Search

.com Forum · American Forum

Replies in this thread : 15

Author Topic : “I Am An Animal: The Story of Ingrid Newkirk and PETA” – Watched it today.
 Da Vinci
Basic User

System.__ComObject
11/30/2007 7:36:25 PM reply with quote send message to Da Vinci Object to Post   

this post has been edited 4 time(s)

THIS THREAD IS NOT MEANT TO BASH ANY ANIMAL RIGHTS ORGANIZATION. MY ESSAY IS A REVIEW OF A FILM I WATCHED AND I AM HOPING FOR FEEDBACK ON THE FILM, NOT PETA.

“I Am An Animal: The Story of Ingrid Newkirk and PETA” is a documentary that premiered on HBO this past Monday. I watched this hour and sixteen minute story was no prior knowledge of Ms. Newkirk or the PETA organization.

During this whole film, I didn’t know whether to sympathize with Ms. Newkirk and her extremely adamant belief of animal rights or side with the other who participated in the film, calling the organization “radical”, “unreal”, and “not for the real rights of what animals stand for.” I do believe in some of PETAs rallies, they seem to exploit animals. But, the message gets across loud and clear. At one point in the film, a doctor at a Sinai Hospital mentioned how he believes “they would rather see animals dead then in the hands of humans.” This might be so, but how do we really know what can be the great effect or purpose of PETA?

The FBI’s belief of PETA affiliating with ALF seems almost possible.

Alex Pacheco, co-founder of PETA, made many notations to how Ms. Newkirk now runs the company. He seems almost bitter and is no longer a member of PETA (wonder why?).

One underground operation that went on during filming was the abuse of turkeys in the ConAgra farms (owned Butterball at one point.) The clips were heart-wrenching but didn’t change my mind on eating these animals. It is extremely difficult to know where the abuse is happening and I cannot change a usual habit because of this.

There is probably only one thing that really made me upset during the film. That was the campaign of animal slaughter and the Holocaust. I do not see the comparison and it pushed ethical and emtional boundaries for me since I have studied the Holocaust. That was a horrible genocide with no real purpose. Most animals are here for human consumption. However, I do no agree with the abuse that animals recieve before being killed. That is the TRUE crime that we should be fighting for.

This documentary didn’t really show me the full effect of PETA but I do now understand what this might be all about. It did not change my beliefs on the maltreatment of animals or their rights, it only strengthened it.

-----------------------------

Did anyone see this film as well? You are free to make a statement.

BTW, my whole essay is (CR)!

-----------------------------

www.hbo.com/docs/programs/iamananimal/

- Muriel
 Da Vinci
Basic User

Basic User
12/1/2007 6:41:19 AM reply with quote send message to Da Vinci Object to Post

C'mon, no one watched it? happy :)

- Muriel
 Jessie and Kellys Collies
Basic User

Basic User
12/1/2007 7:22:29 AM reply with quote send message to Jessie and Kellys Collies Object to Post

I HATE P.E.T.A...
 Da Vinci
Basic User

Basic User
12/1/2007 9:59:44 AM reply with quote send message to Da Vinci Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

posted by Jessie and Kellys Collies
I HATE P.E.T.A...
Jessie and Kellys Collies, instead of me just saying 'thanks for responding', could you elaborate on why you hate PETA? Insight is taken into consideration and would be enjoyed happy :)

Remember, I watched this knowing nothing about PETA or the founders.

Thank you!

- Muriel
 Jessie and Kellys Collies
Basic User

Basic User
12/1/2007 10:33:57 AM reply with quote send message to Jessie and Kellys Collies Object to Post

Well, It is run by a sick women. Her opinion is that animals are better off without humans than with humans. Didn't you here about the time they went into a dog shelter, adopted 10 dogs & then put them down in the back of their van - they were convinced that it was better for the animals to be dead than with a loving family...
 Stacis Royals
Basic User

Basic User
12/1/2007 10:37:22 AM reply with quote send message to Stacis Royals Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

WOW I didnt know that...

I wont say what I think of that as it would probably get my account locked! What horrible people.
 YukonGoldECS
Basic User

Basic User
12/3/2007 10:17:42 PM reply with quote send message to YukonGoldECS Object to Post

mmm...People Eating Tastey Animals!

Sorry random though, good article.

Yukon
 Evil Intentions
Basic User

Basic User
12/3/2007 11:08:55 PM reply with quote send message to Evil Intentions Object to Post

I saw it listed and because I hate PETA so much I refuse to watch it. LOL.

~Morgan
 shortie_tall
Basic User

Basic User
12/4/2007 5:16:07 AM reply with quote send message to shortie_tall Object to Post

Yes P.E.T.A might be bad.. i agree. But you must keep in mind not all animal activist follow the PETA, my family and i have beem animal activist for years, but not the "set the animals free type"

Shortie
 Evil Intentions
Basic User

Basic User
12/4/2007 11:24:16 AM reply with quote send message to Evil Intentions Object to Post

One has to realize that PETA believe in animal RIGHTs. Most other activist believe in animal WELFARE. Which are two totally different things.

~Morgan
 The *Legends*
Basic User

Basic User
12/7/2007 5:26:44 PM reply with quote send message to The *Legends* Object to Post

P.E.T.A thinks that most dogs and animals should be ridden from the human race which is a REALLY REALLY STUIPD THOUGHT TO EVEN CONSIDER SUCH A THING. They kill 85% of the dogs they rescue and use the money gaven to do it(WHICH REALLY SAD)They even kill animal adoptable

THE PETA IS SICK MIND FOR DOING SUCH THINGS

here is a website about it

www.wesleyjsmith.com/blog/2005/07/peta-kills-dogs-and-cats-even-if.htmt

( not meaning to bash animal rescue centers either)

Spring side Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/20/2007 4:21:06 PM reply with quote send message to Spring side Kennels Object to Post

OMG, don't even get me started with them....point is I hate them...

here is another site you may want to see, I highly suggest you read the court rulings....

www.petakillsanimals.com/
 Spring side Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/20/2007 4:49:13 PM reply with quote send message to Spring side Kennels Object to Post

some facts:

did you know PETA spent 9,370.00 donation money to buy a walk-in freezer?

(doesn't really matter huh?)

Do you know what they use it for?

They use it for storing animal carcasses!

at the PETA trial the admittedly killed 2 dalmatians in the back of one of there vans! They where also for with a tack box full of drugs in there van! PETA KILLS ANIMALS MORE OFTEN THAN NOT! Do you call KILLING animals "ETHICAL" treatment? I don't!
 Da Vinci
Basic User

Basic User
12/20/2007 5:57:12 PM reply with quote send message to Da Vinci Object to Post

The whole point of this thread was thrown off the point.

Originally, this post was to discuss the documentary and not PETA in general. I had asked Jessie and Kellys Collies to specify what they didn’t like about the organization because I thought the comment was rather bold. It was not really an invite for anyone else to outwardly bash the group, regardless of what they are accused of doing to animals.

Spring side and everyone else who posted links, I am not asking for evidence or reason to dislike PETA. The documentary did not provide enough information on what their
“mission” is and I can’t really judge them and I will not.

So, from this point on, I am asking that if you did not watch the film, please don’t post.

- Muriel
 Da Vinci
Basic User

Basic User
12/20/2007 5:57:17 PM reply with quote send message to Da Vinci Object to Post

double post.
 Silverwheel
Basic User

Basic User
12/20/2007 6:28:08 PM reply with quote send message to Silverwheel Object to Post

I watched....twice! A real eye-opener! This is what I personally came away from it with, weather you like or dislike the woman or the organization or both you have to admit that they keep animal rights on the front page. From doing so called good deeds or bad,one way or another they keep people listening, watching and talking..just look what happened here! I don't agree with some of their tactics but I sorta of admire(?) her for at least trying to make a difference in her own strange way. Too many people are too complacent about too many things in this world and if her outragious actions get others motivated to do it better then more power to her! Like I said I don't care much for her way of doing things and I don't think I'll be inviting her to dinner anytime soon (I eat meat and love it)but I am not ready to "stone" her eather! I was more upset by the woman on "youtube" that made clothes and purses out of cat and dog fur! Now thats sick!

Replies in this thread : 15

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.