.com Forum · American Forum

Replies in this thread : 21
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Big Brown Loses!
 In the Distance Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/7/2008 6:11:30 PM reply with quote send message to In the Distance Kennels Object to Post   

Big Brown has lost the Belmont and Triple Crown. Da Tara won. Big Brown didn't look very good before the race. He held a strong 3rd until about a half way around when Da Tara pulled ahead and he fell back. Big Brown never responded to Kent and never gave that burst of speed to win. I think it was the fact he drew post 1. He won the derby at the 20 post and an outside post with the preakness. I don't think he likes starting on the inside because he gets boxed in. He threw his head up as if he was agiated by all the horses closed in on him. It also wasted energy getting him to the outside to hold 3rd. It might have done better at the 9 or 10 post. Does anyone know what place Denis of Cork came in? Westminster's dad trains him so I was cheering for him but in my disappointment over Big Brown I didn't notice his place.

A very disappointed...
 BigBadWolfKennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/7/2008 6:17:23 PM reply with quote send message to BigBadWolfKennels Object to Post

You watched that to? Big red would have been something for the first time in 20-30 years! I watched it in America even though i post in Uk becouse i have Scottish in me! So, that was terribleZ! My dad was at the race. He placed a bet on him....
 BigBadWolfKennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/7/2008 6:18:12 PM reply with quote send message to BigBadWolfKennels Object to Post

Not in the top 5!
 german_shepherd-luver
Basic User

Basic User
6/7/2008 7:31:53 PM reply with quote send message to german_shepherd-luver Object to Post

i was so mad when i saw Big Brown lost!!! the trainer knew he couldnt win! sad :(
 Sheeba Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/7/2008 8:38:46 PM reply with quote send message to Sheeba Kennels Object to Post

The jockey pulled Big Brown up because he wasn't feeling himself and wasn't trying like usual. If I was the jockey I would have thought something was wrong too and pulled him up. I respect him for throwing the race for the well-being of the poor horse.
 BigBadWolfKennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/7/2008 8:44:18 PM reply with quote send message to BigBadWolfKennels Object to Post

That IS true.... but, i like dogs better than horses so..gl!
 Crow2008
Basic User

Basic User
6/7/2008 11:43:55 PM reply with quote send message to Crow2008 Object to Post

my husband watched the race (I was at work) and he says they said Big Brown was injured, he had a split hoof, or something....

yes, if the jockey pulled him out because of the injury, I think that is commendable, better an alive horse who lost a race, than a winner horse who is dead..

Short dog
Basic User

Basic User
6/8/2008 6:44:22 AM reply with quote send message to Short dog Object to Post

posted by german_shepherd-luver
i was so mad when i saw Big Brown lost!!! the trainer knew he couldnt win! sad :(
I watched and his trainer guaranteed a win before the race. That was the kiss of death, lol.
 Snider
Basic User

Basic User
6/8/2008 7:06:16 AM reply with quote send message to Snider Object to Post

Denis of Cork, I believe came in 2nd. I watched the race and was really pulling for both Cork and Big Brown.

Terri ~
 In the Distance Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/8/2008 7:26:53 AM reply with quote send message to In the Distance Kennels Object to Post

posted by Snider
Denis of Cork, I believe came in 2nd. I watched the race and was really pulling for both Cork and Big Brown.

Terri ~

That's at least good. Westminster will be really excited!

Impressively Loved
Basic User

Basic User
6/8/2008 8:04:33 AM reply with quote send message to Impressively Loved Object to Post

I agree with Crow and Sheeba. He definetly pulled him up. At one point he was pulling at the bit to get to second place, but Ken held him back. Yes, I think they could have won the race, if ken had let him go, but at what cost? The jockey thought he was "hurt" in some way early on, and wasn't going to sacrifice the horse for a title. I respect him for that.

Impress
 .Envoy.
Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2008 1:54:25 PM reply with quote send message to .Envoy. Object to Post

^ he did pull him - there was something wrong with Brown so the jockey did the right thing
 trentskennel2
Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2008 2:20:36 PM reply with quote send message to trentskennel2 Object to Post

Big Brown went into the race with a quarter crack on one of his front feet. It was treated on the friday but clearly wasn't enough time to heel properly.
Good for the jockey who pulled up before any serious injuries occured
 Impressively Loved
Basic User

Basic User
6/12/2008 10:03:29 AM reply with quote send message to Impressively Loved Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by trentskennel2
Big Brown went into the race with a quarter crack on one of his front feet. It was treated on the friday but clearly wasn't enough time to heel properly.
Good for the jockey who pulled up before any serious injuries occured

This can be controversial in the horse world as to how it can affect a horse (the "quarter" crack - which I guess means it was a vertical crack in the quarter of his hoof?). In my opinion, shoes affect the horses performance - negatively. Horses wern't born with shoes, we have not done anything to them to make them neeed shoes - there is no need for shoes for the average horse.

I will admit, there are occasions that horses are always on pavement and might need shoes (as God didn't create them to walk on pavement/concrete), and occasionally they can be useful for corrective purposes. Although, many times a boot can suffice to protect the hoof from pavement and rocks.

However, I have used shoes, seen shoes misused and NOT used shoes for 7 years, and I must say, I swear by the latter.

Without shoeing, you minimize the chance of abcesses, lamesness, quicking, bruising, and the overall uncleanliness(sp?) of the hoof. The hoof can breathe better and recieve natural condition to all parts of the hoof, without the ristriction of a shoe. Also, if properly and frequently trimmed, you minimize the chance of sand cracks (verticle cracks in the hoof wall), hoof bulging, and other unsightly and many times detrimental, problems with the hoof.

This may be very new to your ears "a crazy person obesssesd with dogs and doesn't shoe her horses!" But I tell you, I have battled and seen battles of many of the above (particularly abcess, bulging and cracks) with shoed horses. I have little to none of theses problems, since I quit shoeing.

All my very personal opinion above, and maybe even slightly off topic, but there you go. Read up if you wish... Maybe there a few that have followed the same route. Oh and did I mention that the pocket book likes you better too?

(try searching for Natural Hoof Practioners)

With Love to the SD community,

Impressivley Loved

www.andalusians-for-you.com/quarter-crack.html
 Sheeba Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/12/2008 12:03:04 PM reply with quote send message to Sheeba Kennels Object to Post

Horses do indeed NEED shoes. They take there feet off the ground a bit and if they don't have them their feet will bruise. A quarter crack is a crack that runs from the hairline at the top of the hoof to part way down the hoof.
 Impressively Loved
Basic User

Basic User
6/12/2008 12:46:08 PM reply with quote send message to Impressively Loved Object to Post

posted by Sheeba Kennels
Horses do indeed NEED shoes. They take there feet off the ground a bit and if they don't have them their feet will bruise. A quarter crack is a crack that runs from the hairline at the top of the hoof to part way down the hoof.
Yes, I agreed to the part about what a quarter crack is. (points to link and personal statement)

However, as my above post stated, I do not concur that horses ever NEED shoes. At times they can be useful, and on rare occasions benficial. But by far, are shoes needed or necessary. You may think they are, but you must admit there are occasions when they aren't "necessary", by common terms. Horses have even been "trimming" their own hooves in the wild for decades (by grinding them on rocks).

I propose that shoes are not needed, but hoof trimming is extremly beneficial. At most times, trimming/farriering is necessary to good hoof health and development. But I conclude that horse shoes are, especially in this day in age, more of a habit (and now a nuisance) than a necessity. I think, from experience, that shoes are more harmful to the hoof than good.

I don't mean to burn any bridges, make enemies, or say others are "wrong", I am proposing my side of what I see as evidences for not using shoes and against horse shoeing.

www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=why+do+horses+wear+shoes

General concenses? Horses don't ever "need" or have to "have" shoes. Albeit some breeds have thinner walled hooves than others and may benefit from shoes. But does it override the disadvantages from shoes? I beg to differ.

Impressively Loved
 DeadSet
Basic User

Basic User
6/12/2008 12:59:19 PM reply with quote send message to DeadSet Object to Post

Shoes are generally "needed" for horses that have had them their entire lives. The hoof is just naturally softer. With wild horses taken from the plains, they've never seen a shoe. Their hooves are generally very sturdy and can handle a lot more than a horse born in captivity.

~Morgan
 trentskennel2
Basic User

Basic User
6/12/2008 2:18:06 PM reply with quote send message to trentskennel2 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Quarter Cracks vary in how severe they are, which is why I think it was the reason Big Brown ran poorly.

In horse racing I think that shoes are very beneficial. Simply because of how hard they run. I worked at a track for 3 years, typically the babies come in never having had shoes on. They are kept trimmed and hold up OK but the babies aren't run hard. As soon as they are ready for a workout they have their shoes put on to prevent bruising, etc.

I agree that most horses don't need shoes. But in this case, with the racehorses I do think that it is important. May I ask what type of riding you do?
 Impressively Loved
Basic User

Basic User
6/12/2008 3:16:53 PM reply with quote send message to Impressively Loved Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Quarter Cracks vary in how severe they are, which is why I think it was the reason Big Brown ran poorly.
Yes I read up on them, they were as I thought by the way. Its amazing how broad the term is. A quarter crack can be slightsurfacey crack in the hoof to a deep slice into it (not really a slice, as its from the hoof tearing from the coronary band down, not a foreign object puncturing the outer wall).

His must have been pretty bad. And I do agree that most race horses need shoes. Thoroughbreds (as well as a lot of other race horses) have thin walled hooves, and through "poor" breeding (not meaning the lineage) they have gotten unnaturally flimsy. Not to mention our moist climates in the eastern US. The shoes also help prevent shock and concusion to the hoof (which we can call bruising...). That is also how quarter cracks, adn other sand cracks can evolve. From the fast beating of the hooves along with the hooves being thin and flimsy.

Again, this is a pretty good link on quarter cracks.

www.andalusians-for-you.com/quarter-crack.html

I do not show currently. I prefer english riding though.

Impress
 Westminster
Basic User

Basic User
6/21/2008 7:19:16 AM reply with quote send message to Westminster Object to Post

Does anyone know what place Denis of Cork came in? Westminster's dad trains him so I was cheering for him but in my disappointment over Big Brown I didn't notice his place.

I know this is a semi-old post but I have to answer this question, Denis ran second and a very good one at that.

-WST
 In the Distance Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/21/2008 8:10:48 AM reply with quote send message to In the Distance Kennels Object to Post

Wow, that is really good!

~In the Distance Kennels

Replies in this thread : 21
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.