Search

.com Forum · Non-Sporting Breeds

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Is a Standard right for me?
 agallows
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/23/2007 3:00:01 AM reply with quote send message to agallows Object to Post   

I am looking to adopt a Young/Adult Poodle, but I am not sure if the breed is right for me.

I live in an urban setting in a decent size house with very small yard, but many neighbourhood parks (on leash & off leash). Ideally I would walk the dog everyday, but I wouldn't want it to be a big deal if I didn't.

My biggest concern is energy level & exercise requirements I am quite active (hikes, walks, jogs, etc)-- but I've had some problems in the past with energetic dogs. Previously I'd taken care of an EXTREMELY energetic Brittany & she was unhappy staying at my house despite our *long* daily walks. She needed more room and eventually my dad ended up getting "full custody" of her.

I have spoken with a poodle owner and she claims that standards are perfectly suited for apartment living and that it would be no problem. But all the online information I've been reading says otherwise... except a few that say poodles are very "accomodating."

How accomodating is the breed? And is it simply a situation of choosing the right dog, a calm one vs energetic one? Is there a large gradient in energy levels from poodle to poodle?
I would appreciate any feedback, especially from poodle owners!!!
 Silver Side of Me Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/7/2007 5:22:04 PM reply with quote send message to Silver Side of Me Kennels Object to Post

Poodles are good for living in an apartment those are the toy,miniature,and teacup sizes. I would not reccound that big dog in a apartment. If you are really set on a poodle you should get a mini,teacup(not registered with a organazation),or a toy poodle. If you want a bigger dog you should get a Bull Mastiff. They require 2 walks a day if they live in an apartment or house with a small yard or 1 long walk for people with yards. They are really good about living in apartments.
 One Sky Ranch
Basic User

Basic User
9/11/2007 1:24:54 PM reply with quote send message to One Sky Ranch Object to Post

I own both Toy and Standard Poodles. I live on a ranch where they can run, but like you I don't always have the time every day for those long walks. If the weather is good I have my coffee out side and let them run for about 30 mins or an hour. If its cold They go potty and come right back in. Winter time is the tell tale season to know if a Standard can handle little excersize. I notice no behaviour changes with less excersize. I do make sure they get to run at least 3 days a week untill they drop. If you are active and take your dog with you, a Standard should fit your needs very well. I would worry more about grooming than excersize. They do need to be groomed every month (mine every 2-3 weeks) They are very smart and need to be challanged. If you work on a new trick every week and keep thier minds active you will have a better dog and less behaviour trouble. They do need a job to do, even if its turning on a light, getting a pop from the fridge, or grabbing your remote. They love to help out. This is also a form of excersize you both will enjoy. Hope this helped.

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.