Search

.com Forum · Agility Forum

Replies in this thread : 1

Author Topic : WEAVE POLE ADVICE NEEDED
 bherbert2
Basic User

System.__ComObject
2/11/2014 11:51:06 AM reply with quote send message to bherbert2 Object to Post   

I am a month into weave pole training my 5 year old Border Collie. She is both food and toy driven. She learns very well with food. She is EXTREMELY anxious with toy in hand. With food she can complete 4 poles with 80% accuracy it just is not fast. She is much more toy driven but almost too toy driven because I cannot control her as much as I can with food. She is super fast but she has trouble taking her eyes off me with the toy in my hand. We can only do one set of poles and they have to be angled for her to make the entry by herself with toy. Success rate closer to 50% on just those two poles. Any suggestions on training with toy. I do try to calm her down right before I give the weave cue and she seems to focus a little better. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
 Element Malinois
Basic User

Basic User
3/5/2014 9:29:43 PM reply with quote send message to Element Malinois Object to Post

I'd just work through it if you can - don't reward bad performances but celebrate the good ones. if she messes up just mark it with a "whoops" (or whatever your NRM is) but if she gets it PARTY!

Is she grabbing the toy from your hand on the flat? work on focused heeling with a toy in your hand if you can so she can learn to work through toys being around.

Do you have any videos?

I prefer training with a toy then food for weaves - you can throw the toy and get your dog to power out of the weaves. I find food slows them down.

Replies in this thread : 1

Did you know?
An obedience trial is a dog sport in which a dog must perfectly execute a predefined set of tasks when directed to do so by his handler