.com Forum · Canadian Forum

Replies in this thread : 28
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Moving to Canada- Questions
 Welsh Corgi Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/29/2012 11:56:21 AM reply with quote send message to Welsh Corgi Kennels Object to Post   

So in the future, I will be moving to Canada Hopefully, but I had a few questions ferst.

Is there any major changes from the US to Canada? and Are there important laws that I should know about? I tried googling all of this but I could not find anything.
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
5/31/2012 1:46:21 AM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Start with googling taxes, health insurance, very different. "canada vs us" should give you good results, also add in taxes and health to those words, and other things you might think of.

Health care, the gist of what I know (maybe kinda inaccurate) is they'll pay everything, but it might take forever to be able to get to see a Dr as they're so backlogged (if it's serious, you're in trouble!). With the US you can get in asap to a Dr but insurance hates paying.
 Welsh Corgi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/31/2012 9:24:01 AM reply with quote send message to Welsh Corgi Kennels Object to Post

woah big difference :/ you think thats all the time? (and thankyou, I'll google all of those)
 Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/22/2012 1:13:50 AM reply with quote send message to Dreisaiah Hundehutte Object to Post

Not allowed to sing the American anthem and make sure you bring a light jacket!
 Welsh Corgi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/22/2012 8:25:57 PM reply with quote send message to Welsh Corgi Kennels Object to Post

posted by Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Not allowed to sing the American anthem and make sure you bring a light jacket!
I'm sorry but that made me giggle LOL
 TNT Cessnock Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2012 12:46:02 PM reply with quote send message to TNT Cessnock Kennels Object to Post

Where in Canada are you moving? There are a LOT of differences between each of the provinces.
 Welsh Corgi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2012 1:57:37 PM reply with quote send message to Welsh Corgi Kennels Object to Post

I'm not exactly sure yet, like I told Reina I have a high interest with Quebec; BUT I still need to do a lot of research on each one.
 TNT Cessnock Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2012 4:25:48 PM reply with quote send message to TNT Cessnock Kennels Object to Post

Do you speak french? What do you want out of where you live? What do you do in the way of sports and recreation? That could help you in where you should live.
 TNT Cessnock Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2012 4:29:59 PM reply with quote send message to TNT Cessnock Kennels Object to Post

Also, what kind of weather do you like? Can you handle/enjoy extreme cold or heat? Do you prefer winter cold and sunny, snowy, mild and rainy?
 Welsh Corgi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2012 4:45:02 PM reply with quote send message to Welsh Corgi Kennels Object to Post

I do speak French, but not like it's my first language. I'm most likely not keeping french into college, so I will probably forget a lot of what I know at this moment

I can't live in extreme cold, it could kill me.

I don't want extreme hot either (a little cool, a bit hot is fine. but the cold factor is a biggy obviously. lol)

TNT Cessnock Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2012 5:20:38 PM reply with quote send message to TNT Cessnock Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

The majority of Quebec is still french speaking.

I would DEFINITELY do research then. The only place in Canada without snowy and cold winters and hot summers is the Lower Mainland, Fraser Valley and Vancouver Island in BC. That's where I live (Fraser Valley). I have lived in Calgary and spent time in Manitoba and Ontario and it gets C-O-L-D on the prairies, up north and out east.
 Welsh Corgi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2012 5:50:30 PM reply with quote send message to Welsh Corgi Kennels Object to Post

Ah, I knew Canada is cold, but I am willing to take that risk.

I'm going to do research right now on the weather, ect
 TNT Cessnock Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2012 8:32:40 PM reply with quote send message to TNT Cessnock Kennels Object to Post

Vancouver isn't happy :)

Our average winter temperature is about 3-6 degrees. We get below 0 only a few days a year usually and MIGHT get a week of snow, and it's never more than a couple of inches.
 Welsh Corgi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2012 8:42:51 PM reply with quote send message to Welsh Corgi Kennels Object to Post

I'll look more into Vancouver then happy :) (hope I spelt that right.. -.-' )

Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/23/2012 11:37:59 PM reply with quote send message to Dreisaiah Hundehutte Object to Post

I was born in Edmonton and lived in Saskatchewan for a year so I grew up with the sort of weather that is muggy and warm in the summer months (being late June, July, August), leaves starting to change end of August and lots falling by the time school starts in September, first snow often being in October and done melting late April, sometimes into May, and then taking a month or two to warm back up again. The prairie winters are usually 20 below or more. The coldest I've ever been in was -50°C which is enough to get frostbite in two minutes unless you dress up like an Eskimo, but that doesn't happen a lot. Saskatchewan winters are often 30-40° below though in the "dead" of winter. LOTS of snow, shoveling, but also lots of tobogganing and hot chocolate. If you grow up with it, it's just something you get used to. It would take some time to get used to if you didn't, though.

I now live in the Interior of BC, about 4 hours east of Vancouver, 4 hours from the Washington border. The climate difference is pretty intense from here compared to the coast. Here is considered a semi-arid desert. Temperatures in summer go from 30-40°C. The past couple of Christmases have been snow-less, not snowing until January and then, still only a foot or so, and melting in about March. By the time April comes, some grass is already green. The coldest I've been in here since I moved in 2006 was probably -20°C which is considered horribly cold for this area.

In Vancouver, everything is much more mild. There isn't extreme heat and there isn't extreme cold. There's obviously lots of rain but times without it too. It's lush and green at the coast with not very much snow during the winter, generally.

Van city is gorgeous. You can have the mountains, beautiful city, and ocean all in one place and it's very close to the States. Lots of outlets for fine art, business, finance, etc. And you'd only have to go a few hours to come visit me! happy :) Hehe!

TNT Cessnock Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/24/2012 9:56:14 AM reply with quote send message to TNT Cessnock Kennels Object to Post

That is a GREAT description! Much better than I put it happy :)
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
11/7/2012 9:54:05 AM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

posted by Welsh Corgi Kennels
I'm not exactly sure yet, like I told Reina I have a high interest with Quebec; BUT I still need to do a lot of research on each one.
Most jobs in Quebec require you to be fluent in French and everywhere except Montreal the "normal" language is French.

If you want to live in a city (>250,000 people) you'll be looking at provincial capitals, Southern Ontario, or Montreal. If you want to live rurally there is tons of places for that just bring a heavy winter coat.

The mildest winters are around Vancouver (but thanks to that housing prices are INSANE) - rarely below 0 celcius
next is around Toronto which is usually -10 C and a few days a year -20 C. Prairies (Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan) are about 10 C colder, same for most of Quebec I think. Maritimes are about the same temperature as Toronto but get TONS of snow. Most of Canada summers (June-Sept) are 20-30 C.

Healthcare is very different, for one most necessary procedures are free (paid for by the gov't) and most children's preventative care is paid for as well. Depending on the area there may be a shortage of family doctors (usually rural or semi-rural areas) also depending on the severity of the condition you may have to wait. However things needing urgent care are usually dealt with quickly.

Culturally, Canada is midway between the USA and Europe with Alberta more like the USA and Quebec more like Europe.

Economically Canada is more stable than most of the West since it is based on resource extraction and consequently banking is more conservative/risk-adverse so starting up a new business can be harder. But unions are much more powerful in Canada than the USA so typically you will get more sick leave/vacation and better benefits/pay. However, top earning jobs are less common (aka better middle class but fewer millionaires).

Politically Canada is more left-wing than the USA, with more emphasis on common good and less on individual freedom. Also Multiculturalism is generally accepted as a good thing in Canada with the view being that we are a mosaic as apposed to the USA melting pot.

Finally, you will find that the USA is rare referred to as "America" and its people are referred to as "American" usually only if you are being disparaging/insulting/condecending about it in common language. Rather it is "The US" or "The States" and its people are "from the US".

grif,
 Welsh Corgi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/10/2012 12:41:09 PM reply with quote send message to Welsh Corgi Kennels Object to Post

Thanks guys,

Regarding doctors/emergency..

Would getting medicine be an emergency? I know I depend on my medicine every day, If I don't take it everyday my body would fail in only a few days.

So, my question is, is it easy to get refills for things like that? :/ Usually once a year..but just making sure.

TNT Cessnock Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/10/2012 1:09:34 PM reply with quote send message to TNT Cessnock Kennels Object to Post

Yes, it's easy to get refills. The difficult part would be if it's a controlled substance you have to go back to the dr, they can't do it over the phone. However, if it's only once a year than that wouldn't be an issue at all. You go to a walk in clinic you can get it the same day. If you make an appointment with your family dr, you may have to wait a couple of days but you'll know in advance.
 Welshen
Basic User

Basic User
11/10/2012 1:12:10 PM reply with quote send message to Welshen Object to Post

Okay, thanks for the quick response happy :)
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
11/10/2012 4:30:59 PM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

posted by Welsh Corgi Kennels
Thanks guys,

Regarding doctors/emergency..

Would getting medicine be an emergency? I know I depend on my medicine every day, If I don't take it everyday my body would fail in only a few days.

So, my question is, is it easy to get refills for things like that? :/ Usually once a year..but just making sure.

Pharmacies are run privately but depending on the drug part or all of the cost would be covered by gov't health insurance, so refill would be no different from USA. If you need to renew a prescription you'd either have to go to a walk in clinic or your family doctor. Family doctor you might have to wait a few days for an appointment, walk-in clinic you might have to wait a few hours once you get there to see a doctor depending on when you go but no appointment needed.

grif,

Replies in this thread : 28
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
A specialty show is a dog show which reviews a single breed, unlike other dog shows, particularly conformation shows, which are generally referred to as "all-breed" because they are open to all breeds recognized by the sponsoring kennel club.