Search

.com Forum · Obedience Forum

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : RL Obedience Question
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/9/2010 10:54:05 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post   

I realize that each dog will learn differently, but I was wondering how long it took to teach your dog to retrieve a dumbell, starting from scratch?

It's been a couple of weeks since I started teaching my dog to hold the dumbell. He doesn't "take it" on command yet, but once it's in his mouth, he'll keep it there more or less (he still mouths it a bit). I also haven't tried getting him to walk with a dumbell yet, because I feel we need more work on just holding it (and of course "Take It!"wink ;)
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
9/9/2010 8:33:26 PM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

Interestingly, nowhere in AKC obedience does the dog need to take the dumbell from your hand. Just has to fetch it, then hold it till you take it. I realized this finally when I had a dog that would NOT take it (and I would not do the ear pinch), but she'd happily fetch/hold it.

I'd work on the thrill of fetching first.
 meadow sweet
Basic User

Basic User
9/10/2010 3:06:47 PM reply with quote send message to meadow sweet Object to Post

I just started seriously training for open...mine wont "take" a dumbell....she will happily fetch it( our command is ""kill it"wink ;) kinda fun for a little sheltie.

my prob is ret over highjump.

my other sheltie brings it back by the bell...if you read the obedience rules...it does not state that the dog must hold by the bar...I challanged a judge and won!

I wouldn't worry about not "taking it". I work on the retrieve.

Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/10/2010 7:42:06 PM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

I think I will start working on the retrieve, but may still casually work on the take it, ONLY because that's what they're wanting me to do in my obedience class.

I think there must be a school of thought that goes something like this: teach dog to "take it", then hold it, then walk while holding it, then take if from the ground, and finally a full retrieve. I say this, because I recently found an old "Training for Open Obedience" book at the used book store and that is pretty much how they tell you to teach it. (

Anyways, I'm going to start working on the retrieve itself, because I think it's going to take a bit of work with my dog, since he's never consistantly brought toys/balls back when we play.
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
9/10/2010 8:15:13 PM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

Yep, that's how they all do it, take it hold it fetch it. But it's so much more fun for the dog to have fun with the retrieving (barring dogs that don't like retrieving!). The funner you make it for them, the better off you are.

And there's no reason to do what the obed class says. I long ago started telling instructors what I would or wouldn't do. They accepted my knowledge that I knew what was best for my dog and personal training techniques.
 ShowDog1
Basic User

Basic User
9/21/2010 5:35:52 PM reply with quote send message to ShowDog1 Object to Post

What breed are you working with?
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/21/2010 9:56:29 PM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I have a pointer. He still doesn't "Take It", but he will hold the dumbell if I put it in his mouth and while walking a bit now (i.e. we can do a figure 8 sometimes without dropping), but I wouldn't call it a reliable hold for sure. We haven't worked on retrieving the dumbell much yet, but the times we have (and he's brought it back) I've made him hold it before using the "Out" command to give it to me. Our practice retrieves are still very informal right now.

Things are slowly coming along, but we're in no hurry. We still have to get our third leg in Novice, which hopefully we'll get at the show on October 30th. From there, we'll probably stick to rally for a while until we're ready for open.

Pete is my first dog I've ever trained for obedience so we're both learning tons and I'm so proud of him! He just turned 2 in August, so he's still pretty young too.

Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/29/2010 9:36:04 PM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

Well, I was talking with one of the trainers tonight about the whole "Take It" issue and how Pete still doesn't take the dumbell from me and mentioned how it wasn't something I was going to have to do in Open anyways. Well, I learned tonight that if you do the Graduate Novice (an optional titling class), that the dog does indeed have to take the dumbell from you for the dumbell recall. I looked it up in the rulebook tonight and sure enough, it was there. So, I think that's what my trainers are working us toward in preparation for the Open class (which is going to be a while for us!)
 meadow sweet
Basic User

Basic User
1/4/2011 12:56:08 AM reply with quote send message to meadow sweet Object to Post

I have found very few shows offeringthe new optional title classes...Beg Nov, Grad Novice

I just strive for the regular classes

If you could put bunny fur on the bar of the dumbell I would have a 100% retrieve every time.

Canis Lupis Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/4/2011 3:16:02 PM reply with quote send message to Canis Lupis Kennels Object to Post

It took VERY long to get my dog to retrieve much less hold a dumbbell. In training class the teacher told me to get the dog excited and want to go fetch it. I also tried another method she told me about on rubbing meat on the dumbbell. She does it now, it took so long, funny part is that she's a golden retriever.happy :)

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.