Search

.com Forum · Redbone Coonhound

Replies in this thread : 0

Author Topic : Source Breeding
 Blessedborne
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/29/2007 3:23:18 PM reply with quote send message to Blessedborne Object to Post   

Ok, I realize that I'm probably not the most experience source breeder here. But I started a source line in Kismetborne three months ago and I've figured out a couple of things that might be useful in our new breed. Feel free to add your experiences to the list.

1. Gen 1s will be lower in percentage than Gen 0s. I think everyone's found this out by now, but I'm not sure that it's quite sunk in that it's normal. My understanding is that the generic "source dog"s in the pedigree all have the same percentage. That holds back the percentage that higher SOP parents can produce to an extent. However it's still true that the higher SOP the parents, the better chance you have of producing high SOP pups.

2. Be prepared to FH full litters. These early generations are wild and sometimes breedings that looked good just do not work out. By the same token, sometimes breedings turn out considerably better than anyone would guess. Just be prepared for both eventualities.

3. Evaluating litters. When I evaluate litters my method is to list the number and sex of each dog and then how many red, orange, yellow, green, blue stats it has. Making note of anything that's particularly good or that I'm looking for. I end up with something that looks like this:

5 B 5 1 2 2 0
4 B 1 1 2 6 0
3 D 2 1 3 3 1
2 D 4 2 2 1 1
1 D 3 1 1 5 0

This gives me a quick snapshot of what's in the litter and lets me see what I want to skipwall. In this case:

5 B 5 1 2 2 0
4 B 1 1 2 6 0 43/47.5
3 D 2 1 3 3 1 33/33
2 D 4 2 2 1 1
1 D 3 1 1 5 0 32/39

The colors don't tell the full story, but neither does the percentage. I find this method gives me a better picture when deciding what to FH.

Anyone else have any sage advice to share? happy :)

Replies in this thread : 0

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.