Search

.com Forum · Herding Breeds

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : What type of Flea Meds for Rough Collie?
 newcollieowner
Basic User

System.__ComObject
2/16/2011 3:05:19 PM reply with quote send message to newcollieowner Object to Post   

On Feb 4,2011 I bought a pet AKC tri-Rough Collie puppy. I'm just so worried about what flea medicine to use on her. I am getting Interceptor for heartworm but cannot decide on flea medicine. I was thinking Frontline. Anyone have suggestions?
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
2/16/2011 3:14:54 PM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

I've never had much luck with frontline, but have used Advantage and ProMeris with great results. ProMeris smells terrible though and that smell lasts a while.
 newcollieowner
Basic User

Basic User
2/16/2011 4:31:18 PM reply with quote send message to newcollieowner Object to Post

Thanks. I was leaning toward advantage or frontline. You gotta watch it with Collies.
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
2/16/2011 8:16:41 PM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

I think the only issue with collies is ivermectin sensitivity. There's a test for that: www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/index.aspx (since I'd recently run across it).

Fleas are partially resistant to Frontline in a lot of areas, so can be a waste of money.

Advantage makes my dogs stink badly for some reason.

I'm going to try the Comfortis pill, does anyone have any comments on that? Unfortunately our main trialing location seems to have resident fleas. I used to only get fleas once a year, now I get them everytime I go there. sad :( Don't want to be dosing my dog monthly with very expensive chemicals.
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
2/16/2011 9:02:24 PM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

I've never tried Comfortis, but it was one I was considering for a while. The side effects scare me.. Vomiting, twisted stomachs, and death..
 fudi2011
Basic User

Basic User
5/12/2011 12:40:19 AM reply with quote send message to fudi2011 Object to Post

I have an aussie that uses comfortis, and my parents mutts use comfortis and we've never had a problem. The fleas in coastal Texas are horrible, so comfortis amazed us when the dogs went a whole month with no fleas on it!
 Familys Best
Basic User

Basic User
5/12/2011 7:46:50 PM reply with quote send message to Familys Best Object to Post

I work at a vet and we sell/use comfortis alot. There r a few side effects but in the 3 yrs I have worked there I have yet to see any kind of side effects. Hope you find a good one that works for you and your new dog!

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
In multi-breed and all-breed shows, the winners of all breeds within the kennel club's breed Groups then compete for Group placements.