Search

.com Forum · Chow Chow

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : RIP Nikki
 Starlites Stars
Basic User

System.__ComObject
2/12/2009 12:16:03 AM reply with quote send message to Starlites Stars Object to Post   

It is with a broken heart that I let you all know that our beloved dog Nikki passed over the Rainbow Bridge Sunday afternoon, with the help of one of the local vets, surrounded by all of her family members. And a lot of tears.

Nikki was originally a foster we were caring for thru Chow Rescue, who we adopted back in 2001. She's always been gentle with the children, including guarding not only Danny when he was born, but my sisters oldest child as well when she used to watch the kids during the day. Nikki would lay on the floor next to the babies & put herself between the babies & other people. But she would let the Mommies go to the babies. happy :)
Danny & Jo-Jo (my niece) learned to stand up by holding onto handfuls of fur. (Nikki learned to love childgates so she could get a break away from the little ones when needed.)
Danny (when he was very little) was known to take Milkbones right back out of her mouth after giving them to her, and taking a nibble himself, then putting it back in her mouth. She wouldn't get upset in the least.

She helped care for other fosters, got along with our cats, and was extremely mild mannered. She was a terror to opossums, raccoons, chipmunks, mice & moles who ventured into the yard, but oddly, didn't mind squirrels or rabbits. (We even had a rabbit nest with babies in the backyard last spring & she left it alone.)

While we knew this day was coming, it is still so hard to not have her here laying beside me as she would every night when I was on the computer. I find myself listening for her soft bark to be let in.

She had been arthritic for over a year, and often jogged along barely touching one of her back legs down due to the stiffness. She had been completely deaf for the past year, and her cataracts were getting worse.
Even with all of those, she still played, and laughed, ears up, mouth wide open, purple tongue hanging out, front paws down, tail up & wagging, head cocked to one side. That big doggie grin. wink :)

She had a grand mal seizure back in July, but nothing since then that we were aware of.
Friday night she had a mild one, and then early Sunday morning my husband woke up hearing her having another, then woke me up. This one, while still mild, had lasting effects. It's possible a stroke was also involved. So it was time to let her go.

While we don't know for sure how old she was, we know that she had a wonderful 8 years with us, and will be truly & sorely missed.

Starlite *
 Birchbay
Basic User

Basic User
2/14/2009 5:04:56 PM reply with quote send message to Birchbay Object to Post

So sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. It's amazing how much they can affect your life both when they are with you and then when they die.

Birchbay
 Charleys Chow Chowz
Basic User

Basic User
3/6/2009 5:08:49 PM reply with quote send message to Charleys Chow Chowz Object to Post

Sorry to hear about your dgos loss i hope another dog comes to you one day hopefully a dog like nikki its very strange how they can change your life apperence isnt it well im sorry to hear about nikki

Charleys Chow Chowzhappy :)

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
In multi-breed and all-breed shows, the winners of all breeds within the kennel club's breed Groups then compete for Group placements.