.com Forum · Bouvier des Flandres

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : Source Breeding
 Snorgss
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/2/2011 3:39:33 AM reply with quote send message to Snorgss Object to Post   

Hi guys,

Hopefully some of you come in here, as this thread is dead but I really need some help.
I am wanting to do a source breeding project to bring back colour into Bouvier's. I am thinking Black must be dead or very nearly dead so I would be wanting to bring back this.
How hard would this be? Would it require much work?
Any suggestions is much appreciated, help is always wanted happy :)
 ESAN.
Basic User

Basic User
1/2/2011 8:40:14 AM reply with quote send message to ESAN. Object to Post

You don't really have to do source breeding for colour. Yes, indeed, there are no show-quality blacks yet, but you would have to do a lot of work starting with a sourcie. You can breed to the black carriers (who have one black parent) that are out there, and that are just a few generations away to reaching show-quality.
This black bitch, for example,that I keep as a brood:
www.showdog.com/users/dog_info.aspx?id=10131150
Form her litter I kept a boy and a girl. The next time I plan breeding her to ESAN Pepperini (pepper & salt) and hopefully obtain black puppies. If not I will just breed those ones with the ones she already produced.
Anyway, no need to breed to sourcies, just search thoroughly for studs with one black parents and then breed wisely wink ;)
 Snorgss
Basic User

Basic User
1/2/2011 1:45:17 PM reply with quote send message to Snorgss Object to Post

Thanks for your reply,

So you suggest getting a Bouvier which is not black but has come out of a black parent and then breeding them to a black?
I still do not know the genetics well yet :P
 ESAN.
Basic User

Basic User
1/2/2011 4:45:40 PM reply with quote send message to ESAN. Object to Post

I just checked the stud list and there is a black stud: Orton Leo. Breed to him, choose the best offspring (not regarding the color) and then cross them to another bouv (who has a black parent) and hopefully black will emerge. It's just about linebreeding the blacks with some good quality dogs to get dome quality blacks.
 Snorgss
Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2011 8:12:55 PM reply with quote send message to Snorgss Object to Post

Thanks,

happy :) I was thinking of doing that but the main reason I wanted to source breed is I find our gene pool isn't that big so it would be good to widen it with more blacks and just more dogs.

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.