.com Forum · American Forum

Replies in this thread : 48
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Fantasias
Basic User

Basic User
5/3/2008 6:15:50 PM reply with quote send message to Fantasias Object to Post

Very sadsad :( At least the actual breakdown was not on TV. It's becoming a common thing now, all these broken legs, seems like every race has them anymore (I know they don't, but it sure is a high number).

Something needs to be done about this, these horses are not being bred for sturdiness anymore, and they're being raced far too young. It's not like a horse has a short lifespan, they can start racing after they have stopped developing. Horses are still getting adult teeth in a 3 years old, and they're being raced to deathsad :( Poor things, I have always watched the Triple Crown, for my entire life, but now am becoming leary of it, I don't want to see anymore tragedies....

Wendy
 sarahj
Basic User

Basic User
5/3/2008 7:26:36 PM reply with quote send message to sarahj Object to Post

Poor horse. I hate it when things like this happen.
 tarad202
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/4/2008 12:44:53 AM reply with quote send message to tarad202 Object to Post

I was very sad when they announced she had to be put down. She was such a beautiful horse, and she tried her best, but unfortunatly things like that happen. sad :(
 Westminster
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2008 6:00:22 AM reply with quote send message to Westminster Object to Post

um it was both of her ankles and did u see denis of cork came in 3rd!! my dad trains him!
 B Collies Rock
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2008 7:54:16 AM reply with quote send message to B Collies Rock Object to Post

Congratualtions Westminster! I am very sad about Eight Belles, but I kind of feel bad for everyone else who did well, because their triumph war marred. I did notice Denis of Cork, though.
 In the Distance Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2008 7:56:26 AM reply with quote send message to In the Distance Kennels Object to Post

I watched! I was cheering for Eight Belles the only filly in the race but she fractured her front legs and had to be put down after she came in second! I was so sad.

If people would wait until the legs were fully develped then maybe she wouldn't have died. Horses bones aren't fully mature until 5 years old. When they race these 2/3 year olds the stress on their undevolped young legs is just too much. It causes injury, death or later leg problems. The reason why they race young horses is because they "run faster when young" but that is not true. You would do better with a 7 year old horse that is fully mature.

I'm done with my rambling.

Little Rosebuds
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2008 8:56:43 AM reply with quote send message to Little Rosebuds Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

yes, even if they did run faster at 2 or 3, so what, you move up the racing age, to something like 5 or 6, then you have horses the same age racing, i could see not wanting to enter an 8 year old against a 2 year old, but if its an 8 against and 7/8/9...*gah* idk...im just trying to make sense to myself,i should stop trying...

well anyway, congrats to Big Brown,and may eight belles rest in peace

eta-sp-peace

Westminster
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2008 9:52:14 AM reply with quote send message to Westminster Object to Post

Ok, the only big thing you need to worry about with their legs is that their knees are closed and they are when they race and you don't race older horses for the first time for many reasons like it would be hard to teach them all the things you need to teach them and they need years in the breeding shed. You don't know how much work it takes to put into these animals so don't critizize or make insults about them please.

Eight Bells did well, but watching her train she was the worst mover I have ever seen so she put a lot of stress on herself. She always would run like a star though, but that race made an overload of stress on herself. She always ran awesome though.

On the other hand I was with an ]over load of joy when Denis of Cork came in third. Celebrate the triumph not the tradgedy.
 Westminster
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2008 4:49:21 PM reply with quote send message to Westminster Object to Post

B

U

M

P!!!!!!!!!
 Westminster
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2008 4:51:37 PM reply with quote send message to Westminster Object to Post

Nobody from the Derby excpet Big Brown so far is heading into the preakness. Denis of Cork is heading for the Belmont so he can have time to get back into it although after the race he was a back to normal and happy as ever!
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2008 5:13:12 PM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

Big Brown is going to the Preakness.
 Westminster
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2008 5:26:39 PM reply with quote send message to Westminster Object to Post

Oh ya sorry, Im saying no other horse is excpet Big Brown.

Big Brown right now is just an absolute monster.
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2008 5:33:44 PM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

posted by Westminster
Well duh, Im saying no other horse is.

Hes a monster and a freak.

There is absolutely no need for such attitude. As for saying "no other horse is", that is not what you said.

posted by Westminster
Nobody from the Derby so far is heading into the preakness.
Hrm.. "Nobody from the Derby"..
 Westminster
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2008 5:44:08 PM reply with quote send message to Westminster Object to Post

Ok, calling a horse that is a big complement on the track and in racing if you listen its not an attitude
 ScarecrowKennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2008 6:55:13 PM reply with quote send message to ScarecrowKennels Object to Post

posted by Westminster
did u see denis of cork came in 3rd!! my dad trains him!
You're Irish?! laugh :D
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2008 9:52:15 PM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

posted by Westminster
Ok, calling a horse that is a big complement on the track and in racing if you listen its not an attitude
I was not refering to what you called the horse, rather the "Duh" that was aimed in my direction.
 Westminster
Basic User

Basic User
5/5/2008 6:33:37 AM reply with quote send message to Westminster Object to Post

sorry i was saying rather referring it to me
 Westminster
Basic User

Basic User
5/5/2008 3:39:35 PM reply with quote send message to Westminster Object to Post

oh ya im irish, the owners named him after a priest in ireland
 Brutally Honest
Basic User

Basic User
5/6/2008 6:13:02 AM reply with quote send message to Brutally Honest Object to Post

A kid in my school, his father was the winning jockey. Must be pretty exciting for his family! They announced it in school yesterday. happy :)
~Kate
 ScarecrowKennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/6/2008 11:48:09 AM reply with quote send message to ScarecrowKennels Object to Post

posted by Westminster
oh ya im irish, the owners named him after a priest in ireland
Do you prefer here or there? Have friends in Ireland.

Replies in this thread : 48
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class