.com Forum · UK Forum

Replies in this thread : 43
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Lokei
Basic User

Basic User
11/10/2008 9:18:57 PM reply with quote send message to Lokei Object to Post

I'm not living in the UK anymore, but I used to and I wanted a Dogo Argentino badly. I had never read about an attack from any of the 3 breeds (Tosas, Filas, Dogos) so I was surprised that they were banned. I think it's pretty sad. I knew a lot of people who were terrified of those breeds without having met one.

I feel any dog can be dangerous, and that people who DO decide they want to own one of the more dominant breeds need to be responsible and take their dog to obedience classes at the very least.

I think the DDA should be reviewed, but it seems that the dog bite/dangerous dog craze may only be getting worse.

Dark Amber
Basic User

Basic User
11/10/2008 9:55:20 PM reply with quote send message to Dark Amber Object to Post

Agree with all of you. I have had a bad/good experience with pit bulls. One time I was at my aunts house and her neighbors wned four pit bulls. Two adults and two puppies. The adults were chained but had chewed through the fence and were snarling and snapping at anything that came near them while the puppies ran arond in circles chasing each other. Then my neighbors two houses down rescued a stray pit bull and she got so excited that whenever she saw me, she jumped on me (with joy) and left long scratches down my back. My parents were concerned. Then there is this German Shepard down the street that my dad has labeled viscous, but I went trick-or-treating, she let me pet her. And my dad told me to stay away from Rottweilers but I was riding in the park and she let me pet her and was very sweet. So, people stereotype breeds as viscous or kind when it's really the individual, or more like it, the owner. It is sad that they banned some breeds of dogs just because of some stupid owners. It shows you how quick people are to judge and stereotype.
 Border_Collie_Lover1
Basic User

Basic User
11/11/2008 1:02:02 PM reply with quote send message to Border_Collie_Lover1 Object to Post

I agree with everyone too and especialy mystmorning about not to run if a dog charges at you because I have heard that before.
 Chiaha
Basic User

Basic User
11/19/2008 6:16:13 PM reply with quote send message to Chiaha Object to Post

posted by mistymorning
Any dog can be aggressive if inproperly bred,trained,and/or socialized.Unfortunatly,this happens alot,and there are alot of ignorant people that have these dogs.I say ban all aggressive dogs as an individual.Ban the deed,not the breed!
Pot calling kettle much?

But, I agree, ban the dogs as individuals. But, I also have to say, that you will never see a well socialized or stranger loving Fila, because the breed is not that way. When I have enough land I will be getting a Fila to patrol it. But, I know the breed well and understand how they work. So, if people start talking about dogs having to pass temperament tests and such that is one breed that will fail and lose out completely. They are big teddy bears with family, but regard all strangers as the enemy and are independent thinkers so they do not care how you feel about it because they are there to protect you with their life.
 Border_Collie_Lover1
Basic User

Basic User
11/20/2008 5:22:55 AM reply with quote send message to Border_Collie_Lover1 Object to Post

Chiaha would they really protect you with their life? Thats so sweet of the dog because it's like "Gray Friers Bobby" in the story his owner dies! I thought that dog was so loyal and sweet.
 Chiaha
Basic User

Basic User
11/20/2008 7:10:33 AM reply with quote send message to Chiaha Object to Post

posted by Border_Collie_Lover1
Chiaha would they really protect you with their life? Thats so sweet of the dog because it's like "Gray Friers Bobby" in the story his owner dies! I thought that dog was so loyal and sweet.
While it sounds sweet, in reality it is not. Most dogs will defend their owners, without any training, from chis to mastiffs. It is pack mentality. Filas are just a different breed altogether. IMO, they are truely like no other breed of dog and that is not a good thing either really. But, it is how the breed was created and is still bred today.
 Demented Psyche
Basic User

Basic User
11/20/2008 8:25:17 AM reply with quote send message to Demented Psyche Object to Post

One thing that needs to be brought up..

The aggressive dog thing is an endless cycle. Why? Because you hear of an aggressive dog in the media and the TYPE of person that owned said dog is the exact same type that goes "Oh man, that dog is cool! I want a bad *bleep* dog too!". So some idiot that wants a bad *bleep* dog goes out and gets one. Obviously this idiot knows nothing about dogs except for he wants one with an aggressive temperament and so fosters this temperament. What happens? HIS dog bites someone, it gets put in the media and some other idiot repeats the cycle.

~Morgan
 PetbeKees
Basic User

Basic User
11/23/2008 5:14:38 AM reply with quote send message to PetbeKees Object to Post

Although I am a volunteer for Cats Protection in the North of England, I do believe in promoting Animal Welfare, as do the other major charities.

In order to take this further, we, RSPCA, Dogs Trust, local charities, local authorities and CP have joined forces to hold what we call 'Pet Roadshows'.

Under the heading of Pet Roadshow, we hold advertised events where pets can be micro-chipped free of charge, free or assisted neutering vouchers offered, free worm, flea treatment, and a free Health Check by a Vet.

This is followed by the opportunity of attending Dog Training Classes at subsidised costs.

The shows have been well attended, but I have to admit to seeing on two occasions, Staffie owners arranging matings while standing in the queue to see the Vet.

Staffie's have become accessories here in the North ( certain estates only ) and most are owned by people who have no idea how to handle them. These are strong dogs, and willful if not checked.

On one estate, 63 Staffie owners signed up for Dog Training, 4 turned up, and that has now dwindled to 1.

Education is the key, meantime we do need people to be aware that the Staffie ( or other fashionable breed ) may not be as controlled as we would like it to be.

Chris
 Kliazma
Basic User

Basic User
11/23/2008 6:35:10 AM reply with quote send message to Kliazma Object to Post

I do agree with the above. It is a two way thing, some breeds are naturally more 'agressive' than others eg a staffie is biologically more that way inclined than a border collie (though there's obviously some exceptions) but equally so the wrong training and owner can completley change that as it has in the past.

An animal roadshow sounds a fantastic idea, if only more people attended.
 Wicken Fen Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/23/2008 10:35:48 AM reply with quote send message to Wicken Fen Kennels Object to Post

posted by Demented Psyche
One thing that needs to be brought up..

The aggressive dog thing is an endless cycle. Why? Because you hear of an aggressive dog in the media and the TYPE of person that owned said dog is the exact same type that goes "Oh man, that dog is cool! I want a bad *bleep* dog too!". So some idiot that wants a bad *bleep* dog goes out and gets one. Obviously this idiot knows nothing about dogs except for he wants one with an aggressive temperament and so fosters this temperament. What happens? HIS dog bites someone, it gets put in the media and some other idiot repeats the cycle.

~Morgan

Well said - but isn't that what the media likes.
Let's face it "Good natured dog allows children to pet it in the park" doesn't sell papers.
 Kliazma
Basic User

Basic User
11/25/2008 12:10:44 PM reply with quote send message to Kliazma Object to Post

So true, and it's very sad. But thats the power the media have
 Carat
Basic User

Basic User
11/25/2008 3:37:00 PM reply with quote send message to Carat Object to Post

i dont think its to do with the breed being an agressive breed. its more to do that if a dog with a locking jaw is agressive it can do a lot more damage, the same with large dogs.

unfortunately these are the breeds that the idiots want, as they make them look better. This just creates the steriotype too.

There are a lot of staffies near me, not trained properly and only walked when they need to back there owner up.

its sad, bring back dog licencing! people should prove they have the know-how to care for and train dogs.

Chiaha
Basic User

Basic User
11/25/2008 3:42:32 PM reply with quote send message to Chiaha Object to Post

posted by Carat
i dont think its to do with the breed being an agressive breed. its more to do that if a dog with a locking jaw is agressive it can do a lot more damage, the same with large dogs.

unfortunately these are the breeds that the idiots want, as they make them look better. This just creates the steriotype too.

There are a lot of staffies near me, not trained properly and only walked when they need to back there owner up.

its sad, bring back dog licencing! people should prove they have the know-how to care for and train dogs.

There is no such thing as a dog with a locking jaw, that is a myth. o.o
 Tic Tacs
Basic User

Basic User
11/26/2008 2:26:55 AM reply with quote send message to Tic Tacs Object to Post

Here a few measures I would like to see,but it proberly won't ever happen
Bring in compulsery Training for owners,No certificte no Dog,Much tougher deterents for puppy farmers,and educate all public on the dangers of buying breeds that have known health problems that have not been testedi.e hip/elbow scores eyetesting ect.
I have been saying this for years
 Kliazma
Basic User

Basic User
11/26/2008 9:50:48 AM reply with quote send message to Kliazma Object to Post

I agree with the above post. So many people do not get their dogs eyes/hips etc scored before breeding
 gr8 kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/19/2008 4:00:14 PM reply with quote send message to gr8 kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

I love dogs and I really don't like some people where I live because i walk my dog who is a very excitable 6 month old puppy who wants to say hello to every single dog around and then people come around with staffies off the lead. My dog has nearly been savaged twice. I think staffies would make great family pets if only people didn't spoil there reputation. Where I live boys who look about 18 wander around with staffies trying to look fierce. I say these people should not be allowed to keep dogs. ITS NOT FAIR
 gr8 kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/19/2008 4:09:12 PM reply with quote send message to gr8 kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

user wiped their message
 gr8 kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/19/2008 4:09:31 PM reply with quote send message to gr8 kennels Object to Post

No Message.
 gr8 kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/19/2008 4:09:47 PM reply with quote send message to gr8 kennels Object to Post

No Message.
 gr8 kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/19/2008 4:10:05 PM reply with quote send message to gr8 kennels Object to Post

No Message.

Replies in this thread : 43
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing