Both are XSp (any other gene there). Not sure what this one does, but it appears you need SpSp to white and black.

Maybe???? Best I can do with looking at the code!

Lany
Basic User

Basic User
9/4/2015 1:31:32 PM reply with quote send message to Lany Object to Post

posted by CirclingSky
That make sense-I think the difference between tricolor and white, color and tan is the irish spotting gene (S/Sp/Si?), same as the difference between color and white and white and color.

My bigger question on the litter was how the black and liver showed through...because I thought gold was a dilute color caused by a recessive, so two gold based dogs should have all recessive dilute genes, so there should not be black in a phenotype. CLEARLY I am wrong! But that's part of the fun!

Thanks for the thoughts-and yes, you definitely do get some interesting pups out of the source dogs, since they are randomly assigned genes for that phenotype!

White and Gold AtAy BB CC tt EE kk SpSp
White and Gold AtAy BB CC tt Ee kk SpSp
White and Gold AtAy BB CCh tt EE kk SpSp
White and Gold AtAy BB CCh tt Ee kk SpSp
White and Gold AtAy Bb CC tt EE kk SpSp
White and Gold AtAy Bb CC tt Ee kk SpSp
White and Gold AtAy Bb CCh tt EE kk SpSp
White and Gold AtAy Bb CCh tt Ee kk SpSp
White and Gold AyAy BB CC tt EE kk SpSp
White and Gold AyAy BB CC tt Ee kk SpSp
White and Gold AyAy BB CCh tt EE kk SpSp
White and Gold AyAy BB CCh tt Ee kk SpSp
White and Gold AyAy Bb CC tt EE kk SpSp
White and Gold AyAy Bb CC tt Ee kk SpSp
White and Gold AyAy Bb CCh tt EE kk SpSp
White and Gold AyAy Bb CCh tt Ee kk SpSp

I copied and pasted the color code. There isn't a true dilute gene (at least not how it is in my Mudi kennel, where I know exactly how dilute works. We have a DD gene, where dd is the dilute). It appears that to be gold, you need to be kk and SpSp. And NOT AtAt or ChCH (AtAy and AyAy are both okay as are CC and CCh). But to get what you got, I would guess that your dogs are:

AtAy Bb CCh Tt Ee Kk SpSp

Not 100% sure, esp on the Sp gene, but I think since you only got white and color vs color and white, that's what it is.
 CS Astronomical
Basic User

Basic User
9/5/2015 6:43:02 AM reply with quote send message to CS Astronomical Object to Post

Thanks Beth-that does help...but both parents would have to be kk, so can only pass on k...I will look back at the code later today but I think you nailed the rest!
 Lany
Basic User

Basic User
9/5/2015 1:19:58 PM reply with quote send message to Lany Object to Post

LOL Yep, kk not Kk (I think I got it mixed up with the other pair!)

Looking at the codes for white liver and tan and white black and tan they all seem to be kk.
 CS Riverflow
Basic User

Basic User
9/5/2015 7:57:58 PM reply with quote send message to CS Riverflow Object to Post

I noticed that-also black and tan. But solid black cannot be kk. so it is interesting!!
 Eriseds
Basic User

Basic User
9/6/2015 9:04:05 PM reply with quote send message to Eriseds Object to Post

I'm looking for a solid sand male (adult or pup) and a solid gold female (again adult or pup). That's what I'm "missing" in this kennel (other than liver, which I figure will turn up at some point).

Let me know if you guys have either available
 CirclingSky
Basic User

Basic User
9/7/2015 6:59:57 AM reply with quote send message to CirclingSky Object to Post

Funny enough, I was just coming to post that I have solid white, sand and cream bitch pups in the mid 60 SOP range. I do have some golds that I can sell but they are liver pigmented. I will look and see if I have a sand male-I may only have one, but he should be up for stud soon.
 Eriseds
Basic User

Basic User
9/7/2015 1:35:05 PM reply with quote send message to Eriseds Object to Post

Let me know what gold bitch is available, even if liver pigmented. Easy enough to breed away from that down the line.
 CirclingSky
Basic User

Basic User
9/7/2015 7:39:23 PM reply with quote send message to CirclingSky Object to Post

I put them all up on offer, color is listed on the for sale page.
 NissaV
Basic User

Basic User
9/8/2015 7:13:54 AM reply with quote send message to NissaV Object to Post

I'm really impressed with how organized you folks are. I colorbred Canaan Dogs long ago in a different kennel, and I know it's not easy.

You guys are doing really awesome work here. happy :)

Replies in this thread : 110
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class