Search

.com Forum · Agility Forum

Replies in this thread : 53
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

HeatherRose
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/25/2012 12:40:39 PM reply with quote send message to HeatherRose Object to Post

Stamina and Speed would be wonderful additions! I'm looking forward to it. I love showdog.com because you make efforts to improve your already top notch simulation with the input of the showdog enthusiast in mind. Wonderful!
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
4/25/2012 5:01:42 PM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

posted by GaylanStudio1

The theory behind this posting is that if you define as many of the elements that will be involved, when it comes to programming the events, by just changing the “critical” values, one program could possibly accommodate all and any event you could envision. How it would work in practice, not sure. I tend to get carried away with elaborate solutions sometimes (LOL). Sorry for that.

Problem is to fully model all the possible events you have to get something as complicated as the real world. If we want to encompass all events lets start with the broadest set of events first to cover as many breeds as possible.
Breed specific (I would restrict to one per breed):
Terriers - Earthdog
sight hounds - coursing
scent hounds - Trailing
herding dogs - herding
nordic dogs - sledding
sporting dogs - pointing, flushing, retrieving (respectively)
working dogs - guarding/Protection
Can anyone think of something for toys & non-sporting?

All breeds:
Agility
Flyball
Obedience
Tracking
Dockdogs
DiscDogs
Conformation
weight pull
high jump

Traits:
Instinct : affects the respective breed specific activity only
Speed (sprinting speed): Agility, Flyball, coursing, earthdog, Herding, dockdogs, high jump
Stamina (long distance speed): Herding, sledding, pointing, flushing, retrieving, trailing, weight pull
Drive (intensity/passion): earthdog, herding, agility, flyball, discdogs, guarding/protection, weight pull, pointing
Senses
- Vision: Herding, coursing, discdog, retrieving, guarding, earthdog, Agility
- Scent: tracking, trailing, flushing, earthdog, pointing, retrieving
- Hearing: sledding, pointing, guarding
Swimming: retrieving, dockdogs
Trainability/Obedience (good at recieving direction): Obedience, Agility, herding, discdog, retrieving
Independence (good at solving problems by themselves): herding, guarding/protection, flyball, dockdogs, coursing, sledding, trailing, earthdogs
Flexibility: herding, agility, earthdogs, discdogs, high jump
Strength: sledding, weightpull, protection/guarding, dockdogs, high jump
 Phelkirk
Basic User

Basic User
4/27/2012 10:50:11 PM reply with quote send message to Phelkirk Object to Post

I do agility in real life and any well put together can do agility .
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
4/27/2012 10:53:57 PM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

There's a lot more to agility than structure of the dog. There's how the dog was trained (for better or worse), and temperament of the dog (a fraidy cat or slug won't cut it). I'd rather have a dog with poor structure and the heart to do agility than a good structured dog that could care less.
 Anchor Paws Canines
Basic User

Basic User
6/4/2012 9:01:51 AM reply with quote send message to Anchor Paws Canines Object to Post

When will this be added? Agility's not as much about stamina, more speed and accuracy. Maybe focus, or is that too close too obedience? Also, don't know about flexibility....but this is exciting!
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/6/2012 6:13:18 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by ShootForTheMoon

I understand that earning other titles would indicate a well rounded dog, and I can see why people would like to add more events. However, what draws me to this game is the fact that it's main focus is conformation. There is no other game out there that creates this kind of competition in conformation. That is why I play this game.

In fact, when I played games with multiple field trial options, I did not enjoy them as much. Users were stretched too thin between events, and having two different sets of traits was frustrating and annoying. Maybe it was the way those games presented the events.

My question is how would you introduce those events without taking away from the conformation aspect of the game? If you can do that, I'm all for it.

~ShootForTheMoon

It would probably be introduced the same way as obedience was, I imagine. Is obedience affecting the conformation aspect of the game? For me it's not. There are kennels that only focus on the conformation aspect of this game and I think after any addition that will be coming to showdog, there will still be kennels focusing solely on the conformation aspect of the game. Yeah, there may be some new genetically inherited traits added, but the pure conformation people are still going to breed for a conformation "winning" dog, whereas the performance kennels will most likely focus on breeding dogs for the purpose of improving those performance traits, even if it means the dog might not win in the conformation ring. (Kind of like in real life how, field trial champions might not necessarily be competitive in the conformation ring.) Well, at least that's how I'm interpreting this...i.e. certain lines becoming excellent performance lines or excellent conformation lines, but weaker in the other area...and then, of course, there could be dual champions too...
 Aerostar Afghans
Basic User

Basic User
6/6/2012 8:31:39 PM reply with quote send message to Aerostar Afghans Object to Post

An easy way to include teeter and dog walk in teh training is just call what is now called A frame "contacts". This includes them all, and they require similar traits to accomplish. I think if you get too detailed or technical, it will never get done.
 tiny planes
Basic User

Basic User
7/24/2016 10:08:09 PM reply with quote send message to tiny planes Object to Post

Thank you for giving posts and articles were very amazing. I really liked as a part of the article. With a nice and interesting topics.
my site www.tiny-planes.com
and www.tinytanksunblocked.com
 barbars kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2016 8:55:34 AM reply with quote send message to barbars kennel Object to Post

I think this is fantastic!
Really looking forward to doing more with my dogs!
 Gypsy Fires Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2016 3:42:30 PM reply with quote send message to Gypsy Fires Kennels Object to Post

posted by barbars kennel
I think this is fantastic!
Really looking forward to doing more with my dogs!

This thread is from 5 years ago. I dont know what happened with it, but I dont think its going forward.
 KonaBlechen
Basic User

Basic User
7/28/2016 11:34:02 PM reply with quote send message to KonaBlechen Object to Post

Will there be Dock Diving??? Will there be better handlers in agility than others? Will the dogs react better to the command of a trainer or their owner? Will working dogs have an advantage as is inherent in real life??
 Gypsy Fires Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/29/2016 12:18:43 AM reply with quote send message to Gypsy Fires Kennels Object to Post

posted by KonaBlechen
Will there be Dock Diving??? Will there be better handlers in agility than others? Will the dogs react better to the command of a trainer or their owner? Will working dogs have an advantage as is inherent in real life??
This thread is from 5 years ago. I dont know what happened with it, but I dont think its going forward so this is all a moot point.
 Dewey Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/30/2016 8:04:05 PM reply with quote send message to Dewey Kennel Object to Post

I wish this had gone forward... Agility, Schutzhund, sledding, herding, lure coarsing...Other games have these things...I love this game, but it has lots of potential. Why isn't being used?

Replies in this thread : 53
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.