Search

.com Forum · American Forum

Replies in this thread : 14

Author Topic : Shy On Ice
 Shybade
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/10/2007 12:26:03 PM reply with quote send message to Shybade Object to Post   

As many of you know, the midwest is being slammed with ice. We had the first round yesterday. When you work in certain lines of work, you never really get a break- no matter what is going on outside, you still have to get to work. Sadly, my job is one of those, and I had to work yesterday. Dogs don't care if it's nasty outside and you risk your life to get there- they just know that they're hungry and they need to go outside to potty.

When I got to work in the morning- everything was fine. The ice didn't start until I was there for a couple of hours- here's a shot from the kennels front porch-

www.loveofbreeds.com/FreePhotos/D9/12907snow1.jpg

As you can see we have already gotten quite a bit of snow a few days before, and now toss some ice on top of it.

Here's a tree behind the kennel-
www.loveofbreeds.com/FreePhotos/D9/12907snow2.jpg

Here's a nice view of the ice on a bush in front of the kennel-
www.loveofbreeds.com/FreePhotos/D9/13907icedtree6.jpg

The main roads are fine here, but the side streets are like glass. I went out today and got everything we're going to need for the week because we're supposed to get another dose of ice tonight, and more again tomorrow. They're hoping that the current ice melts off of the power lines today before the next round of ice hits- or we're going to have some major power outages going on.

So, today I had to break down and call my ex to make sure we're still on good terms. I hated doing that, but I do have a motive... he works for the power company happy :) . When we're on good terms, he makes sure that my area is on the top of the list to be put back in power... am I evil or what? lol
 JoeNJackies
Basic User

Basic User
12/10/2007 2:35:08 PM reply with quote send message to JoeNJackies Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

lol yes, you are evil.

We have had a ton of ice over here on this side of the state too. We had a hard time just plain walking to the car because the driveway was complete ice! I saw a little girl pulling another girl across the sidewalk on a sled. If a sled slides that easily (she was running) down a SHOVELED sidewalk, you know its bad lol

More expected here tonight too. NOT fun. We just got some of the ice scraped off the driveway yesterday, don't want to have to do it again lol

-Jackie

edited because I typed "hear" and not "here" *hits self*
 emin3mspaz9
Basic User

Basic User
12/10/2007 2:57:01 PM reply with quote send message to emin3mspaz9 Object to Post

My job is just like yours Shy! The dogs at the kennel I work at don't care that it's freezing and icy outside, they have to potty! It has been snowing a lot where I am too. I am just glad that I bought a 4-wheel drive truck instead of a little car!

Spazzy
 Logan Creek Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/10/2007 3:21:00 PM reply with quote send message to Logan Creek Kennels Object to Post

Shy, what part of the midwest do you live in? Saint Joseph Missouri has about an inch more snow, and were expecting TONS of ice.

I just read midwest, haha. I hate midwest winters.
harsh snow, hot summer
 Ltlpistol*s Lights
Basic User

Basic User
12/10/2007 3:24:19 PM reply with quote send message to Ltlpistol*s Lights Object to Post

Beautiful pictures! I know how much of a headache ice is, but it sure is pretty in pictures.

We had an ice storm about 10 years ago here near Houston, and so many trees simply exploded with the ice, and the roads were impassible, mostly because nobody is used to that kind of weather here. It was beautiful to look at, but a pain to have to go out in.
 Shybade
Basic User

Basic User
12/10/2007 3:32:57 PM reply with quote send message to Shybade Object to Post

Right now, walking is more dangerous than driving. I got everything cleared off for the dogs to go outside, but I know I'll be out there several times through the night trying to keep it clear so the boys don't slip. The Schnauzers are very careful, but my Weim just isn't that smart- which is why I tend to refer to him as "big dumb dog".

Logan, I'm in Fort Wayne Indiana- hot and very humid in the summer, and those lovely "lake effect" winters- we get some nasty stuff from the great lakes lol Right now it's 32 degrees outside and I don't think the ice is going to melt off the power lines, so things probably wont be good. But, my ex has worked for the power company for decades and can call crews out to certain areas, so hopefully he didn't realize the motive for my call today lol I've been pretty mean to him lately, so calling him and being nice was probably a shock lol
 Action Dog Agility
Basic User

Basic User
12/10/2007 4:40:48 PM reply with quote send message to Action Dog Agility Object to Post

Oh-I saw that on the news!
It looks quite scary-those huge trucks slippin on the road-and oh the dogs-cant run around!lol
 Logan Creek Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/11/2007 6:38:45 PM reply with quote send message to Logan Creek Kennels Object to Post

We dont have power at my house. We have about 3 inches of freezing rain. Kujois kennel collasped, and my friends house caught fire. Our transformer broke off the powerline and we probably wont have power for the rest of the week. I hope all is well with you Shy, be safe!

Logan at a friends house.
 Shybade
Basic User

Basic User
12/14/2007 5:54:37 PM reply with quote send message to Shybade Object to Post

Wow Logan, I hope everything gets back to normal soon! Thankfully the temperature here got a little warmer than they thought and we didn't get ice- just rain. The rain melted all the snow on the ground and now the rivers aren't looking too good lol. Starting tomorrow they're calling for 4-6 inches of snow... which means I get to shovel paths in the backyard so the boys can potty. I never had to do that when I had all big dogs lol These Schnauzers are just way too pampered... I say that as I glance over at the 3rd set of doggy steps that I bought today (so they can get up on the couch without having to jump... yes, they are rotten!
 Logan Creek Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/15/2007 1:53:50 PM reply with quote send message to Logan Creek Kennels Object to Post

Still no power over here, getting TONS of snow, Kujoi loves it at my aunts house. We wont have power until late monday probably, and the highschools are shelters so we probably wont have school next week either, last week we went a day thats it... we dont even have our christmas tree up... CRAP! lol
 Shybade
Basic User

Basic User
12/15/2007 9:25:10 PM reply with quote send message to Shybade Object to Post

Now they're calling for up to 15 inches of snow here in the next couple days. We're used to snow here, but 15 inches will shut things down for at least a day. The actual snow isn't the real bad part- the winds will be what really makes it bad- they're saying we're going to have 40 mph winds with this, and that's going to keep blowing the snow all over the place- so the plows will have to keep going back over it.
 Logan Creek Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/15/2007 10:26:10 PM reply with quote send message to Logan Creek Kennels Object to Post

posted by Shybade
Now they're calling for up to 15 inches of snow here in the next couple days. We're used to snow here, but 15 inches will shut things down for at least a day. The actual snow isn't the real bad part- the winds will be what really makes it bad- they're saying we're going to have 40 mph winds with this, and that's going to keep blowing the snow all over the place- so the plows will have to keep going back over it.
I hate midwest winters, end of story.

KC news say its gonna feel like -7 tonight so ughhh.

Good thing is though we got power restored! The neighbors called the cell and told us the living room light came on, so tomorrow were going home to battle the nasty fridge...and check on the animals we couldnt take with us (I.E., Guinea Pig, Cat)

Stay safe shy, snow is fun to play in though...lol! Kujoi loved the snow we got tonight at my aunts, so we'll have to exchange pictures
 Shybade
Basic User

Basic User
1/7/2008 10:23:28 PM reply with quote send message to Shybade Object to Post

After all the snow/ice we've had- today it got up into the 60's- broke the record high for today.

To top it all off... right now there is a tornado watch out and we're in the middle of a nasty thunderstorm.

We had a bunch of snow melt over the last couple of days and the ground is totally saturated, plus the rivers are already high- and now we're getting a lot of rain. There are flood alerts out now. There are 3 rivers than run through this city... not good lol
 Logan Creek Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/7/2008 11:19:09 PM reply with quote send message to Logan Creek Kennels Object to Post

Were in the same boat AGAIN Shy, were getting thunder and rain as well.

And same with the highs, we had about 50 today.

DANG WEATHERRR.
 B Collies Rock
Basic User

Basic User
1/15/2008 8:02:55 PM reply with quote send message to B Collies Rock Object to Post

Over in the east it has been very messy. We've had rain and ice since the begining of December. We had a couple of warm days, but that made verything melt and then freeze again when the cold front came. All feilds and yards are a mess.

Replies in this thread : 14

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.