Search

.com Forum · Chow Chow

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Breeding for a higher SOP
 S. B. G. Chow Chows
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/28/2009 1:34:36 PM reply with quote send message to S. B. G. Chow Chows Object to Post   

Well what I have noticed before they change this thing about breeding dogs. Royal Meados told me what she did was that she line bred her dogs to obtain higher SOPs. Well I took her adviceand it worked.

Then after it had change line breeding sucks. I never (no exaggeration) had risen above the parents. However I had noticed if I had out crossed my dogs their SOPs increased at a rapid pace.

Did any others experienced this.

Shane of SBG Chow Chows
 Starlites Stars
Basic User

Basic User
3/30/2009 11:37:09 AM reply with quote send message to Starlites Stars Object to Post

Sorry - bumped the enter button before I was done typing!
 Starlites Stars
Basic User

Basic User
3/30/2009 11:40:44 AM reply with quote send message to Starlites Stars Object to Post

I've seen it work with line breeding, and without. Of course, with line breeding, while it can help to lock in those good traits, it can also backfire & lock in bad ones. You can't keep doing it for generation after generation.
I'm still working on colors & coats, and while I've done some line breeding to get those traits locked in, I'm also trying to keep the SOP's down as well.
I'm just about to the point where all 14 parents/grand, great grand that show in the immediate lineage are rough coats. My stats range from the 50-s to the 70-s mostly. So now, it's a slow process of building the stats up!

I haven't seen anyone with rough studs up for breeding, so I've had to in line breed. And so far, so good! happy :)

Happy Showing! (And breeding!)
Starlite *

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
In multi-breed and all-breed shows, the winners of all breeds within the kennel club's breed Groups then compete for Group placements.