Search

.com Forum · Agility Forum

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Agility Sheltie
 Mckinsey.josh
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/1/2013 9:22:24 AM reply with quote send message to Mckinsey.josh Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Hello I have a Female tri-colored sheltie about 2 years old who i was running through the first few classes of agility and she was running at full sprinting speed until another dog got lose and chased her through the tunnel in one class, and in the next another black dog got away from the handler and met her on top of the aframe and it probably wasnt the best experience for her.

Now she still does the course but she runs at 1/4 her max speed for everything and sometimes she'll just run around the jumps or stop before them. She still does the contacts and tunnels fine she's just slowed down tremendously.

I've tried toy and really smelly treat motivation, she's not toy motivated at all and she only runs slightly faster for the meat treats.She is also not the most social butterfly until she gets to know you. but she is by no means agressive.

If anyone has any tips on how to help her to speed up and get her confidence up to complete courses and be happier about it, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have 2 other sheltie males that run greatly and are currently competing so it's not too new to me, this ones just being a challange.

Thank you,
Josh & Bella

-----
Last edited by Mckinsey.josh on 7/1/2013 9:25:07 AM
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2013 3:29:45 AM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

Will she run around in the ring (not doing obstacles) at her full speed?

Usually what I would do is start by getting her running full out on flat then adding jumps with ultra low jump bar. Then adding tunnels. Then try contacts etc...

I would also spend a lot of time where she can do not wrong - aka she can never go off course what ever course she does becomes the right one.

If possible get some time in the agility ring by yourself.

Another technique is to keep things really really short. If you can only get her to run full out for a few seconds then only practice for a few seconds before you stop and sit down (wait 5-10 seconds) then run for a few seconds again.

grif,
 georgiapicton
Basic User

Basic User
1/29/2014 4:39:31 AM reply with quote send message to georgiapicton Object to Post

I am a member of the Petcover.com.au Shetland Sheepdog Association, Treasurer of the Northern Nevada Shetland Sheepdog Club, President of Happy Animals = Harmonious Agility Club, and a member of Quicksilver Agility Club and Truckee Meadows Dog Training Club. -

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.