Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Just started source breeding rare South African Boerboels and I have some questions for seasoned source breeders
 Navajo Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
2/25/2014 12:01:33 AM reply with quote send message to Navajo Kennels Object to Post   

Hi there. So I chose this breed because it is one of the rarer ones here on SD and I wanted to do something a little different. After checking out all of the current dogs for sale and the ones in the Top Kennels for this breed, I realized all but a few have a COI of at least 5.0 but some are as high as 12.00/13.00 but the average is about 9.00. I think its really sad and I would like to help better the breed if I can and maybe raise its popularity a bit.
I've never bred from source before, I've had a few kennels over the years but never a set plan. I have six source bitches and five source dogs. My goal is to have 0.00 COI in all dogs. I am not breeding for color, while I would like to have a good variation of color in the genes I don't think it should be a priority.
So, on to my questions.

1. How long has it taken you to breed good animals from source dogs?I mean if you are able to get on here pretty much every day. I know one fellow said it had taken him 7 years, and he wasn't even finished yet! The dogs has improved greatly but there were still other colors than blue in there and no dark blues. Is this normal? Has anyone else had any different experience?

2. Has anyone else attempted this with this breed?

3. I've been breeding based on SOP, and have been breeding animals with a close SOP together. I heard this was a good method, does anyone have a comments on this? Care to share your breeding strategy with me?

4 How do I keep dogs from getting inbred? I am keeping a detailed log of who is bred to who and a word doc, but I'm still afraid I might accidently overlap. How do I prevent this?
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
2/25/2014 8:18:49 AM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

I don't breed source dogs but after a while our will be very hard to have all 00.0 COI becausr there is a limited amount of dogs.
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/25/2014 8:25:19 AM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

I've been source breeding for over a year now, so I'll try to answer your questions.

How long has it taken you to breed good animals from source dogs?
How long it takes you, depends on how you breed your source dogs. If you breed source to source, it will take you several years. If you breed source to higher SOP, you can have them up in about a year. Source to high is what I do, and, while I've had some setbacks, because I accidentally FHed a certain color and had to go back to source, I got the first source-line dog up to the normal in 8 or 9 months.

The dogs has improved greatly but there were still other colors than blue in there and no dark blues. Is this normal? Has anyone else had any different experience?
I've seen source dogs have some crazy traits. And blues will show up unexpectedly and then disappear in the next generation. Had one born that was crappy otherwise but had an amazing forequarter (the most important trait in this breed)...as in, the best ever in the breed. However, even when she was paired to a dog with a high FQ himself, she didn't pass it on to her children (they were born with pretty poor FQs). Traits don't begin to stabilize until the 9th or 10th generation from source dogs and I still sometimes get a few surprises.

Has anyone else attempted this with this breed?
Not that I know of personally, but there probably has been at least one other person in the past.

I've been breeding based on SOP, and have been breeding animals with a close SOP together. I heard this was a good method, does anyone have a comments on this? Care to share your breeding strategy with me?
I've found that close SOPs together in regular SOP works well, but in source, it can be completely unpredictable...and a lot of times, the pups will be less than their parents. I'm not saying I never breed similar SOPs, but I never like the results. I've never just SOP bred in all the source projects I've gotten entangled in...it's always been a color breeding program. I mean, I try to breed to higher SOPs and always keep the the highest SOPs for the color out of all the litters.

4 How do I keep dogs from getting inbred? I am keeping a detailed log of who is bred to who and a word doc, but I'm still afraid I might accidently overlap. How do I prevent this?

When you go to breed a bitch to a stud, there will be a percentage that tells you how much the COI (the inbreeding) will be. You want to keep that COI below 15%....above and it will affect quality. It also makes the dog die younger, but that's not that important on the game. It can be easy to inbreed, if you get one stud that produces really well and have a bunch of his offspring...that's when COI starts going astronomically high...it's like shooting yourself in the foot. Since you're starting with source, though, that means it's easier to keep COI under control. It's when you start with dogs that already are from a particular line, and partially inbred, that you have problems. Now, not all inbreeding is bad. Some of my best litters have been half brother/half sister. Father/daughter, mother/son, and full siblings paired together will never be good. Even back when I started out with 3 dogs from a particular line, I didn't have COI problems...you just watch what you're breeding. It's possible to keep it under 15%, if you show just a tad of cautionwink ;)

I hope I answered your questions! Feel free to ask more, if you run into anything else wink ;).

Good luck!
Alexandria

Edited to clarify a few things and for spelling wink ;)

-----
Last edited by Laffy-Taffy Kennels on 2/25/2014 8:28:46 AM

-----
Last edited by Laffy-Taffy Kennels on 2/25/2014 8:30:50 AM
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/25/2014 8:25:59 AM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

Well, dang, I wrote a book up there...sorry! Hopefully you can get something out of it...

Alexandria
 KPOPK
Basic User

Basic User
2/25/2014 8:48:41 AM reply with quote send message to KPOPK Object to Post

posted by Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Well, dang, I wrote a book up there...sorry! Hopefully you can get something out of it...

Alexandria

Haha. It was a good explanation

BTW I think someone had a source breeding color project!
 Navajo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/25/2014 1:57:05 PM reply with quote send message to Navajo Kennels Object to Post

Yes thank you, Very helpful stuff!
 Caulfeilds Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/4/2014 10:54:52 PM reply with quote send message to Caulfeilds Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

7 years sounds right.
I started breeding Welsh Springers back in 2006, I think.

8 years ago.

I bred generation
0 to 0
1 to 1
2 to 2 and so on.
I am now at Generation 77 and the top show dogs are at Gen 89.
Nowhere near showing them but I still love it.
I have another breed that I'm showing and doing ok.

You have to have patience and another kennel to keep you happy showing and be a lifer, like I am....and that other person.

Edited to say: Oh, in terms to breeding these, my MO is breeding similar blues to similar blues. WSS need to have high qualities across the top so I go for that.

-----
Last edited by Caulfeilds Kennels on 3/4/2014 10:56:33 PM

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing