Search

.com Forum · Norwegian Elkhound

Replies in this thread : 0

Author Topic : Is A Norwegian Elkhound Right For Me?
 krista_the_pixie
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/17/2009 10:40:51 AM reply with quote send message to krista_the_pixie Object to Post   

I will be getting a puppy this spring. How can I tell if a Norwegian elkhound is the right dog for me? I recognize that many of the following requirements and preferences are behavioral and will come with good training. However, I would like to know if the Norwegian elkhound possesses the right temperament and physical characteristics to be a good fit for me.

I would like a dog with a "wolfish" (or otherwise rather tough and handsome) appearance, that is active and energetic, with a courageous and adventurous temperament. I'd like a dog that is not too large so that it does not require access to a large yard. I live in the city, and have a rather small yard. Weekday exercise is likely to consist of walks around the neighborhood or the city park. If my dog becomes well trained enough, playing fetch or other games off- leash would be ideal. I recognize that this is unfortunate, and would much prefer living in the country with a large expanse of forest for me and my dog to romp in. This could be the case in the future, but for now, my own love of nature must also be tempered by the necessity of living in the city.

On WEEKENDS, however, I would like a dog I could take hiking, swimming, dog camping, and possibly to festivals such as medieval faires (where it would have to behave itself around strangers and other dogs). I want to do many things with my dog and would not like a breed that tires easily or who doesn't enjoy rugged adventuresome activity. I am looking for a breed that enjoys the outdoors and has stamina and is keen to spend all the time it can outside. I would like a dog which is a good activity partner and exercise partner.

I would prefer a dog with watchdog and protective qualities rather than one with a jolly face- licking silly temperament. I also would prefer a dog which is intelligent and noble. I would be willing to accept stubbornness and some difficulties in training. I value loyalty and strength of character, and the idea of having a trusty one- person dog who is fiercely loyal and reliable appeals to me. However, because I wish to take my dog actively out in the world where there will be other dogs and people, I would want to ensure that my dog would never be aggressive or overly feisty in those situations.

As I have three cats in my home, I would require a dog that could be trained not to harm my cats. My cats can hold their own in most situations. My boyfriend will also be getting a French bulldog puppy at around the same time as I might be getting mine, so I would like a dog who is not going to torment his much smaller and more inactive pet.

So, what do you think? Is the Norwegian elkhound a suitable breed for me? Thank you for your feedback!

Replies in this thread : 0

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.