Replies in this thread : 61
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

D.L
Basic User

Basic User
9/17/2018 2:21:49 AM reply with quote send message to D.L Object to Post

posted by CrosstheLine
This is from a thread that I had with my other kennel, Straightedge Kennel, it is a template for staffie color genetics...

(taken from another post)I think I might have it...

The way this set of genetics works is that all dogs start off as Red. There are 3 different alleles to modify the coat color
D: no modification
dr: dilutes only the red coat (turning it fawn)
d: dilutes both red and black coat color (fawn with blue)

The mask and brindling (solid black) genes work same as before. And like before solid black is dominant over red (masking gene), but a homozygous dd will turn black blue (but drdr or drd will do nothing to black).

So the color combos available (and the number of genetic combinations that will give you that color) are:

Red---------------------------------3
Red with black mask------------6
red brindle--------------------------6
red brindle with black mask---12

Total red---------------------27

Fawn--------------------------------2
Fawn with black mask----------4
Fawn brindle----------------------4
Fawn brindle with black mask--8

Total fawn--------------------18

Fawn bluie------------------------1
Fawn bluie with blue mask----2
Blue brindle------------------------2
Blue brindle with blue mask---4
Blue---------------------------------9

Total Fawn Bluie/Blue---------18

Total Black-----------------------45
(includes black brindle and black with black mask)

Then the white markings are a masking gene so they are really easy to put in over the color gene (because the dilution gene doesnt affect the white).
In total there are 108 different combinations with Red being dominant over fawn (and fawn bluie) and solid black (brindle?) being dominant over red (but black will turn to blue with the dilution gene).
So you could never get a black or brindle dog from any double solid red or fawn (or fawn bluie) breeding.
You need at least one blue or black dog in a breeding to get solid blue or black.
And red can be a fawn carrier, fawn can't be a red carrier. Black can carry either red or fawn.

Let me know what you think and I'll post the list of genetic codes for each color. We also don't need to use the term "fawn bluie" It's just how I distinguish a diluted red and black color. Fawn bluies will never have a black mask. Blue brindles are actually fawn bluie brindles, but most people know them as blue brindles.
Please remember that most of these genetics are made up (using as much know facts as possible). What I am trying to do is make a simplified genetic code that follows real life as closely as possible,ie. in real life if you breed two fawns can you ever get a black dog?
But this is in now way "true" genetics.

Straightedge Kennel (end of other post)

This is what I came up with in my other kennel for Staffie Bulls. I know there are some color names that won't do for Cane Corsos, but "fawn bluie" is basically a fawn dog with blue markings (brindling or mask).
The one problem with making red a recessive trait to black is it is very easy to loose red all together.
The fawn bluie could be fawn and fawn with blue mask.
Let me know what you think

CrosstheLine

Replies in this thread : 61
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.