Search

.com Forum · Australian Forum

Replies in this thread : 16

Author Topic : I have a question for all you Dog Show goers
 S. B. G. Chow Chows
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/24/2006 7:04:34 PM reply with quote send message to S. B. G. Chow Chows Object to Post   

I know that every country has their elite Dog Show that is a must to the attend:
America - The Eukanuba Invitational
England - Crufts
Bahamas - That Bahamas Kennel Club
well you get what I am talking about.

If so what is yours, and if so could you tell me stories about it and the fun that you all had.

Shane of S.B.G. Chow Chows
 Memorial Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/24/2006 7:08:52 PM reply with quote send message to Memorial Kennels Object to Post

What about the Westminister? I thought that was the huge one....i just don't know where.
 Promise Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/24/2006 8:06:56 PM reply with quote send message to Promise Kennels Object to Post

Yes Westminster is a huge show or america, however it is not the overall biggest must attend.

The one that I mention is the invitational as only the top 15 can attend in each breed.

Promise Kennels
 Memorial Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/24/2006 8:08:04 PM reply with quote send message to Memorial Kennels Object to Post

O, that helps, I thought the westminister was in england anyways....
 slipstream_kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/25/2006 5:49:57 AM reply with quote send message to slipstream_kennels Object to Post

The only invitational show in my area that I could think of would have to be Dog/Puppy of the Year. It is all the BIS/Puppy in show winners at certain qualifying shows that are invited to attend.

I have my Siberian puppy in it this year, so wish me luck for this Saturday!!!!!

Another big show in my area is the Brisbane Royal Show or the 'Ekka'. This is the only benched show we have a year in my area and there are always international judges.
Slipstream
 S. B. G. Chow Chows
Basic User

Basic User
10/25/2006 6:29:00 PM reply with quote send message to S. B. G. Chow Chows Object to Post

or okay. Since you are going this Saturday I must give all the luck I can. Please let me no how it turned out.

Shane of S.B.G. chow Chows
 Blue Crush
Basic User

Basic User
10/28/2006 5:08:13 AM reply with quote send message to Blue Crush Object to Post

Just got back from Puppy Of The Year.

Completely naked and naughty, Casper managed to make it up to the fourth round (there are 6 or 7 rounds).

She was knocked out by the Sealyham Terrier which went on to win Puppy Of The Year!!!!
Slipstream
 S. B. G. Chow Chows
Basic User

Basic User
10/28/2006 2:48:02 PM reply with quote send message to S. B. G. Chow Chows Object to Post

or okay. However I hoped that you had fun though!!
 Luxedo
Basic User

Basic User
11/7/2006 5:00:22 AM reply with quote send message to Luxedo Object to Post

Melbourne Royal is huge, although I've only shown at it once. Too much of a hassle and very expensive. Unless I had something that would win BOB, I would only ever attend as a spectator.
 S. B. G. Chow Chows
Basic User

Basic User
11/7/2006 5:24:54 PM reply with quote send message to S. B. G. Chow Chows Object to Post

So by what you have just said, its safe to assume that the competition is heated.

Another question, could any of you explain your pointing system.
 Dark Shadows
Basic User

Basic User
11/9/2006 3:30:55 AM reply with quote send message to Dark Shadows Object to Post

Okay, the classes over here are totally different.. These are the normal classes held at shows:

1 - Baby Puppy dog (3 - 6 months)
2 - Minor Puppy Dog (6 - 9 months)
3 - Puppy Dog (9 - 12 months)
4 - Junior Dog (12 - 18 months)
5 - Intermediate Dog (18months - 3years)
10 - Aust. Bred Dog (bred in Australia)
11 - Open Dog (6 months or older)

1a - Baby Puppy Bitch
2a - Minor Puppy Dog
3a - Puppy Bitch
4a - Junior Bitch
5a - Intermediate Bitch
10 - Aust Bred Bitch
11 - Open Bitch

Okay, so those are all the normal classes at a show. Some shows (very few) also hold Desexed, Veteran and State Bred classes.

Any dog above 6 months of age is eligible for the 'Challenge' lineup (Winners Dog/Bitch).
If you win the Challenge you will then get 6 points for your dog being entered than 1 point for every other dog of that sex/breed being exhibited.
The most amount of points you can get it one show is 25. Winning a Best In Group (group 1st) or Best In Show will usually give you 25 points unless it is a really small show.

There are no such thing as Majors in the Australian Points system.

To gain your Australian Championship you need 100 points (25 of those after your dog is one year old)

To gain your Aust. Grand Championshp you need to get 1000 points!

Hope this helps you in understanding it more.
Dark Shadows
 S. B. G. Chow Chows
Basic User

Basic User
11/11/2006 1:09:28 PM reply with quote send message to S. B. G. Chow Chows Object to Post

Thanx I 6think I kinsa get it.

Its would be something like challenge certificates? I think England uses it an we use them aswell.

Oh yeah and after you have acheive your Aust. Gr. Ch., there is no more points that you'll require?

Shane
 Luxedo
Basic User

Basic User
11/15/2006 7:26:09 AM reply with quote send message to Luxedo Object to Post

A dog can still accumulate more points, however Grand Champ is as high as you can go.
Go to dogzonline and there you will find the top winning dogs that are competing to become Australia's dog of the year
 S. B. G. Chow Chows
Basic User

Basic User
11/15/2006 5:03:54 PM reply with quote send message to S. B. G. Chow Chows Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Do Australia allow cropping? I checked the site and I have noticed the pic of a Doberman ears was kept natural.

Oh yeah,....do Australia recognize Chow chows. I have notice the Non-Sporting group and so far they are not to be found.
 Blue Crush
Basic User

Basic User
11/15/2006 11:25:58 PM reply with quote send message to Blue Crush Object to Post

Cropping or docking is not allowed in Australia, and Chow Chows are a recognised breed, although they are not common.
Blue Crush
 Luxedo
Basic User

Basic User
11/16/2006 4:44:06 AM reply with quote send message to Luxedo Object to Post

Here's the link for Dogz Online

dogzonline.com.au/
 MysteryTzu
Basic User

Basic User
12/6/2006 7:12:10 AM reply with quote send message to MysteryTzu Object to Post

Check Out Sherae Kennels for chows in australia,
They are a big kennel located here in perth, western australia.
The big shows are Sunbury,Spring Fair and of course your royal shows (every state has there own) another big show here in perth is the western classic.

Sarah

Replies in this thread : 16

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.