Search

.com Forum · Obedience Forum

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Don't enter too many dogs in any one class
 mournebrake
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/9/2015 5:04:52 AM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post   

We have a fantastic entry of 35 dogs in today's Novice A, which is great, however I'm concerned that kennels are entering all the dogs they have, whether obedience trained to 18's in first 5 exercises or not trained at all.

Firstly, there is little point in entering any dog in any class unless it's sessioned to 19 or 20 in Show Obedience AND to 18's in ALL exercises up to level you are competing in.

Secondly there is a optimum number of dogs any one kennel can 'handle' in any one day, and once you hit that your dogs won't qualify because the handler is overstretched, so limit it to your highest trained dogs and say 2 or 3 maximum dogs in any one class.

If anyone is confused by any element of obedience on SD there are experienced friendly players on here who will be happy to help you.
 Tanglebrook
Basic User

Basic User
5/9/2015 7:22:45 AM reply with quote send message to Tanglebrook Object to Post

Thanks so much for offering obedience help!

Are there any other restrictions on entering an obedience trial? Age, etc? I tried to enter one of my dogs just to see how it works (now I see she needs a few more sessions), but while it shows up as a show I can check off, it never actually enters her.
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
5/9/2015 7:29:30 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

IF I remember correctly -
You will NOT see Obedience Trial entries on the "My Entries" page

Go to the dog, Click on Show Results and then choose the Obedience 'tab'

I am new to obedience also and I thought I wasn't entering the dog, but I was - and didn't really figure that out until the show ran.

Again, I am new to obedience, so I may be missing something.
 Tanglebrook
Basic User

Basic User
5/9/2015 9:39:51 AM reply with quote send message to Tanglebrook Object to Post

posted by rhondacline
IF I remember correctly -
You will NOT see Obedience Trial entries on the "My Entries" page

Go to the dog, Click on Show Results and then choose the Obedience 'tab'

I am new to obedience also and I thought I wasn't entering the dog, but I was - and didn't really figure that out until the show ran.

Again, I am new to obedience, so I may be missing something.

Thank you!!! Looks like that's exactly what happened, she did get entered and thanks to this thread I now know what numbers to aim for so I can hopefully get her a qualifying score next time.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
5/9/2015 1:24:22 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

You can check your results by clicking through the link for results on this thread

www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=387275&recordnum=40

I try and post the results each day as soon after the show as I can.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
5/16/2015 6:58:06 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Please, please think carefully before entering untrained (first five exercises to 18's at least) dogs in Novice.

The class is full to brimming every day but the number of qualifiers is awful ie 1 dog Q today, the first for days.

What is the point of entering a dog day after day that isn't trained?

Yes we need more people entering obedience, but we need them to train their dogs before entering.

There are over 100 dogs entered in the up-coming Top Obedience Dog Show - doeas anyone know how this show will be judged? Is it simply another obedience show like every other one APART FROM THE FACT THAT THE ENTRY FEE IS $5 - Remember guys obedience shows are FREE to enter at the moment - but not this one!

There must be dozens of players literally throwing money away entering untrained dogs in this show.

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.