Search

.com Forum · Australian Forum

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : Questions about Australia
 SilentWings
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/23/2005 4:36:30 PM reply with quote send message to SilentWings Object to Post   

Hi everyone,

I live in the US, but I was asked to go to Sydney in July and play in a tennis tourney. I'm very interested in learning more about Australia, before I go. I know this sounds crazy, but I would like to know the simple things like, whats the weather like in July, Are there certain places in Sydney I HAVE to go see ! Stuff like that, how is your currency different from ours, if you know. happy :) Thanks for all your help, and I'm sorry for sounding so...well...you know.

Thanks,
Anni @
SilentWings
 truyank
Basic User

Basic User
1/24/2005 4:33:53 PM reply with quote send message to truyank Object to Post

Well, first of all...currency. It is running between 70 - 75 cents to the dollar which is pretty good for you (not so good for us).

Climate...well, July is Winter here and Sydney is one of the "wetter" capital cities so it will be cool and quite possibly wet.

Things to see...gosh....where do I start? Taronga Zoo, Featherdale Wildlife Park (if you can get there, it's a bit out of the city), the Opera House, the Harbour Bridge, Darling Harbour (there is an aquarium, exhibitions and good shopping there), Kings Cross is good for a giggle (but be careful - it's the red light district), the Blue Mountains are lovely if you're into nature. How's that for a start?

me__0021
Premium Member
Forum Moderator

Premium Member Forum Moderator
1/24/2005 11:19:15 PM reply with quote send message to me__0021 Object to Post

Ooh, and Bondi Beach - although seeing as it's Winter it probably will be to cold to go in!

Bondi Beach is the 2nd best Beach in Australia.

Jessica
(The Best Beach is on the Gold Coast at Surfers Paradise in Queensland! Where I live!!!)
 SilentWings
Basic User

Basic User
1/25/2005 11:47:30 AM reply with quote send message to SilentWings Object to Post

Awesome. I know my coach said we would be going to a wildlife park thing where we can pet and play with the Koala and Kangaroo ( which just seems like a dream come true !!)

Thanks guys/girls

Anni
 truyank
Basic User

Basic User
1/25/2005 4:37:49 PM reply with quote send message to truyank Object to Post

That sounds like Featherdale to me...lots of cuddles to be had there!

SilentWings
Basic User

Basic User
1/27/2005 10:47:46 PM reply with quote send message to SilentWings Object to Post

Thats just awesome !! Thanks !
 JSK
Basic User

Basic User
2/3/2005 5:31:25 AM reply with quote send message to JSK Object to Post

Not sure if it airs in the USA but if you are into Home and Away, it is filmed at Bondi Beach!

If you are really really really lucky you may even get to meet some of the cast!

Even if you aren't into nature the Blue mountains and 3 sisters (mountains) are still a definate must see.

Thanks

Jsk
 SilentWings
Basic User

Basic User
2/6/2005 2:31:18 PM reply with quote send message to SilentWings Object to Post

Thanks JSK !!
 Gremlin Airedale Terriers
Basic User

Basic User
4/2/2005 8:02:07 PM reply with quote send message to Gremlin Airedale Terriers Object to Post

Hi, I'm American. Quick Q: what's it like having Christmas in the summer? (If any of you celebrate Christmas, or- whatever!!!)
 Gremlin Airedale Terriers
Basic User

Basic User
4/2/2005 8:02:46 PM reply with quote send message to Gremlin Airedale Terriers Object to Post

Sorry for sounding so naive!!!
 origami_kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/2/2005 6:50:24 PM reply with quote send message to origami_kennels Object to Post

o.O We all celebrate Christmas. :P Well.. except those who are Jewish.. or.. whatever. And I've never been to America so I don't know how different it is, really... basically we have our tree up for about a month, all decorated... go to sleep on the 24th, wake up on the 25th with all the presents under it, open them all that morning, then go have lunch/dinners with families. In my family we go to my Grandma's house which is on the beach and eat prawns (That's shrimp. And no one calls them shrimp here) and cold meats and salad and stuff. A lot of families will have big barbeques, I suppose others do more traditional meals. happy :)

Also, in answer to the question about currency, too, ours is a lot prettier than the US bills. (And we call them notes!), they're plastic, and they're colourful, so you can't mistake one for another- whoo hoo!
Another fun thing about coming to Aus is trying to learn the lingo. Like "pash" and "thongs" (snerk), and prawns and stuff. wink ;)
 Silk Water Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2005 5:52:03 PM reply with quote send message to Silk Water Kennels Object to Post

Ive seen the 'three sisters' and omg it was a beatiful journey the whole wntire time! There is so many places you have to see..........lol, i used to live there but now am in qld

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
A conformation dog show is not a comparison of one dog to another but a comparison of each dog to a judge's mental image of the ideal breed type as outlined in the individual breed's breed standard.